Asking for Church Membership??

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Asking for Church Membership??

Post by steve-in-kville »

This question was most likely asked on the old forum, but thought it would make for good conversation. And my family is sorta in this situation currently.

So once you decide to attend a new congregation, how long should you visit until you ask for membership? Obviously various factors come into play such as: Its of the same conference as your former church; you moved to a new area; you attended there as a child, got married and moved away and now you're back; your former church imploded into a bajillion pieces and you're wary; the list goes on...

Discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Asking for Church Membership??

Post by Ernie »

About 10 years ago I moved to a church in a distant state. Within a couple months the deacon came asking me if I wanted to join. I did and he officiated in receiving me two weeks later. I never "applied" for membership. I wish this could happen for the rest of you.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

We've been discussing this IRL and the consensus seem to be that 6 months is about the normal time frame. Situations vary, of course, but it probably takes about that long to figure out what makes the congregation tick and whether you are ready to commit yourself to being part of it.

Other questions that aren't exactly parallel, but could be thought about in the same context:
1. How long should a couple date before becoming engaged, and how long should they be engaged before marriage?
2. How long should a new believer be discipled before baptism? (For those who link baptism with membership, this is part of the OP question)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: 2. How long should a new believer be discipled before baptism? (For those who link baptism with membership, this is part of the OP question)
You mean like they did something wrong and are being punished? Not sure I understand the question.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

steve-in-kville wrote:
ohio jones wrote: 2. How long should a new believer be discipled before baptism? (For those who link baptism with membership, this is part of the OP question)
You mean like they did something wrong and are being punished? Not sure I understand the question.
OJ said discipled, you are maybe thinking disciplined?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

steve-in-kville wrote:This question was most likely asked on the old forum, but thought it would make for good conversation. And my family is sorta in this situation currently.

So once you decide to attend a new congregation, how long should you visit until you ask for membership? Obviously various factors come into play such as: Its of the same conference as your former church; you moved to a new area; you attended there as a child, got married and moved away and now you're back; your former church imploded into a bajillion pieces and you're wary; the list goes on...

Discuss.
Ours has 6 months as a general rule. We were about a year from starting to attend regularly.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

silentreader wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
OJ said discipled, you are maybe thinking disciplined?
Dan Z wrote:Discipleship to me means truly becoming Christians ("Christ-ones"), growing in maturity toward lives that reflect the image and likeness of Jesus.
The question could be rephrased, how mature should a new believer be before baptism? But that doesn't really translate into a time span, since maturity is reached at different rates.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I wish I'd waited longer than 3 months before asking.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote:About 10 years ago I moved to a church in a distant state. Within a couple months the deacon came asking me if I wanted to join. I did and he officiated in receiving me two weeks later. I never "applied" for membership. I wish this could happen for the rest of you.
Your last name and cultural affinity may have assisted in this process.

When a convert asks first, he has stacked the deck against himself. From then he will be stuck asking questions about when a membership class can start, what requirements are, and so forth. He has no advocate who wants to see him through the process, but is instead much like someone at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles whose number keeps not getting called and has to keep going up and asking if he will ever get seen.

Evangelical Christians work differently than this. They feel comfortable giving out frequent altar calls and calls for baptism and repentance. Someone who attends regularly will be pressured to join a small group or a Bible study and will be asked what their testimony is, and if they don't have one, will be encouraged to say the sinner's prayer and get baptised.

We would do well with something between those two extremes. I do think a lot of ministers in CA churches are nervous about asking regular attenders or converts about membership and don't want to seem pushy. Or perhaps they've had bad experiences in the past with seed down on rocky soil.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:This question was most likely asked on the old forum, but thought it would make for good conversation. And my family is sorta in this situation currently.

Discuss.
I noticed your affiliation is Brethren now - they do things completely differently. If you are on Facebook, join the group "Becoming Conservative Anabaptist". There are lots of Brethren on there including converts who are now members in good standing.
0 x