Mennonite Flash Mob

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Mennonite Flash Mob

Post by MaxPC »

I wonder where we can buy their "Eternal Mercies" album?

They did a great job of O Happy Day too.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

MaxPC wrote:I wonder where we can buy their "Eternal Mercies" album?

They did a great job of O Happy Day too.
http://www.oasischorale.com once it is released. They just recorded several days ago.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It's also available on Apple Music, either individual tracks/albums for sale or with a subscription.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

O Happy Day - one of my favourites. It is amazing to me how we have such a spread of genres of music within Christianity and some day we will be around the throne of God singing together. I wonder just what that will sound like. Whatever it will be, it will be the greatest of all.

I love the 'black and white' presentation by this Mennonite group and I also love the more 'colourful' version of this group linked below. This song always reminds me of the musical 'Sister Act'.

Here is one a little closer to my upbringing :D -

Well, maybe not quite that colourful.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Sudsy wrote:O Happy Day - one of my favourites. It is amazing to me how we have such a spread of genres of music within Christianity and some day we will be around the throne of God singing together. I wonder just what that will sound like. Whatever it will be, it will be the greatest of all.

I love the 'black and white' presentation by this Mennonite group and I also love the more 'colourful' version of this group linked below. This song always reminds me of the musical 'Sister Act'.

Here is one a little closer to my upbringing :D -

Well, maybe not quite that colourful.
Is that choir from South Africa, then? I must say they are colorful and lively. And one would hope they have better morals than Whoopi Goldberg.

Yes, I wonder what singing in Heaven will be like, too. One wonders if cultures are represented in the music, perhaps indicated by this verse:
[Rev 21:24 NASB] The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Sudsy wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed the harmony and some of you likely enjoyed the words also. I don't understand this singing not being in English unless it is mainly about the harmony. One thing I appreciate in A cappella singing is that the words are not drowned out by instruments.

Curious - what would be the purpose of singing in a language that most unchurched do not understand ? To me it is like speaking in a unknown tongue without an interpreter.

This was exactly my husband's question. If people cannot understand the words and you are not at a venue where interpreting what you are singing is an option, what is your motivation for singing?

He gave voice to the exact question I had when I listened to it earlier.

It is beautiful harmony, without question!

It just seems, if the goal here was inspirational in nature choosing a song in the native language of the listeners would have been important, but perhaps that was not the goal.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I am guessing the motive here was to simply put some joy in people's hearts on a Monday morning as they shopped. I know it certainly would of done that for me. And it was one last time that this group had to sing together until they meet again in another year.
It was a final hurrah for them and I think this was one of their favorites. With the sola starting parts it actually worked well for a flash mob.
I think some of you are thinking this one through a little bit too hard. :) Sometimes it is alright to make music just because.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

appleman2006 wrote:I am guessing the motive here was to simply put some joy in people's hearts on a Monday morning as they shopped. I know it certainly would of done that for me. And it was one last time that this group had to sing together until they meet again in another year.
It was a final hurrah for them and I think this was one of their favorites. With the sola starting parts it actually worked well for a flash mob.
I think some of you are thinking this one through a little bit too hard. :) Sometimes it is alright to make music just because.
The song definitely is catchy and lilting. My daughter has been going about singing it for days to prove it.
They could have sung "Grandfather's Clock" or "Driving Nellie Home", and that would have been okay! I am not suggesting that every song has to be spiritually inspiring to be an okay song! I heard too that this was one of their favorite songs to sing, and maybe they just wanted to sing it one more time and liked having people listen!!

I am not at all suggesting that their intentions were evil...I have no way of knowing what their thought processes were at all, but they could not have chosen that song with the intention of being a spiritual inspiration to the audience, that is all I am saying.

Well, maybe I am saying more than that. It does seem to me that, with the attention a flash mob gets, especially when you consider the on-line reach, that this was perhaps a bit of a lost opportunity to share at least a piece of the gospel message.

Not saying it was wrong. Not saying it was a sin. Not saying it wasn't a happy tune. Not saying they shouldn't have enjoyed singing it a bunch...
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Maybe it was to prompt people in the audience to ASK them what they were singing, thereby leading to the possibility of sharing their faith? If they sang an obvious spiritual song, a lot of people would possibly just keep going- I'm just saying maybe they were hoping for questions-
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Sunbeam wrote:The song definitely is catchy and lilting. My daughter has been going about singing it for days to prove it.
They could have sung "Grandfather's Clock" or "Driving Nellie Home", and that would have been okay! I am not suggesting that every song has to be spiritually inspiring to be an okay song! I heard too that this was one of their favorite songs to sing, and maybe they just wanted to sing it one more time and liked having people listen!!

I am not at all suggesting that their intentions were evil...I have no way of knowing what their thought processes were at all, but they could not have chosen that song with the intention of being a spiritual inspiration to the audience, that is all I am saying.

Well, maybe I am saying more than that. It does seem to me that, with the attention a flash mob gets, especially when you consider the on-line reach, that this was perhaps a bit of a lost opportunity to share at least a piece of the gospel message.

Not saying it was wrong. Not saying it was a sin. Not saying it wasn't a happy tune. Not saying they shouldn't have enjoyed singing it a bunch...
i'm amazed.
this is not the sunbeam i thot i knew
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme