Re: Can you identify this photo?

Post by GaryK »

Germany
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:OJ, what kind of cows did you say they should have been?
Not to milk this too much, and don't kiel over in shock, but I will dane to repeat myself: Holsteins would have been a fitting breed for that photo. Now excuse me while I put a Hamburger on the grill.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Schleswig-Holstein, a few kilometres south of the Danish border and about 90 kilometres north of Hamburg. Kiel is the capital of Schleswig-Holstein, a German state and was under Danish control for a period.
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:Schleswig-Holstein, a few kilometres south of the Danish border and about 90 kilometres north of Hamburg. Kiel is the capital of Schleswig-Holstein, a German state and was under Danish control for a period.
These are photos from the Haithabu Viking Museum in Schleswig-Holstein. And yes, that's close to Denmark, a country Viking fans, Beowulf fans, and Shakespeare fans will recognize ;->

So Haithabu, does your username have anything to do with Vikings? Or cows? Or Germans? Or Danes?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:These are photos from the Haithabu Viking Museum in Schleswig-Holstein. And yes, that's close to Denmark, a country Viking fans, Beowulf fans, and Shakespeare fans will recognize ;->
Indeed. The Vikings are from Minnesota, which is close to Wisconsin, which makes lots of cheese, most of which comes from the milk of Holstein cows (90% of the dairy cattle in Wisconsin are Holsteins).

It's a small, small world.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:These are photos from the Haithabu Viking Museum in Schleswig-Holstein. And yes, that's close to Denmark, a country Viking fans, Beowulf fans, and Shakespeare fans will recognize ;->
Indeed. The Vikings are from Minnesota, which is close to Wisconsin, which makes lots of cheese, most of which comes from the milk of Holstein cows (90% of the dairy cattle in Wisconsin are Holsteins).

It's a small, small world.
And here I spent all my life thinking Vikings were from Scandinavia. You know, it was worth the entire MennoNet admission fee just to learn this. Thanks, OJ. :hug:
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Bootstrap wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Schleswig-Holstein, a few kilometres south of the Danish border and about 90 kilometres north of Hamburg. Kiel is the capital of Schleswig-Holstein, a German state and was under Danish control for a period.
These are photos from the Haithabu Viking Museum in Schleswig-Holstein. And yes, that's close to Denmark, a country Viking fans, Beowulf fans, and Shakespeare fans will recognize ;->

So Haithabu, does your username have anything to do with Vikings? Or cows? Or Germans? Or Danes?
Funny you should mention Beowulf. :) Way back in the late 90's I wanted to choose Beowulf for my hotmail account, but it was taken and so I was presented with the option of taking Beowulf37. Rather than that, I chose Haithabu, which no one else seemed to want. (Tip to doxxers: it has been my username on just about every forum I have frequented ever since. :))
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I gather Grendel was already taken?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

Bootstrap wrote:I gather Grendel was already taken?

I never thought to identify as a flesh eating monster. :) But your bringing up the subject has nudged me into getting J.R.R. Tolkien's translation and commentary for Kindle
0 x