They call it a NEV -- a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: They call it a NEV -- a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:18 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:36 pm I kind of don't see the point.
That little car is not allowed on the golf course. 8-)
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:36 pm Unfortunately for whatever reason (economics? regulation? we don't seem to be getting such vehicles here in the US).
Right. And so we use golf carts to fill this gap.

The alternative in most cities, is not slow and unavailable public transportation, but instead a 3,000 pound gas car to haul typically one person 1 mile to a store or work. Most people aren’t going to walk or pedal a bike, they will drive their gas car.
I know some who do that but not because they are lazy. It is because of the high levels of muggings against pedestrians.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am
RZehr wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:18 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:36 pm I kind of don't see the point.
That little car is not allowed on the golf course. 8-)
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:36 pm Unfortunately for whatever reason (economics? regulation? we don't seem to be getting such vehicles here in the US).
Right. And so we use golf carts to fill this gap.

The alternative in most cities, is not slow and unavailable public transportation, but instead a 3,000 pound gas car to haul typically one person 1 mile to a store or work. Most people aren’t going to walk or pedal a bike, they will drive their gas car.
I know some who do that but not because they are lazy. It is because of the high levels of muggings against pedestrians.
A Polish man was riding a bicycle with his son in Sweden and got shot to death. His young son had to call the police.

Many people will choose to drive cars instead for safety if they have to fear being shot or stabbed if they try to bike or walk.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:50 pm A Polish man was riding a bicycle with his son in Sweden and got shot to death. His young son had to call the police.

Many people will choose to drive cars instead for safety if they have to fear being shot or stabbed if they try to bike or walk.
https://images.app.goo.gl/LHbnpv3tTDhoogp6A
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:34 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:50 pm A Polish man was riding a bicycle with his son in Sweden and got shot to death. His young son had to call the police.

The number of people who die in cars in this country is about 500x* higher than the number of people who die on bikes.

*yes, I just made up that number but it is a whole lot higher and I'm too lazy to look it up.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:21 pm

The number of people who die in cars in this country is about 500x* higher than the number of people who die on bikes.

*yes, I just made up that number but it is a whole lot higher and I'm too lazy to look it up.
Ya, cars.
But my link is to golf cart tanks, not cars.
How many have been shot, or otherwise died in tanks?
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:21 pm

Bikes are a lot more dangerous to ride, per mile, than cars, speaking as someone who used to exclusively ride a bicycle. I rode it to college unless it was bad snow or pouring down rain, and then when I lived in Wisconsin I biked to work and grocery shopping, Walmart, and wherever else I needed to go.

I continued to do so in NYC/NJ until my naive brothers left my bicycle outside for 5 minutes in the mostly Hispanic neighbourhood I lived in. That was the point at which I simply got sick of bike locks, bike theft, cars nearly running me over and sideswiping me. I rented a parking spot in midtown, signed up for an EZPass commuter plan, and cut my commute from over an hour to 40 minutes, and never looked back. Even in Manhattan, cars are simply more convenient, safer, and faster than public transportation or bicycles.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

:lol: :laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Tanks for posting that.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JohnS
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by JohnS »

Let me start by saying I was researching online about things NEV. I came across RZehr's post about NEV's. I have owned an NEV (golf cart) since 2010. I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon and come Summer I usually drive my NEV to Micky D’s for breakfast. I have an Oregon plate and I’m legal on city streets posted 35 mph or less. Top end speed is around 25 mph with a tail wind. I found some of the comments interesting because of the lack of knowledge that one has regarding the subject that is being discussed.

Back in 2010 when the economy slowed down Congress passed a bill to stimulate the economy and electric vehicles were part of the plan. The NEV was one such form of transportation that was included in the EV legislation with tax credits if you purchased one.

Upon acquiring mine I initially Titled it at the DMV in a neighboring town and a few months later I tried to license it so I could drive it on the road. That’s when it got interesting. I went down to the local DMV and got laughed out the office. “You Can License A Golf Cart!!” I had my Title and documentation from the Fed DOT that it was legal so I went home and came back in the afternoon and with said documentation I tried again. It was interesting that it was the Supervisor of the DMV office that was running his mouth telling me I couldn’t license my NEV and then doing an about face saying something to the effect if I wanted to “go that way” but it still wasn’t legal on city streets and I needed to go and check with the police department if it was legal. So, I went to the local police department and presented my Title and asked again if it was legal to license and drive on city streets and if it wasn’t to please provide documentation why it wasn’t legal. A police officer came out from behind a closed doors and presented me with the very same documentation I had from DOT telling it wasn’t legal. So instead of arguing with the officer I went back to the DMV where I had Titled it and ask to license it. The clerk worked through the process and said he would submit the proper request to the state and two weeks later I got my license tags and I laugh at all the gas guzzlers driving to town everyday.

In regard to the lead article about the dealership selling NEV's after having mine for almost 14 years, it will be a tough sell. People aren’t familiar with the idea to drive an NEV around city streets. I get asked all the time is it legal. In my mind I’d like to say, “do you see that Oregon plate on the back,” but I take the time to explain the ins and outs of driving an NEV. As a side note retirement communities in my area have a lot of golf carts to move about their retirement communities if only they knew they could license them and expand their range of travel. There are some additional requirements needed to be licensed as an NEV.

Someone asked about what kind of battery came with the NEV. In my case it was a Trojan, which was/is top of the line. They lasted about seven years. That was when reality kind of set in and replacement batteries didn’t come cheap at replacement time. For the most part I could drive around doing errands most of the day and come home and plug it in and charge over night and go at again the next day.

For safety features it has blinkers or turn signals, horn, seat belts, head lights, brakes and brake lights, safety glass, rear view mirrors and small red safety reflectors on the sides and back. For Rural America this is an ideal method of transportation within the city limits. So in closing with gas prices going up an NEV is looking better every day.
2 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Is this your only vehicle? What is the population of the town you live in? Albany?
0 x