Post by Josh »

joshuabgood wrote:I like them a lot.
Very good.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Mennonite Flash Mob

Post by Sudsy »

Thanks, I enjoyed the harmony and some of you likely enjoyed the words also. I don't understand this singing not being in English unless it is mainly about the harmony. One thing I appreciate in A cappella singing is that the words are not drowned out by instruments.

Curious - what would be the purpose of singing in a language that most unchurched do not understand ? To me it is like speaking in a unknown tongue without an interpreter.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed the harmony and some of you likely enjoyed the words also. I don't understand this singing not being in English unless it is mainly about the harmony. One thing I appreciate in A cappella singing is that the words are not drowned out by instruments.

Curious - what would be the purpose of singing in a language that most unchurched do not understand ? To me it is like speaking in a unknown tongue without an interpreter.
This event as more of a cultural nature than of an evangelistic nature. At evangelistic public, "flash mob" style singing, the groups I have been with have always tried to sing in the native dialect.

For something more of a cultural nature, singing songs from other cultures, or singing songs from traditions when one's ancestors spoke another language, is very appropriate.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed the harmony and some of you likely enjoyed the words also. I don't understand this singing not being in English unless it is mainly about the harmony. One thing I appreciate in A cappella singing is that the words are not drowned out by instruments.

This event as more of a cultural nature than of an evangelistic nature. At evangelistic public, "flash mob" style singing, the groups I have been with have always tried to sing in the native dialect.

For something more of a cultural nature, singing songs from other cultures, or singing songs from traditions when one's ancestors spoke another language, is very appropriate.
Thanks Josh. In that sense I understand although it could be a pride area and will draw applause. Now I'm sounding more like the Amish. :roll: :lol:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Sudsy had you been at one of the programs you would of been given a translation of the song in the programs handed out.

I would be the first to admit that this particular song will not affect everyone the same way. Oasis likes to do a variety of music for various reasons. One of their mandates is to challenge both the singer and the listener to step out a bit out of what might be their comfort zone and learn more difficult pieces. I accept that not everyone will appreciate the need for that and that is alright. For someone with a more artistic bent however I think it is well understood and appreciated.

I know that the very first time I heard that song it hit a special chord for me even though I had no idea what the words were but I understand if that is not everyone's experience.

If I would of been in the store I would also have had them do "Angel band". .
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

appleman2006 wrote:Sudsy had you been at one of the programs you would of been given a translation of the song in the programs handed out.

I would be the first to admit that this particular song will not affect everyone the same way. Oasis likes to do a variety of music for various reasons. One of their mandates is to challenge both the singer and the listener to step out a bit out of what might be their comfort zone and learn more difficult pieces. I accept that not everyone will appreciate the need for that and that is alright. For someone with a more artistic bent however I think it is well understood and appreciated.

I know that the very first time I heard that song it hit a special chord for me even though I had no idea what the words were but I understand if that is not everyone's experience.

If I would of been in the store I would also have had them do "Angel band". .
When it comes to music, you and I are about as far apart as we are geographically! ;)

I don't care for classical music. It seems to focus on the singer rather than on Christ. I recognize that some people actually like this kind of singing and call it artistic. As far as beautiful music goes, I'd personally have to go elsewhere. And I recognize that you probably wouldn't like my music either. :roll:
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

lesterb wrote:I don't care for classical music. It seems to focus on the singer rather than on Christ. I recognize that some people actually like this kind of singing and call it artistic. As far as beautiful music goes, I'd personally have to go elsewhere. And I recognize that you probably wouldn't like my music either. :roll:
Once you have participated in classical choral music either by singing or by experiencing in a very good venue, it is hard to think of any other kind of music being quite as wonderful and profound. I say that even though I enjoy quartet singing, bluegrass/folk, and many other kinds of music. And for sure, I don't know how you can say that classical music particularly focuses on the singer rather than on Christ. I think there is always a temptation to focus on the artist or musician rather than on Christ, and this has little to nothing to do with the genre of music.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Actually Lester I am not sure what type of music you enjoy since you did not specify but if it is well done I am guessing I would enjoy it. And I am even willing to give some leeway in the well done part.

As to where the focus is placed I agree with Mike that that can be a problem in any situation including many that have nothing to do with music.

Please do not take this personally Lester but let me put it to you this way. Would you knowingly do less than your best work while writing a book because you are afraid that if you do not slip a few grammatical errors in now and then people might think the focus will be on the author rather than Christ. The same could be said for the farmer that is exceptionally good at his craft or the furniture maker that does a really good job making that perfect cabinet.

Anyone of these people could become proud, could they not? Pride is wrong. I am not arguing that. I just think it is insulting to the artists among us to automatically assume that they are proud or are doing it for selfish reasons. We do not automatically assume that about making other things that we do and I fail to see the difference.

Perhaps it is because in this case nothing physically is being created and maybe in the culture you and I come from we put less value on that. I am not sure. But if what I am saying makes no sense to you I am still open to being enlightened.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God