Mennonite Flash Mob

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Re: Mennonite Flash Mob

Post by Sunbeam »

Bootstrap wrote:
Sunbeam wrote:Perhaps if I heard the thought process that led them to choose that song, I would see their point and agree with them! Perhaps not! If they are as closely tied here as you say, let them present their thinking as they wish, and tell me where they think I am wrong or off-base.
It would certainly be more interesting if they were part of the conversation.
Sunbeam wrote:We can have a debate about the pros and cons without feeling injured, and slinking off. We are reasonably resilient.
I think we're having a similar debate about criticizing people who are not present, whose thoughts we don't know. I hope we can have that debate without feeling injured. And yes, we are reasonably resilient.
To reiterate my "add" to my last post:
I feel nothing but benevolence towards anyone taking part in this conversation.
We disagree a bit, I guess, on this matter. Thank you for sharing how you think about it.
0 x
hillperson
Affiliation: A.M.

Post by hillperson »

Bootstrap wrote:I think the choir did something good. And maybe the people in this particular place already know the English hymns, so they were exposing them to something new. A store where plain people shop is probably not the same thing as the town square of a secular city.

I also worry that sometimes it's really hard to do something good if we're afraid that people will think we should have done something else. Fault finding makes it a lot harder to do good, appreciating makes it easier. And I think it's important to be able to live out our faith without always worrying too much what other people might think. Of course, we do need to live with the counsel of the brethren, but that's different. I assume they did discern this. And if anyone has useful feedback for them, it's probably more useful if that feedback is directed to them directly.
Goods is owned by plain people but people from all walks of life shop there for the record.

I enjoy choral music especially since I've had children who've sung in choirs. Some of my favourite pieces are from Africa but I do appreciate interpretation :)

I think when given the oppprtunity to share one song in a public place, it would be good to share one that has a clear gospel message and save the art part for a choral program where you also will have songs that speak of Jesus in a language that the audience can understand.
0 x
hillperson
Affiliation: A.M.

Post by hillperson »

And for those people from Oasis who read this forum I enjoy and have been blessed with your music. I love to listen to your songs on Spotify.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

hillperson wrote:I think when given the oppprtunity to share one song in a public place, it would be good to share one that has a clear gospel message and save the art part for a choral program where you also will have songs that speak of Jesus in a language that the audience can understand.
One wonders why this same principle doesn't apply to the music one listens to when one is by one's self.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Do you see no difference between a person who knows Christ and has Him living in his/her heart listening to an amoral song, versus having the opportunity to share Christ with people who may not know Him at all, and out of a whole repertoire of songs that would do that, choosing one in another language, Josh?

I see a difference there myself.
I enjoyed that song very much. I have nothing whatsoever against the song or them singing it.
I just think as does hillperson that while there was nothing inherently wrong with singing that song, it was a lost opportunity.

I am going to step away from this conversation now to keep from causing further offense. If you wish to say where I am missing it or have been out of line in any regard, please feel free to do that. You are welcome to PM me if you would like a response.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

appleman2006 wrote:
Hats Off wrote:A group of us old people were together at one of Appleman's uncles' home recently; someone wanted to sing out of the book "Radio Favourites" and I guess just to balance things out, we also sang from the "Church and Sunday School Hymnal." Well, I had this rather mischievous thought "hey this group is going to sing a German hymn as well." Before i got that far, one of the women announced "song number 11 at the very back of the book." When I thanked her for the selection, she said the very thing that I had thought. Well you should have heard us sing "Wo ist Jesus mein Verlangen". We certainly made a joyful noise even though not every one present completely understood what we were singing.
Interesting. You do make me curious as to which uncle that might have been.
Clarence.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

As a non-Russian/German background Anabaptist, I am curious about the reason(s) for Christians presenting a culture and language different from the culture and english language we live in. Sounds to me like some form of patriotism which is usually frowned upon when others bring some American patriotism into their Christianity.

And regarding this happening in a local church, I was in a church one time where they selected a hymn not in english and since I couldn't participate my thoughts went to what the scripture says about speaking in an unknown tongue without an interpreter. In 1 Cor 14 we are told that everything is to be done to build up the church. It seems to me to say, speak only in the standard language of the culture and does not support the idea of speaking or worshipping aloud in other languages.

I attend an Anabaptist church of many colours from various ethnic backgrounds. To sing a hymn in German would just not happen. And, so far, we haven't had to deal with unknown tongues requiring interpreting. Personally I would find a church not using english throughout worship as not very inviting to an outsider like myself.

Any thoughts on this ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I find the idea that when spontaneously singing in public, it must be in English, rather offensive.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:I find the idea that when spontaneously singing in public, it must be in English, rather offensive.
Do you feel the same when you are in a group of people and some begin talking to a sub group in another language ? Some people consider this as rude. They feel for some reason(s) they are being shut out of the conversation.

In what way does this offend you ? I want to understand this better.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Hats Off wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:
Hats Off wrote:A group of us old people were together at one of Appleman's uncles' home recently; someone wanted to sing out of the book "Radio Favourites" and I guess just to balance things out, we also sang from the "Church and Sunday School Hymnal." Well, I had this rather mischievous thought "hey this group is going to sing a German hymn as well." Before i got that far, one of the women announced "song number 11 at the very back of the book." When I thanked her for the selection, she said the very thing that I had thought. Well you should have heard us sing "Wo ist Jesus mein Verlangen". We certainly made a joyful noise even though not every one present completely understood what we were singing.
Interesting. You do make me curious as to which uncle that might have been.
Clarence.
Ah yes. A favourite uncle of mine. :)
0 x