8/21 Eclipse

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

8/21 Eclipse

Post by Once Again »

We were able to purchase some "eclipse glasses" online and are planning to make a science lesson of it. We live in an area that will have 90% coverage. My children are excited and I'm looking forward to it also. Anyone else going to take the day off and watch the eclipse?
0 x
Once Again

Re: 8/21 Eclipse

Post by Once Again »

Here are some interesting facts about eclipses.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/6-weird-thi ... n-eclipse/
While there are many superstitions about eclipses, there are also a lot of weird things that happen during an eclipse that are completely real -- and super cool. Here are six incredible things to look for during the eclipse on August 21.

1. Animals getting confused

"A totally eclipsed sun is 10,000 times fainter than one that is 99 percent covered by the moon," Meg Pickett, professor of physics at Lawrence University, told me. The change in light during an eclipse makes the temperature drop suddenly, which makes animals think that night is coming.

As the total eclipse begins, animals begin their evening songs and behavior, such as crickets chirping. As the eclipse ends, the animals think that morning is coming. If you're in the country, you'll be able to hear roosters crow.

tsis-eclipse-1
How eclipses happen.
NASA
2. Stars and planets in the middle of the day

During the eclipse, the sky will get so dark that stars will look just as bright as they would during the evening. If you live close to the total eclipse zone, you'll even be able to see planets like Jupiter and Venus easily.

3. Shadow bands

Right before a total eclipse, little snake-like shadows will appear to slither across the ground. According to NASA, scientists aren't completely sure why shadow bands happen. Many scientists believe that they are caused by light from the eclipse being focused and refocused through cells of air in the atmosphere.

Shadow bands are a rare sight during the eclipse, but you may be able to see them with the right equipment, timing and location. The most important part is the color of the ground. You can see the bands best on light colors. Some people lay a large white sheet on the ground. You may also spot them by looking at concrete, sand, snow or ice.

"In 2015, I saw the eclipse in Svalbard, just 800 miles from the North Pole," said Mark Bender, a longtime eclipse chaser who has followed eclipses from Norway to Australia, and the director of the documentary series "Eclipse Across America." "I was standing on a landscape covered with ice -- just like an enormous white sheet. And there they were! It's all about being at the right place at the right time."

4. Bailey's beads

Bailey's beads are pearls of sunlight shining through the valleys and mountains of the moon, explained Pickett. You'll see them around the edges of the moon as it passes over the sun.

"The beads may look reddish in color, exposing the upper atmosphere of the sun, the chromosphere, or 'Sphere of Color,'" said Pickett.

m16-023.jpg
Bailey's beads are pearls of sunlight around the eclipse.
NASA/Arne Danielson
5. Corona rainbows

Corona rainbows happens when the air is full of water molecules. "During the eclipse in 1999, I was watching in Cornwall, England," said Bender. "It was a completely overcast and rainy day. Leading up to the eclipse, you couldn't see the sun at all. Three minutes before totality, the sun started to peek though, and with one minute to go, clouds dissipated and the entire sky opened up. We lucked out, but the best was yet to come.

"Even though the rain had stopped, there was still so much water vapor in the air. When the sun eclipsed, the corona was full of tiny rainbows! Imagine seeing the stunning corona in full color! I have never seen that since, but anything is possible. You just don't know how it will play out."

m16-023.jpg
Rainbows around an eclipse are caused by light shining through water vapor.
NASA/Romeo Durscher
6. 360-degree sunset

During totality, or when the sun is completely covered by the moon, you can see what looks like a sunset -- in every direction -- around the horizon.

When he was 15 in July 1963, NASA researcher and Dickinson College Professor of physics and astronomy Robert Boyle witnessed his first solar eclipse in Bangor, Maine. "When totality arrived, I was amazed at how dark it got," Boyle said. "The silence that descended around us was as profound as it was unexpected. The birds stopped chirping. The air grew still. And all around the horizon where the clouds left a little gap of sky, there was a crimson band of light as if sunset was a 360-degree phenomenon."

The strange 360-sunset effect happens, Boyle says, because the sun is still shining outside the path of totality.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Not planning on much. In 2024 the path of totality is right over where I currently live 8-)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

We will be way out of the band to see much.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

We are in the path of totality. Because of clear air, historically clear August weather, thousands of domestic and international visitors and flooding in here. NASA is here, along with apparently quite a few other countries space agencies.
It's a mighty big deal for this small town.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Our campground is about 12 miles from the path of totality and it's already packed for the event: no vacancies this weekend. Fortunately no loud music or parties are permitted. Some of the campers tell me that campground reservations filled up almost a year in advance for this event. I've seen my share of total solar and lunar eclipses in my lifetime but it will be fun to watch the grandchildren enjoy it. Remember to take precautions to protect your eyes.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

my grdaughter has been talking about it, off+on. i have smiled.
last night, my daughter said she may have made a mistake in not getting viewing glasses.
grdaughter was sad.

i assured them, the pictures and tapes will be excellent, and not damaging to vision.
PLUS! - we will experience it, with darkness coming in daylight, without actually looking directly to the sun. i've experienced at least one in my life ..

actually, to me, seeing how it affects "the world" growing dark like that is more interesting than the actual sight. it's eery, the experience makes it easy to imagine how early folks may have been frightened by it.

i assured them, after the eclipse, they could have all the glasses they could want - for free! :lol:
they could add a tag, "these glasses viewed the 2017 solar eclipse." :P

i'm so much fun to have around. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

We're heading to Nebraska...camping in the south central, and hoping to get to the west central area (Near Arthur or Alliance) for good viewing. Quite excited. Our son and daughter in law from TX will be meeting us.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I know that people on this forum are more excited about the Son, then the sun-
Let's be praying that with all this focus on the heavenly hosts, that people would consider God- the Creator. I remember Denny Kenaston's testimony was that he had been atheist, but as he was examining the night sky, well- it was at that time the Lord opened His eyes- and he came to Christ starting then and there-

There was a time on earth that the land was dark (unnaturally) for 3 hours- during the Crucifixion of our Lord-
Mark 15:33
King James Bible
And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

I was reading that this was a fulfillment of Zec 14:6,7 and Amos 8:9

Amos 8:9

9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord GOD, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

That is interesting to me-the footnote for vs 8-10 of Amos 8 says:

"The day of Christ's crucifixion was indeed a day of mourning (v 10). The earth quaked (Matthew 27:50-53) and the sun was darkened at midday (Mk 15:33). In a more immediate sense this prophecy may also have been fulfilled on June 15, 763 BC when a total solar eclipse occurred in Palestine."

I thought that was pretty fascinating the date of that eclipse was recorded.

Anyways- this country could use a day to set their mind (and focus) on things 'above' and not on things of the earth.
Well for us that is supposed to be our way of life.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

We had 80% coverage. I just snapped this photo with my phone to see what would happen, and you can see the shape of the partially eclipsed sun in the weird artifact that showed up in the photo.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (759.55 KiB) Viewed 459 times
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3