Transition to a more *liberal* church??

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Transition to a more *liberal* church??

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:Do you see needing a Savior and being pagan as the same thing?
I remember asking our Orthodox friend who is a Priest if we are born pagans after I originally read that- he said no-
I think it may be a different understanding of what pagan means, yes we are all born inheriting the nature to sin and need a Savior, but they don't teach we are born pagans-
So, Valerie:

(1) Who is born pagan? Children of pagans?

(2) If children of pagans aren't born into sin, what are they born into?

(3) At what point does someone become pagan?
I am saying that the Orthodox DO NOT teach that we are born pagans- this from an Orthodox Priest:

Pagans are adherents to primitive religions. We are not born that way anymore than we are born Muslims or athiests, but without the knowledge of God we are inclined to be led by our lusts and the demons into one false way or another

We are born with the need to be "Born Again" by water & the Spirit (Baptism)-
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Re: Transition to a more *liberal* church??

Post by haithabu »

Valerie wrote:
haithabu wrote:
I would agree with much you have pointed out and stated Haitabu- EXCEPT- I don't believe we are 'born' pagans- is that a common belief in Anabaptism?

I believe that is a common belief in orthodox Christianity - that we are born unsaved and need a work of grace to bring us to Christ. Or maybe it's just me. :)
Do you see needing a Savior and being pagan as the same thing?
I remember asking our Orthodox friend who is a Priest if we are born pagans after I originally read that- he said no-
I think it may be a different understanding of what pagan means, yes we are all born inheriting the nature to sin and need a Savior, but they don't teach we are born pagans-
To me being a pagan simply means to be outside of God's saving grace, to be an unbeliever, to not know God. In that sense we are all pagans until we are born again. So yes, logically that means we are born pagans, and without God's intervention we would all remain pagans.
0 x