Keys to Peace of Mind ?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Keys to Peace of Mind ?

Post by Sudsy »

Text - Philippians 4:4-9
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthythink about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
This thread is to share your thoughts on this text or any part of it.

Thread Rules :

1. No questioning of another's input.
2. No referencing to another's input.

I highlighted a number of things in this text that you may want to expound on or chose other parts not highlighted.

I especially am interested in thoughts about how this is a key to having peace of mind.

Can we try this thread with no interference from others and just share our thoughts about this text.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Re: Keys to Peace of Mind ?

Post by Sudsy »

Rejoice in the Lord always - I believe this is a practised decision that results in joy. And it can be had even in times of suffering. i.e. Paul and Silas in prison.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Forgiving people who will never be sorry.

Accepting an apology is I will never hear.

Not caring what other people think or say of me is a form of freedom all of its own.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I think Philippians 4 as quoted is as much possible to us as we follow Christ in Philippians 2:
Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Death to self - letting go of our own ways and accepting God as hard as they may seem, to our own mind, is key to peace of mind.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Stay off Internet forums.
3 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Let your gentleness be evident to all.
In this article I especially thought this question is a good way to test our gentleness. Not what I think I am but rather what others think -
Would your friends and family say that you are gentle?
And since the scripture says our gentleness is to be evident to all this even goes beyond friends and family. On a scale of 1 to 10, just how gentle are my posts on this forum. Mine certainly needs some work and gentleness is also one of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit.
1 x
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

Great thread, Sudsy!

Jesus is the Key.

Philippians is a letter written from prison, and yet it's full of love, joy and peace, because of Paul's relationship with Jesus.

In John 14, Jesus says He gives His peace as a gift for those who believe (trust) in Him.

John 14:1,27,28 “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me.... I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am.

John chapters 14, 15, 16, and 17 describe this plan in rich detail.

This gift is received through a personal, trusting relationship with God, because of Jesus, who makes it possible by His death and resurrection, and through the Holy Spirit living in us.

Let's rejoice in Jesus, think about Him, and share the good news of Him this weekend!
3 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Do not be anxious about anything
See example in the 'Biden proclaims ---' thread regarding being anxious.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
1 Timothy 2:1-4: “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
Criticizing those in authority ? No. We are urged to take a different appproach. Another key to experiencing the peace of God in our hearts.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

So if I rejoice in the Lord always; my gentleness is always obvious; never anxious about anything; take everything to God in prayer, then I will experience a peace that goes beyond what I could ever imagine having.

This says to me that without the power of the Holy Spirit working in my life (as my old nature is unable to act like this) and my willingness to turn everything over to the Lord, I will have no idea on just how great a peace I can experience as a believer.

And I see my greatest enemy is listening to the world and it's concerns.

Brings this verse to mind - Isaiah 26:3 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
0 x