recommendations for cars/suv

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: recommendations for cars/suv

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Interestingly enough, between "bridge news" the local radio had an economist from the local university. Question: Which vehicles hold their value?

Winner-Any pickup truck. Always a market for these.
Loser-Any electric vehicle. Prices have just crashed.
0 x
:hug:
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 pm...
There is a secondary market here in NYC for older Prius whose batteries are no longer in peak condition. Mechanics have figured out how to keep them driving anyway with little power from the battery pack. The other mechanical components are sound so you can buy them cheap and get a second life out of them on the gas drive.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:09 pm When it comes to something decent for a low price, I think something like a Chevy Cruze works well. My son is an auto body tech and collects random parts and parts cars for a certain model year range, and has restored a number of wrecked Cruzes often with mostly parts he has on hand. Parts are reasonable and readily available. There is a lot to be said for looking at a short list of best selling cars and going with something on that list. The less common the model, generally the more expensive it will be to work on.
Wife: Our mechanic back in Oregon had a Chevy repair kit, and it was a hammer. You should ask your son if there’s any truth behind that.

Speaking of which, if you want to know what kind of truck you should buy, go to a Mennonite school and ask the boys. The first thing every Mennonite boy learns at school is which brand of truck is the best, and it can get pretty intense hearing the debates.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

PeterG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:16 pmThis guy offers a lot of sound advice on his YouTube channel.
he doesn't shut up.
just get to the point
i couldn't watch him.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

it's interesting to me, that very few people have recommended domestic vehicles.
i've been hearing a lot of subaru forester, a lot of toyota, a lot of honda.

i think that in this thread, neto and ohio jones were the only ones w anything good to say about domestic cars. i liked my malibu, i mean, at 19 years, it still gets 29 mpg. and would seriously consider another one, except that i think that a small suv would work better for me. i haul a lot of tupperware to vendor events, and it seems to me that i need to factor that into my decision.

the good thing is, my car is currently running, and so i have time to search for the perfect vehicle.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Judas Maccabeus

barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 pm...
There is a secondary market here in NYC for older Prius whose batteries are no longer in peak condition. Mechanics have figured out how to keep them driving anyway with little power from the battery pack. The other mechanical components are sound so you can buy them cheap and get a second life out of them on the gas drive.
That is because you never go faster than 40 in NYC..........
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

justme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:07 pm it's interesting to me, that very few people have recommended domestic vehicles.
i've been hearing a lot of subaru forester, a lot of toyota, a lot of honda.

i think that in this thread, neto and ohio jones were the only ones w anything good to say about domestic cars. i liked my malibu, i mean, at 19 years, it still gets 29 mpg. and would seriously consider another one, except that i think that a small suv would work better for me. i haul a lot of tupperware to vendor events, and it seems to me that i need to factor that into my decision.

the good thing is, my car is currently running, and so i have time to search for the perfect vehicle.
You MIGHT take a look at an Outlander. 4WD, some have a 4 cylinder. Wife LOVED it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

justme wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 pm
PeterG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:16 pmThis guy offers a lot of sound advice on his YouTube channel.
he doesn't shut up.
just get to the point
i couldn't watch him.
:laugh that struck me funny. Now I’ll need to check the video out.
Here’s what the comments on the first one said that he said:
2012-2017 Toyota Camry, 1999-2005 Buick LeSabre, Toyota Prius, 2005-2014 Ford Mustang, 2000-2005 Cadillac Seville (if you can fix it yourself), 1997-2003 BMW E-3

I only buy Fords. But I doubt they are as dependable and economical as Toyota or Honda or Kia or other Asian imports.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:09 pm When it comes to something decent for a low price, I think something like a Chevy Cruze works well. My son is an auto body tech and collects random parts and parts cars for a certain model year range, and has restored a number of wrecked Cruzes often with mostly parts he has on hand. Parts are reasonable and readily available. There is a lot to be said for looking at a short list of best selling cars and going with something on that list. The less common the model, generally the more expensive it will be to work on.
I have a Cruze, and there are potential oil and coolant and PCV issues. I've been able to take care of most of them as they arise, but they could get expen$ive for someone without mechanical aptitude. I understand most of those have been taken care of on the Malibu (especially the 2.0).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

justme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 pm so what's your recommendation for a good used vehicle?
either a 4 door car
or an suv, small to mid size

and why do you recommend that one?
I might turn the question around and start from the other end. First find the person/ shop who will be doing the maintenance and repair and find out which vehicles they most commonly work on.
0 x