Sunday School vs. Church Attendance?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Sunday School vs. Church Attendance?

Post by Josh »

One interesting thing about plain Anabaptists (particularly the plainer or more conservative ones) is that nobody just sits and rots on a membership roll who hasn't attended in years; some people are shut-ins or haven't been seen in a while, but at least the ministry knows what is going on with them.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:One interesting thing about plain Anabaptists (particularly the plainer or more conservative ones) is that nobody just sits and rots on a membership roll who hasn't attended in years; some people are shut-ins or haven't been seen in a while, but at least the ministry knows what is going on with them.
We take seriously the instruction to "[not forsake] the assembling of yourselves together, as the manner of some is."
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Josh wrote:One interesting thing about plain Anabaptists (particularly the plainer or more conservative ones) is that nobody just sits and rots on a membership roll who hasn't attended in years; some people are shut-ins or haven't been seen in a while, but at least the ministry knows what is going on with them.
We take seriously the instruction to "[not forsake] the assembling of yourselves together, as the manner of some is."
That would certainly be our situation as well.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think a lot of groups can be pretty strict concerning attendance.... for example, among the brethren circles, if you fail to take part in love feast/communion and/or refuse spring deacon's visits so many times in a row you are taken off the roll. I also think if you're not seen at regular church services for a certain period of time, you're removed as well.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Missing more than two consecutive communions without valid reason will require reinstatement as a member for us.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Hats Off wrote:Missing more than two consecutive communions without valid reason will require reinstatement as a member for us.
I think our practice is three.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Even if you aren’t a member, but regularly attend, folks will want to know where you are if you stop showing up.

I travel a lot for work and avoid travelling on Sundays, so that means I spend a lot of weekends away from home. By the time I get home, it seems everyone there already knows where I’ve been—the congregations I visit out of town end up talking to people in my home congregation that they saw me and share what I’ve been up to.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I travel a lot for work and avoid travelling on Sundays, so that means I spend a lot of weekends away from home. By the time I get home, it seems everyone there already knows where I’ve been—the congregations I visit out of town end up talking to people in my home congregation that they saw me and share what I’ve been up to.
Have you checked to see if you're being mentioned in The Budget? 8-)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote:Have you checked to see if you're being mentioned in The Budget? 8-)
You are hereby prohibited from ever mentioning that ever again! I think I'm gonna be sick now.... :D
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Okay, but have you checked in die Botshafte if the other one is out of bounds here? If you are going to be sick that other paper has many remedies that should fix whatever ails you!
0 x