17%
4) More disappointed than pleased
67%

Total votes: 12

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Generally speaking

Post by Sudsy »

This is a thread to take a poll and share views on how you think Jesus might regard our topics and how we discuss them on this forum.

Thread Rules :

1. No questioning of another's input.
2. No referencing to another's input.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Generally speaking

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm
Thread Rules :

1. No questioning of another's input.
2. No referencing to another's input.
What's the fun in that? 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I chose option # 4.

I think that there are some responses to topics that Jesus is pleased with as imo, they reflect a Jesus type of response. What I have more trouble with is the topics that come up that highlight negative things going on in the world and it seems to me, these often lead to arguments. I don't think Jesus approves of these arguments and the way we sometimes treat one another in our differences.

I hope my future involvements will contribute more to option # 3. This battle with the flesh I think I will always have to some degree but if I'm growing spiritually I will have more wins than loses.

I keep thinking of what an unbeliever might be thinking when they read my posts and if this is drawing them to follow Christ or chasing them away. Sadly, I think some of mine have been a poor testimony of the life I believe Jesus offers me.
3 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm gonna be the odd man out and draw this conclusion: MN tends to be a representation of our churches as a whole (meaning us that identify as Anabaptist, across the spectrum).

I've witnessed the same attitudes/viciousness in a church setting, be it stuff said behind a person's back, half-truths, comments made in a public settings, etc. The difference here, we all tend to become keyboard ninjas and hide behind a user name.

I don't think Christ approves of that behavior either. I could go on, but I'm only two cups in at this point 8-)
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I know of at least one local family who found Mennonet, it lead to doubts and they stopped attending church services. Maybe the timing was just on and Mennonet played less into then I think?
I find it more of a place to gain other peoples perspectives and exercising my own thoughts in relating to others points of view. I think it has helped me relate to seekers at least in ways sorting through the different ways that people look at scripture - if the overarching perspectives on Mennonet were Anabaptist it wouldn't serve this purpose because I can find that at my local congregation and I wouldn't be here. So saying that I don't think Mennonet is a witness of the church or how it functions or thinks and doesn't really serve a good purpose for the local church or even seekers - so this doesn't seem like it would please Christ much. But of course without face to face interaction coupled with submission and accountability you are never truly going to have a proper witness of what the church and it's beliefs, values, and way of life are.
There are times I am sure that Mennonet has really done wonderful for many people but I just don't think it does that overall.
2 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:16 am I'm gonna be the odd man out and draw this conclusion: MN tends to be a representation of our churches as a whole (meaning us that identify as Anabaptist, across the spectrum).

I've witnessed the same attitudes/viciousness in a church setting, be it stuff said behind a person's back, half-truths, comments made in a public settings, etc. The difference here, we all tend to become keyboard ninjas and hide behind a user name.

I don't think Christ approves of that behavior either. I could go on, but I'm only two cups in at this point 8-)
I have seen it in all churches and organisations through the decades. It is part and parcel of man’s fallen nature to forget how to walk with Jesus. Gossip, back-biting, sarcasm, manipulation, outright lies, etc are the symptoms of a disordered discipleship. It takes genuine humility and a strong love of the Lord to walk the road with Jesus and avoid some of the most subtle sins of the tongue. No one is without fault, including myself. Repentance and a resolve to avoid repeating those sins is crucial. One way in which I try to do this (with the help of the Holy Spirit) is to endeavor to leave people in a better condition than the one in which I found them.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:16 am I'm gonna be the odd man out and draw this conclusion: MN tends to be a representation of our churches as a whole (meaning us that identify as Anabaptist, across the spectrum).

I see a lot of truth here. I might add there are many good things as well that please Jesus. I have learned a lot and have been challenged to a better walk many times over. I am a more thoughtful believer because of Mennonet, some times because of things I emulate and sometimes because of things I flee.
2 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

barnhart wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:33 am I am a more thoughtful believer because of Mennonet,…
Yes. Same here.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Observing the participation here, it seems these thread rules would be improved as follows -

1. Only questioning others input for clarity
2. Only referencing others input if in agreement

Looks so far that most agree we have room on this forum to improve our participation here to something more pleasing to Jesus.

So, according to revised rules :) , I am in agreement with the positive things in this thread and also what this forum, at times, provides.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

This thread brings John 21 to mind.

He asks Peter, as us, to feed his sheep. Sometimes the feeding is quite lean. Other times it is quite abundant.

This forum, as other forums, takes a certain personality to stick with it. It is not for everyone. The constant banter is annoying at times. This happens because some strong personalities seem to find forums and online communication sites a easy tool to verbose. My brain processes things better when I type. Even better than if I write. Some of what I post are my processings of topics.

Some days I am just edgy and take things wrong, thus my signature line of trying not to be offended.

Many conversations here would bend to the better if we would assume the best from each other.

I know Jesus dealt with disciples who bantered. Just look at the conversation about who would be sit next to him. I think He would be quite understanding, but also challenge us to speak the truth IN LOVE as Paul so nicely says it.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.