Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions? (church, weddings, etc.)

Total votes: 0

Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

Post by Wayne in Maine »

I wore a plain coat (stand-up collar) to a high level job interview once - it was not something one sees in Maine very often! I got the job and the manager who interviewed me told me later that she admired my confidence and convictions.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

Post by ken_sylvania »

Last time I attended a formal dinner (at a trade show) I wore my plain suit. I got teased quite a bit about being a priest or a cleric...
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Lately I've used a guayabera shirt for such occassions. If it's very formal, I might even put on long pants in the summer.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ken_sylvania wrote:Last time I attended a formal dinner (at a trade show) I wore my plain suit. I got teased quite a bit about being a priest or a cleric...
Or some may say they look Indian/ Chinese (mandarin collars) or like a part of a military get up.

I'm curious as to the history of plain coats, but I cannot find anything on them. Why do they look like they do? And why have plain people adopted something that is often only found in militaries?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
Hats Off wrote:While I would never wear shorts to church, (I wear a plan suit!) I would not find that as offensive as wearing ball caps. That to me is just downright improper.
Do you find the Pope's little cap offensive or is it just ball hats ? In other words, is there any kind of hat that you would see in church on a man that would be proper ?

When I first saw a young fellow wearing a ball cap in church I thought to myself, why hasn't someone explained this as disrespectful, as I was taught. But then I got to thinking that this generation doesn't have this same view on hats and they don't regard a church gathering to be a sacred place either. It is just a building to gather in. They may not have any sense of this being disrespectful. Thoughts ?
“Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered disgraces his head.”

I don't find it offensive but I do find it sad to see that the scriptures are either not taught, or are not taught to be obeyed.
I agree but to be consistent with obeying scripture -

"In every place of worship, I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from anger and controversy."
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
"In every place of worship, I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from anger and controversy."
I don't quite understand how this bunny trail keeps popping up so often. This reminds me very much of the Pharisee who stood on the street corner, praying to be seen.

Scripture also teaches to pray in our closet, in secret. Many other scriptures talk about kneeling or bowing in prayer;
Luke 22:41 "And He withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and He knelt down and began to pray," Philippians 2:9-11 "so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW"
So which one should we be obedient to? I found close to 30 references for kneeling and bowing in prayer but only three of those included stretching out or up the hands in prayer.

And could we please not have this supposed fun thread turn into one about what is proper for prayer. We could start a new thread for that topic if desired.
Last edited by Hats Off on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
Hats Off wrote:While I would never wear shorts to church, (I wear a plan suit!) I would not find that as offensive as wearing ball caps. That to me is just downright improper.
Do you find the Pope's little cap offensive or is it just ball hats ? In other words, is there any kind of hat that you would see in church on a man that would be proper ?

When I first saw a young fellow wearing a ball cap in church I thought to myself, why hasn't someone explained this as disrespectful, as I was taught. But then I got to thinking that this generation doesn't have this same view on hats and they don't regard a church gathering to be a sacred place either. It is just a building to gather in. They may not have any sense of this being disrespectful. Thoughts ?
I don't find the Pope's little hat offensive - what he does is of no concern of mine.

When is something disrespectful? How does something become respectable? We were taught to remove our hats when we enter a building and we still teach our children and grandchildren this way. When we attend the viewing of a deceased person or stand a graveside, watching someone being buried, men remove the head gear. If a man walked into our church wearing a ball cap I would respectfully ask him to please remove it.

So even without mentioning the scripture about a man being uncovered for worship, I object. Where is decency and respect today?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
I'm curious as to the history of plain coats, but I cannot find anything on them. Why do they look like they do? And why have plain people adopted something that is often only found in militaries?
If I understand it right.... all coats at one time were of the standing color design. When things got "fancy" and lapels were added, it was considered, well... fancy. And thus "wordly" or "fashionable."

Kinda like the black car thing. The model T Ford only came in black. Once other cars became available in other colors, it was considered too fashionable to have a car other than black. Again, as I understand it.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote:
I don't find it offensive but I do find it sad to see that the scriptures are either not taught, or are not taught to be obeyed.
Lets take it a different direction. Wasn't wearing a hat inside once considered impolite? We're going back some generations though...
0 x

steve-in-kville

Josh wrote:
When I was visiting Hillsong 2 years ago, I counted 3 men on stage in the worship band who all had knit caps on.
You mean like beanies? (or wollies, depending on how British you are!) Or do you mean like a Jew cap??
0 x