Testimony of a Former Amish

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Testimony of a Former Amish

Post by Sudsy »

Thanks Valerie for that testimony. Loved it !

I know of similar testimonies from folks who were raised to believe in God and follow Christ and were quite active in what they thought was a saving faith and yet they had never been born of the Spirit/ born again. In the more evangelical churches I am familiar with I know folks who were raised either United, Anglican, Catholic, Mennonite, Baptist, etc, etc that followed some pattern of Christianity and had a head knowledge of what Paul called the beliefs of first importance in the Gospel that saves us (1 Cor 15) and yet never experienced having the Holy Spirit live within them. When they do experience the Holy Spirit at work in them, they often have certain resentments to the church they grew up in that, in their opinion, did not preach a radical changing experience and personal relationship with God. The doctrine of grace often was in their previous church beliefs but they had not received the Holy Spirit into their lives to know they were saved.

It is not just the more 'liberal' church groups that are so excited about their new found faith but also some from the most 'conservative' churches. One can be a hyper-Calvinist or a strictest Mennonite and yet not know what the experience is to have the Holy Spirit within. And this goes for Pentecostals and other charismatics also who come from a background, where for them, it was emotionalism.

The Kingdom of God people live in a realm, as scripture says, of love, joy and right living in the Holy Spirit. Romans 14:17. Some focus on right living and yet lack in love and/or joy. A child of God is meant to live an abundant life but only in the Spirit. That is why we are commanded to keep on being filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs making melody in our hearts to the Lord. Ephesians 5:18-19. Imo, in all the areas of obedience, this is one of the areas that I think is a 'weightier' matter. One not often talked about in areas of obedience and yet crucial to walking in the Spirit. How I need the ongoing filling of the Spirit working in me today.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit