Evangelizing to self-proclaimed "Gay Christians"?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Evangelizing to self-proclaimed "Gay Christians"?

Post by KingdomBuilder »

The title of this thread basically says it all.
I'm asking as a long time, dear friend of mine has had two somewhat recent developments of identity. First, she's identifying and practicing as a bisexual. Second, she's desiring to be a church-going Christian.
Surely this grieves me a lot, but what can I do? How can I be truth and light here?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
francis
Affiliation:

Re: Evangelizing to self-proclaimed "Gay Christians"?

Post by francis »

I think it's important to meet people where they are. They usually have little doubt as to the beliefs of more conservative mennonites, so it's not as if she doesn't know where you stand. But it's also good to remember that she's in a different place than you and realize that you might disagree with her on some things. I'm not saying to change your beliefs or not to be honest with her, but we all have things that keep us apart from God. Hers is just something more stigmatized.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The title of this thread basically says it all.
I'm asking as a long time, dear friend of mine has had two somewhat recent developments of identity. First, she's identifying and practicing as a bisexual. Second, she's desiring to be a church-going Christian.
Surely this grieves me a lot, but what can I do? How can I be truth and light here?
To me, it is certainly important to engage in conversations with her, and in a lot of prayer while doing so, asking the Lord to guide you in these conversations. Condemnation seems never the way- it could be she is 'confused'- probably gently asking some questions about when this started, this thinking she was 'bi'-

Recently I heard a song on Christian radio, that was sung by the original band- the night I responded to an altar call. This Christian band's music had lyrics that really spoke to many hearts including mine. I had heard that the writer of this song, had become gay-

I googled the song that was sung that night in 1973- and found a youtube of it- there were comments and this writer appeard in the comments- and said she was on facebook. I looked her up on facebook and these rumors were confirmed- she had become a lesbian, in a relationship- long ago- not only that but she is part of the GCN "Gay Christian Network-where they are 'activists' for Gay Christians (I SHOULD say- Gay people who think they are Christians- I don't think you can be actively engaged in homosexuality and be a Christian at the same time)- it was so grievous to me- but because these activists groups exist, there will be validation to many who are being led astray by the voices of the enemy, to believe that they can be 'gay' (actively) and a Christian at the same time- this is growing.

The Word of God says satan is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44). He is lying to God's people.

May I suggest a book, and a website- Christopher Yuan- we went to one of his families seminars to help us with being engaged in this area- Christopher came out of the gay lifestyle, when he gave his heart to Christ and is an 'activist' to proclaim his own testimony, his journey out of homosexuality, and to help people that want to 'help people' that are caught up in this sin-it's an excellent book and his family's seminar's have been extremely helpful- they ALL came to Christ through their son's announcement of being gay, it started their own journey to faith and salvation:

Since this is his calling- you may find some helpful information here-

http://www.christopheryuan.com/mobile/index.html

The book his mother & him wrote together about their journey to God- and his repentance and calling to help others-
https://www.christianbook.com/country-j ... gL22fD_BwE
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I think one could build off the desire "to be a church going Christian." One could speak about being a Christian means Jesus is Lord and Savior. Lord means submitting one's whole life to Jesus. Only after that basic core is agreed to may it be possible to talk about God's view on sexual morality.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

francis wrote:I think it's important to meet people where they are. They usually have little doubt as to the beliefs of more conservative mennonites, so it's not as if she doesn't know where you stand. But it's also good to remember that she's in a different place than you and realize that you might disagree with her on some things. I'm not saying to change your beliefs or not to be honest with her, but we all have things that keep us apart from God. Hers is just something more stigmatized.
I think this is very wise.

Build on common ground, let your love be genuine, trust God with the outcome. I have several gay family members who I am praying for. It's tough. Beating them over the head certainly doesn't work. Logical wrestling matches don't either.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

JimFoxvog wrote:I think one could build off the desire "to be a church going Christian." One could speak about being a Christian means Jesus is Lord and Savior. Lord means submitting one's whole life to Jesus. Only after that basic core is agreed to may it be possible to talk about God's view on sexual morality.

:up:
I've dealt with this situation before. Remain a strong Christian who listens with kindness. At the same time, don't be intimidated about sharing your own joy in your faith and the fruits of Godly discipleship. Kindness doesn't mean you should give up who you are as a disciple. You are offering her a chance to learn how to join the road to eternal life. The Holy Spirit will do the rest regarding the conversion of her heart.

It may take only a few weeks or months; it may even take years; OR she may not take it at all and refuse the promptings of the Holy Spirit. For your part, I recommend that you pray for her and be who you are as a disciple of Jesus who strives to live his life according to God's Will. If she refuses to listen to the Holy Spirit, that won't be a black mark against your name: only she is responsible. It will be her decision.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

One thing I keep urging her to do is to simply read the Bible.
Homosexuality can stand in the presence of loop-hole, easy-going, watered-down Christianity, but it cannot stand by one who truly reads the Word and yields to the Spirit who inspired it.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Substitute the word "gay" with:

Murdering
Fornicating
Divorced & remarried
Stealing
Lying
(I could go on...)

But what do you have? Its all sin in the eye's of God. Each sin is as bad as the next. Yes, homosexuality is an extra-gross sin... but how would we approach people who commit some of the sins above? I don't have the answers, but think about it!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

steve-in-kville wrote:Substitute the word "gay" with:

Murdering
Fornicating
Divorced & remarried
Stealing
Lying
(I could go on...)

But what do you have? Its all sin in the eye's of God. Each sin is as bad as the next. Yes, homosexuality is an extra-gross sin... but how would we approach people who commit some of the sins above? I don't have the answers, but think about it!

I'd have to disagree. Homosexuality isn't something that people can help (actions are different, but I doubt KingdomBuilder knows every detail of this girl's life.) If you try to share God with someone by trying to change them off the bat, the evangelism isn't going to work, at least not for very long. She needs mercy and kindness. I understand what you mean by all sins being bad--but she's not hurting other people the same way as would happen if she were murdering them. The language re: homosexual sin in the Bible is that of a sin against God rather than a sin against man, and as such any intervention would be markedly different. If she accepts Jesus, her actions ought to follow suit. Jesus blessed everyone. Yes, he said "go and sin no more", but he didn't refuse to bless them. We all deal with sins, I urge anyone on this thread to examine themselves and realize that just because one particular issue is more politicized, it doesn't make someone any less human or any less worthy of mercy and love.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

steve-in-kville wrote:Substitute the word "gay" with:

Murdering
Fornicating
-snip-
Stealing
Lying
(I could go on...)

I do think it's a bit different in that there has developed an intense identity/ culture around homosexuals. Not arguing it's worse, but I do think it needs to be approached somewhat differently.
0 x