recommendations for cars/suv

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
justme
Affiliation: hermit

recommendations for cars/suv

Post by justme »

so what's your recommendation for a good used vehicle?
either a 4 door car
or an suv, small to mid size

and why do you recommend that one?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: recommendations for cars/suv

Post by MaxPC »

justme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 pm so what's your recommendation for a good used vehicle?
either a 4 door car
or an suv, small to mid size

and why do you recommend that one?
We always bought used vehicles. For cars I usually liked the Toyota or Subaru makes. I would drive them 20 years or more. When I would look for a used vehicle I would check for damage first and have my favorite mechanic check the mechanical bits. I would also prefer a one owner vehicle. One Toyota Corona I bought with ~52,000 miles on the odometer and had 545,000 miles on it when I sold it. It had a manual transmission and was possibly the most sturdy car I have ever owned.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I bought a 2009 Honda Civic with around 250k miles on it for $1,500 last year. It's proved to be reliable and dependable.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. This one seems to provide good incomes for mechanics:

“Topping the list of highest annual repair costs in the luxury car market is the Porsche Macan at $1,265. This compact SUV goes to the shop 1.3 times per year — more than three times the average vehicle and more than double that of others in the segment. It is likely to have a significant repair 20% of the time.”

But if 4 doors are a non-negotiable, and you still want to support the auto repair shops, maybe the Volvo XC60.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/25-luxur ... 02779.html#
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

My current car is a 2005 Malibu. 248,8++ miles on it. I bought it as a 3 year old. It has done well. Very little problems other than normal maintenance. But its time to move on. It had left me sit 4 times in the past 4 to 6 month. And i am no longer as willing to drive an unreliable car as i would have been at one time.

My goal had originally been to make it to 2025 and beyond, that way i could say I'm driving a classic car.
1 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

VWs have typically had high maintenance costs, not everyone has the tools to work on them. I have had like four, did 200K+ on a Jetta Diesel. Subarus I would be a bit cautious about, that opposed engine can be a bit hard to work on, and if you ever have a valve cover gasket leak, engine comes out of the car. Had a Volvo, never again.

Typically people tend to recommend Hondas, Toyotas or Nissans. I have had a few Mitsubishis. Has really good luck with an Outlander, 4 cyl. 4 wheel drive. When I had to buy a car on behalf of a teacher, we got her a Honda Accord. She is very happy with it.
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

In all likelihood, I'll never buy another domestic vehicle again. Last summer, for the first time in almost 15 years, we became owners of a second vehicle. We bought a Hyundai Elantra and we are very happy with it. Paid more than I wanted to but it was lower milage and in decent shape. I would not hesitate to buy another.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife We had a 2000 Toyota Camry and recently had to sell it because of family size back in 2021, and it got decent mileage and worked well and got a ton of miles on it, and all the mechanics said it was a great car because they’re easy and cheap to fix. they also said that they regularly make it to 300,000 or more.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

justme wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:41 pm My current car is a 2005 Malibu. 248,8++ miles on it. I bought it as a 3 year old. It has done well. Very little problems other than normal maintenance. But its time to move on. It had left me sit 4 times in the past 4 to 6 month. And i am no longer as willing to drive an unreliable car as i would have been at one time.

My goal had originally been to make it to 2025 and beyond, that way i could say I'm driving a classic car.
My friend's Ford F-350 (2022 or 2023, can't remember which) has also let him sit 4 times in the past 4 to 6 months. Unfortunately, "new" doesn't mean "reliable" anymore.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 am Wife We had a 2000 Toyota Camry and recently had to sell it because of family size back in 2021, and it got decent mileage and worked well and got a ton of miles on it, and all the mechanics said it was a great car because they’re easy and cheap to fix. they also said that they regularly make it to 300,000 or more.
Toyota Camry, Honda Accords, both rock solid cars. I grew up in family that only ran GM vehicles. Still believe in them as our old battle wagon is a Chevy and is pushing 230k miles. Body is shot, but still passes inspection.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!