Poll: Changing Churches / Belief Systems

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Choose all that describe or nearly describe your journey...

1. I am in the same church (or fellowship/conference) that I grew up in.
15%
2. I am not in the same church (or fellowship/conference) that I grew up in, but in a church that is very similar.
4%
3. I am in the same faith tradition that I grew up in, but I am now part of a different constituency within that faith tradition. (much similarity between the two)
4%
4. I am in the same faith tradition that I grew up in, but I am now part of a different constituency within that faith tradition. (some similarity between the two)
19%
5. I am in the same faith tradition that I grew up in, but I am now part of a different constituency within that faith tradition. (very little similarity between the two)
4%
6. I've transitioned through one constituency (within the same faith tradition) to arrive where I am at presently.
15%
7. I've transitioned through more than one constituency (within the same faith tradition) to arrive where I am at presently.
8%
8. I'm now part of a different Christian faith tradition than the one in which I grew up.
19%
9. I've transitioned through one faith tradition (within Christianity) to arrive where I am at presently.
No votes
10. I've transitioned through more than one faith tradition (within Christianity) to arrive where I am at presently.
4%
11. I am a first-generation Christian.
4%
12. I've been atheist or agnostic for at least a year of my life.
4%
13. I've been part of a religion other than Christianity for at least a year of my life. (not including atheism and agnosticism)
No votes
14. I am currently not a Christian
No votes
15. I left the church/constituency/faith tradition that I grew up in for a time, but I am now back in the one where I grew up.
No votes

Total votes: 26

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Changing Churches / Belief Systems

Post by Ernie »

A thread about transitioning from one church to another or one belief system to another.

Please be kind and respectful!

Definitions:

church (a local congregation, or conference. not the universal church)
constituency (a group of churches that work together)
faith tradition (examples: Anabaptist, Pentecostal, Reformed, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Tibetan Buddhist)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Poll: Changing Churches / Belief Systems

Post by Neto »

Not sure where I fit here, if at all.

I am a member of a congregation that has a quite different history, but I am, for the most part, unchanged in my own beliefs - they are still predominantly identical to my own background. (There are no congregations of my "faith tradition" within hundreds of miles of where we live.)

Another factor is that the group of my origin is, and always has been, open to fellowship with believers of other origins or traditions. It is a central part of their beginning and group identity. So it is not out of place for me to now be a fellowshipping member of a different Christian group.

Then there is also the factor that even if we lived in an area where a congregation of my origin existed, I might no longer feel at home there, because it has changed. I also have been changed by my having fellowshipped with the group in which I am now a member. My group of origin was, at least originally, also open to that interaffectedness - that as we meet and fellowship with other believers, we are 'sharpened' and transformed by this "body-ness" of the body of Christ.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Neto wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 pm Not sure where I fit here, if at all.

I am a member of a congregation that has a quite different history, but I am, for the most part, unchanged in my own beliefs - they are still predominantly identical to my own background. (There are no congregations of my "faith tradition" within hundreds of miles of where we live.)
Its ok not to know where we fit. :-)

When you say, "my faith tradition, is that Mennonite Brethren?

I am aware that this poll is very technical. I consider Mennonite Brethren, Amish, Beachy-Amish, and Old Order Mennonite, etc. to be constituencies within the Anabaptist faith tradition.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:17 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 pm Not sure where I fit here, if at all.

Its ok not to know where we fit. :-)

When you say, "my faith tradition, is that Mennonite Brethren?

I am aware that this poll is very technical. I consider Mennonite Brethren, Amish, Beachy-Amish, and Old Order Mennonite, etc. to be constituencies within the Anabaptist faith tradition.
Yes, Mennonite Brethren. I didn't intend to imply that it might not be considered 'anabaptist', although that term was not used in the early Dutch era. (I sometimes use an English translation of the term actually used - "baptism-minded", but it's a bit cumbersome, since no one else here uses it.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.