Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions? (church, weddings, etc.)

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off, it was my way of teasing for fun to bring up the hands lifted in prayer issue when I hear the need to literally obey some scriptures but not others. We don't really need to make another thread on this imo. Perhaps I should have put one of these in the post - :P

Regarding our upbringing about hat removal in certain settings as an act of respect, I see this gradually disappearing. I remember in my younger years that if one entered a Canadian Legion and didn't immediately remove their hat in respect of the Queen's picture, they were required to buy everyone in the room a drink. Often older fellows I golf with, remove their hat and shake your hand thanking you for the game after the final hole. Younger guys don't seem to follow this anymore. Perhaps it is just part of a general decline of showing respect for others.

Anyway, in my next coffee time with our teaching pastor I will get his perspective on what he believes on the hat issue and providing some teaching on this area. My guess is that since the veil is not expected of the ladies then the hat off is not an issue to pursue for the men. Dress really isn't much of a concern in our MB church and I guess that would make us of the 'liberal' grouping. I believe good deeds and love for one another are to be our two main identifiers as Christians.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Guys only: What type of suit/tie/whatever do you wear for formal occassions?

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote:
When I was visiting Hillsong 2 years ago, I counted 3 men on stage in the worship band who all had knit caps on.
You mean like beanies? (or wollies, depending on how British you are!) Or do you mean like a Jew cap??
Beanie type thing but one of them was crocheted
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

A pair of dress slacks and a button down, usually long sleeved shirt unless it is really warm I may wear a buttoned down short sleeved.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps if both men and women wore the same kind of hooded robe (white of course) when they met in church, it would be one less distraction in corporate worship. Go directly to change rooms on entering a church and put on your robe. Maybe some day a new group will begin this habit. I certainly would support it. Ladies would use the hoods for their covering if that is their belief.

Anyone know of a Christian church doing this ? Seems like a simple fix to me to take attention off outward apparel. I think it works well when I see church choirs dress in robes.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote:Perhaps if both men and women wore the same kind of hooded robe (white of course) when they met ... snip.....
Anyone know of a Christian church doing this ? Seems like a simple fix to me to take attention off outward apparel.
Only group I know of in recent history that did/does this would be the KKK...
0 x
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

I currently wear khaki pants for work, church, and most any "dressy" occasion. Ties I've worn about 3-4 times in my life, usually not by choice. I have a specific pair of shoes for Sunday services/funerals/weddings/etc. My lone button-down short-sleeve shirt serves for most dress-up events, barring a specific dress code. I wore the pictured tux tee two years ago at our church Christmas banquet as a protest against the prolific wearing of ties and such (which are technically frowned upon for most occasions).
Attachments
Star Wars tux tee.jpg
Star Wars tux tee.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 418 times
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Perhaps if both men and women wore the same kind of hooded robe (white of course) when they met ... snip.....
Anyone know of a Christian church doing this ? Seems like a simple fix to me to take attention off outward apparel.
John Michael Talbots group here in AR does something like this.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
John Michael Talbots group here in AR does something like this.
Thankyou. Never heard of them before but finding them quite interesting through Internet links. Something new for me to explore. :up:
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Thankyou. Never heard of them before but finding them quite interesting through Internet links. Something new for me to explore. :up:
Welcome. They're an interesting group. My family used to attend some of his functions/ events at the Little Portion.
Oh those awkward catholic ties. :lol:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Thankyou. Never heard of them before but finding them quite interesting through Internet links. Something new for me to explore. :up:
Welcome. They're an interesting group. My family used to attend some of his functions/ events at the Little Portion.
Oh those awkward catholic ties. :lol:

Thanks again. Loving his music on youtube. What a treat !
0 x