Francis's miscellaneous history thread

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
francis
Affiliation:

Re: Francis's miscellaneous history thread

Post by francis »

These are some more scans from Anderson's book. (I'm not posting any of his copyrighted photos, just graphs, so not to worry.) I have to do them two at a time because of forum regulations, these had to be in color because the graphs made no sense otherwise. As such I had to shrink the resolution of the image rather than taking out the color, let me know if you would like a higher quality version of either.
Attachments
anderson5small.jpg
anderson5small.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 498 times
anderson2small.jpg
anderson2small.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 498 times
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Here are the last two scans from the appendix of "Amish Mennonites of North America" depicting populations by state. Not necessarily history but still interesting.
Attachments
anderson4small.png
anderson4small.png (694.96 KiB) Viewed 497 times
anderson3.JPG
anderson3.JPG (979.95 KiB) Viewed 497 times
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

One question I would have is the validity of the population graphs since Anderson only considers groups that are Mennonite Christian Fellowship, Beachy Amish, or some other variety of Amish Mennonite. In this particular strain of conservative Anabaptist Mennonites, Beachy Amish is the largest movement, but Anderson's measurements do not include Conservative Mennonites, BMA, Eastern Pennsylvania, or other conservative Mennonite groups.
This isn't to criticize Anderson, but I have not heard of anyone using the term "Amish Mennonite" to talk about a larger group of churches except small churches themselves which were almost always Beachy. Thus his research excludes much larger but very similar groups and to a casual reader, the Beachy church appears as a larger part of the Conservative Anabaptist movement than it really is (if we're measuring by population.)
But I suppose one has to set the definition somewhere.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

francis wrote:One question I would have is the validity of the population graphs since Anderson only considers groups that are Mennonite Christian Fellowship, Beachy Amish, or some other variety of Amish Mennonite. In this particular strain of conservative Anabaptist Mennonites, Beachy Amish is the largest movement, but Anderson's measurements do not include Conservative Mennonites, BMA, Eastern Pennsylvania, or other conservative Mennonite groups.
This isn't to criticize Anderson, but I have not heard of anyone using the term "Amish Mennonite" to talk about a larger group of churches except small churches themselves which were almost always Beachy. Thus his research excludes much larger but very similar groups and to a casual reader, the Beachy church appears as a larger part of the Conservative Anabaptist movement than it really is (if we're measuring by population.)
But I suppose one has to set the definition somewhere.
Anderson’s older work focuses on groups descended from Beachys (and his even earlier work looks into Apostolic Christians). His current work is a lot more broad.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

In the last chart above, State Rankings, first time i’ve noticed Ontario listed with “states.”
The only Province included.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Here's another timeline I found, posted by an organization called the "40 foundation" based out of Europe. It made a larger world religions tree here: https://000024.org/religions_tree/religions_tree_8.html
The anabaptist section is included below. You can also find it in the link above if the resolution is not high enough.
Attachments
mennomap.jpg
mennomap.jpg (196.1 KiB) Viewed 413 times
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Here is another image I found on Google. I will try and find a higher resolution image later.
Attachments
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg (161.86 KiB) Viewed 312 times
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

francis wrote:Here is another image I found on Google. I will try and find a higher resolution image later.
Interesting. A bit surprised that it seems to ignore groups like the Bible Fellowship, but includes some really obscure ones.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

francis wrote:Here's another timeline I found, posted by an organization called the "40 foundation" based out of Europe. It made a larger world religions tree here: https://000024.org/religions_tree/religions_tree_8.html
The anabaptist section is included below. You can also find it in the link above if the resolution is not high enough.
The first thing that came to my mind was that the Anabaptist graphics resemble a section map of the human vascular system.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God