Never have I ever.... Part 2

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Check all the things you have NEVER done.

Sent or received a fax.
No votes
Had a MySpace account.
37%
Had an AOL email address.
40%
Accessed the internet by dial-up.
No votes
Sent a postcard.
3%
Used a paper map to get somewhere.
3%
Owned a dictionary.
3%
Owned an encyclopedia.
11%
Paid for something with a paper check.
No votes
Used a phone book.
3%

Total votes: 35

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Never have I ever.... Part 2

Post by steve-in-kville »

Continuance of this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6750&sid=e06f035b26 ... 7746966cfd

Check all that apply.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Re: Never have I ever.... Part 2

First email account I had was Juno. I remember it taking a few tries to connect.
0 x

Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Our first use of email was through the mission center office account. We would take a diskette up to the office with a text file on it. The secretary would copy it into their computer and send it. Messages were automatically sent & received via an international telephone call twice a day, at noon and at midnight. They went to the mission's offices near Waxhaw, NC (called JAARS), where they were put out onto the internet.

While we were on furlough we had an email through the mission, where we would dial an 800 number to send & receive, then were billed on our mission account according to the time duration of the call. I think it was still that way for awhile when we first moved back here to the States (2003), or else we soon got dial-up. I don't remember for sure.

I had heard of 'packet messages' sent via HAM radio well before email came out, but we never used it.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville

Neto wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:39 am
I had heard of 'packet messages' sent via HAM radio well before email came out, but we never used it.
That mode is still very much viable in the Ham radio world. I went to church with some folks in the mid-90's that had what we in the amateur radio community call the "big guns" and they were able to send packet data to various mission outposts throughout the world.

Text and data communication existed long before computers and cell phones!
2 x

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I could actually vote on this one... no Myspace account, no AOL account. I think. My first email address was @juno.com. I did have a Xanga account.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Our first email was Juno dial up and could be a bear to get it to connect sometimes.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

My parents still rely on dial-up, paper maps, and paper checks. Their encyclopedias are more useful for holding the shelf down than for looking things up, since they date from the 1950s.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville

QuietlyListening wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm Our first email was Juno dial up and could be a bear to get it to connect sometimes.
There was a period of time during the "lean years" that I relied on the local library for my email and internet needs. I eventually bought a laptop so at least then I just connected to the library Wi-Fi instead of using their own computers.

Sometime later, we had smartphones that I could use as a hotspot, and that carried us for a few years before we had to get *real* internet at home due to one of our daughters doing cyber school. That was a huge game changer, both for the good and not so good.

I miss the late 90's and early 2000's. I may have checked my email once a day, twice if I was expecting something. If I wanted to expand my knowledge on a hobby or interest, I bought a book on the subject, or borrowed from the library.

I'm embarking on a small ham radio project that I started four years ago when the pandemic kicked off and never finished due to life getting crazy around that time. I have all that I need in parts and supplies, and I chose to re-read the books I had on the subject instead of watching a dozen YouTube vids. Old school.
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:41 pm I could actually vote on this one... no Myspace account, no AOL account. I think. My first email address was @juno.com. I did have a Xanga account.
An easy way to figure out what kind of Mennonite a person is (presuming they’re in their 40s) is to ask them if they had a Xanga account.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: another one I can’t vote in. I guess hubby could mark a couple of these. I can still remember all the funny noises that dial-up made, and at least get the first 5 to 10 seconds of them through my mind. dad had the AOL parental control account (pretty sure he picked up the CD from the store or something) and I was too unmotivated to figure out a way around it. Snuck a myspace account at the public library/saloon and got in trouble about that one. he ended up letting me keep it if I let him look at it on a regular basis but I’m sure I was still a little sneaky, unfortunately.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat