Transition to a more *liberal* church??

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Transition to a more *liberal* church??

Post by steve-in-kville »

Maybe one of the most odd questions that come up here on MD. I'd like to hear from those that switched to a church that possibly allowed more freedoms, or wasn't as conservative as where you were. As some know, our family has been between a rock and a hard place for nearly 2 years (long story). I came out of the Church of the Brethren about 25 years ago (before we were married) and we are strongly considering checking them out. We would obviously be the most conservative family in most of the local COB congregations.

Perhaps someone can offer a word of caution or two? Or even a success story? Why did you make the move?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Transition to a more *liberal* church??

Post by Hats Off »

We made a move before we had family - some things were hard to get used to. After we had family, I said it is not fair to the children to be more conservative than anyone else. For their sake we have to fit in. Today, I feel fellowship or brotherhood is more important than the exact standards of the church, although I say this with reservation. To me, some standards are still important.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Hats Off wrote:... some things were hard to get used to. After we had family, I said it is not fair to the children to be more conservative than anyone else. For their sake we have to fit in.
I see the wisdom in regards to the children... never really thought about that.

What was hard to get used to... if you don't mind me asking??
0 x

Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The only reason we changed was for the car and the freedom that brought with it. I was content with everything else so some of the customs or standards took time to get used to. One thing I was uncomfortable with - I was used to a system of voluntary contribution to fire aid plans - now I receive a "premium notice" that says failure to pay will result in loss of coverage. It felt like insurance instead of a brotherhood fire aid plan.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Wow... that's a bit harsh. So much for "brotherhood", eh?
0 x

Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

steve-in-kville wrote:I came out of the Church of the Brethren about 25 years ago (before we were married) and we are strongly considering checking them out. We would obviously be the most conservative family in most of the local COB congregations.
This is a caution, I guess. One of the churches that we checked out when our former church closed was the local COB church. The rainbow flag said it all. It is listed as part of the "Supportive Communities Network" for the Brethren-Mennonite Council for LGBT interests. (It has since closed) The old mainline groups have, in general gone quit liberal.

My daughters were raised in the C&MA, before our church closed. She was largely formed by her experience in the C&MA, and looks and thinks like the group she was raised in. Look at the church you are considering, and plot it's likely trajectory. Do you want that? I just wish the church had closed 15 years earlier, and we had been forced to make a decision than, rather than spending 15 good years trying to save it, and now seeing it's influence on my daughters.

Have you considered the Dunkard Brethren, as I understand they are in your neck of the woods.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Have you considered the Dunkard Brethren, as I understand they are in your neck of the woods.

J.M.
We were part of that group for many years! Only reason we are no longer is distance to travel.

I understand the cautions...
0 x

appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

steve-in-kville wrote:Wow... that's a bit harsh. So much for "brotherhood", eh?
If someone is interested in starting up a separate thread on this subject I would love to try and give my perspective as to why in fact in this case this has been done and why I do not see it as harsh at all.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Sorry for the distance between replies. I am having laptop/browser issues and cannot log into sites at times.

My wife and I had a series of conversations about this. If such a move is made, we will most certainly suffer some backlash, not only from our former congregation, but family and possible the school our children attend.

There are many pro's. And there are a handful of con's. We are putting the matter into the Lord's hands at the moment.
0 x

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appleman2006 wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Wow... that's a bit harsh. So much for "brotherhood", eh?
If someone is interested in starting up a separate thread on this subject I would love to try and give my perspective as to why in fact in this case this has been done and why I do not see it as harsh at all.
looking forward to reading it .. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN