8/21 Eclipse

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Re: 8/21 Eclipse

Post by appleman2006 »

We had about 70 percent coverage here. Probably the best one I have ever seen in my lifetime.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

About 93% here, really cool. I especially liked watching the shape of the sun mirrored in the shadows of the tree leaves and just walking around. I didn't have the glasses so I made a pinhole camera.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Got a nice view of it outside my office both through borrowed eclipse glasses and through a serendipitous cloud.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

100% here! Absolutely stupendous!
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

We had 90%... in 2024 we will have 100% 8-)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Went out to western Nebraska (Alliance) with the family to see the eclipse in totality. All but one of my children (& her husband) were there...including my son and his wife from TX. We showed up a few hours before the eclipse and parked along a rural road without a building in sight - appropriately surrounded by hillsides covered in wild sunflowers.

It was a more amazing an event then I could have even imagined!

As totality approached, shadows became strangely distorted as the crescent sun was projected through leaves and even the gaps between our fingers. Excitedly, we watched the darkness move rapidly toward us (at 1550 MPH) across the distant hills to the NW and envelope our area in a shadow-circle with a 35 mile radius. It immediately went from dim cold sunlight to looking like an hour after sunset - with the reddish sunset in all direction. The temp dropped probably 10 - 15 degrees (some put sweatshirts on), the mosquitoes came out and began to bite us, crickets sang, planets became visible, a chilly wind blew, people cheered - and the amazing sun was encircled by its glowing corona...which doubled the size of the sun like wispy paint-brush strokes. It was about as bright as a full moon. Then, after about 2 1/2 minutes of darkness, a flash of blue-white sunlight broke the brief night...and the world turned back to color. During the darkness our eyes had adjusted to the dark, so the faint sunlight after the totality seemed falsely brighter than it realy was - for example car headlights and taillights, which normally don't show up much in regular daylight, seemed about 10X too bright by contrast. We all just lingered in the slowly warming sunlight for another hour as the process reversed itself - invigorated.

What an amazing - strangely spiritual - experience the whole thing is - reminding me once again of how tiny we are as we stand in awe and reflect on the creative genius of the God of all creation.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I found out what really caused the eclipse.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

We attended this event. About 3000 plain people showed up. Groffdale Conference young men and others provided shuttle service via trailers with straw bales pulled by tractors.
http://www.createdheavens.com/ee2017.html
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Ernie wrote:We attended this event. About 3000 plain people showed up. Groffdale Conference young men and others provided shuttle service via trailers with straw bales pulled by tractors.
http://www.createdheavens.com/ee2017.html
Wow...what a cool event Ernie. The web site is quite impressive as well.

Were the skys clear?
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

Traveled to Tennessee to see it in the path of totality. Simply amazing, well worth it. The wonders of God's creation!
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God