If you had to interview leadership....

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: If you had to interview leadership....

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Who has title to the property, denomination, district or local church. If not the latter I would run.

J.M.
Why? Not sure I understand the question.
Easy. If you don't own the building, anytime the denomination wants you to do something you don't want to do, they have the leverage of their ownership of the building to use. I have seen congregations involuntary dissolved or merged. I have seen at least one congregation literally put out of their building. If you want to leave the denomination you may be forced to "buy" your building from the "owners" or wind up with no place to meet. This all too commonly happens in the C&MA (their it is called a "reversionary event" after the clause in most church bylaws) and Presbyterian geoupn, mostly PC-USA.

It always seems to be used against conservatives.
JM
Do you know if it is still the practice for Lancaster Conference (the conference itself) to own all of the buildings? I understand that was the case back in the 1960s.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:
Why? Not sure I understand the question.
Easy. If you don't own the building, anytime the denomination wants you to do something you don't want to do, they have the leverage of their ownership of the building to use. I have seen congregations involuntary dissolved or merged. I have seen at least one congregation literally put out of their building. If you want to leave the denomination you may be forced to "buy" your building from the "owners" or wind up with no place to meet. This all too commonly happens in the C&MA (their it is called a "reversionary event" after the clause in most church bylaws) and Presbyterian geoupn, mostly PC-USA.

It always seems to be used against conservatives.
JM
Do you know if it is still the practice for Lancaster Conference (the conference itself) to own all of the buildings? I understand that was the case back in the 1960s.
I am not and never have been a member of a Lancaster Conference church. Maybe someone who is can answer that.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Just wondering Steve, how did the lunch meeting with the pastor go ? Anything you care to share ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote:Just wondering Steve, how did the lunch meeting with the pastor go ? Anything you care to share ?
On a scale of one to ten, I would rate the meeting as a solid 8.5. Our family has been through the wringer when it comes to church relationships.... this was a breath of fresh air to me. There was no judging on anyone's part :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!