Agreement

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Agreement

Post by temporal1 »

“Holier than thou” won’t work for everyone. :)

General question:
What is the Christ-like response when one realizes their presence causes division in any given group?

It’s a question i’ve had for years.
Originally, i was puzzled that homosexuals, i.e., the organized political bloc, did this (and continue, on a global scale) .. no concern about what damage is done, the goal is to prevail, even to the point of destruction.

i’ve never been able to reconcile this.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:15 pm
I'm all for seeking truth but I think it can be done without defaming another's character. And I think that is something we all have to work on, some more than others. And that is an opinion that could be fact or not.
Sudsy, I agree with you and in the Bible I find support for your perspective. With the exception of Jesus, my experiences tell me that everyone that has walked the earth has been wrong a number of times in their lives. Everyone has had at least one disagreement with another. Yet Jesus tells us how to deal with these moments to extend grace and restore calm. Does He tell us to confront the other in public? No, quite the opposite.

In Matthew 18 Jesus tells His disciples to go to someone in private when there is error or disagreement. Private conversations protect the dignity of the parties directly involved as well as protects them from disruptive 3rd parties who seek to keep the agitation and discord going because of their own agendas.

No where does Jesus endorse name-calling or attempts at public slander. When that happens, Jesus tells us to shake the dust from our feet and to walk away from angry people, which resonates with Proverbs 22:24
Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm No where does Jesus endorse name-calling or attempts at public slander. When that happens, Jesus tells us to shake the dust from our feet and to walk away from angry people, which resonates with Proverbs 22:24
I disagree. Jesus publicly called people "broods of vipers". At one point, he called a political leader a "fox" (which was an insulting term to mean someone is dishonest or conniving).
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Agreement
An EO, Pentacostal, and Catholic were welcomed into an Anabaptist cafe.
After some deliberation, the visitors found, while they don’t agree on everything, they do agree Jesus wants the Anabaptists to leave.
1 x

UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm
I'm all for seeking truth but I think it can be done without defaming another's character. And I think that is something we all have to work on, some more than others. And that is an opinion that could be fact or not.
Sudsy, I agree with you and in the Bible I find support for your perspective. With the exception of Jesus, my experiences tell me that everyone that has walked the earth has been wrong a number of times in their lives. Everyone has had at least one disagreement with another. Yet Jesus tells us how to deal with these moments to extend grace and restore calm. Does He tell us to confront the other in public? No, quite the opposite.

In Matthew 18 Jesus tells His disciples to go to someone in private when there is error or disagreement. Private conversations protect the dignity of the parties directly involved as well as protects them from disruptive 3rd parties who seek to keep the agitation and discord going because of their own agendas.

No where does Jesus endorse name-calling or attempts at public slander. When that happens, Jesus tells us to shake the dust from our feet and to walk away from angry people, which resonates with Proverbs 22:24
Jesus didn't go anywhere private to call out the Pharisees for their error.

And I would highly advise you to stop calling people "angry" just because they call you out for inconsistencies or because they point out the wrongdoing of the RCC.
2 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:07 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm No where does Jesus endorse name-calling or attempts at public slander. When that happens, Jesus tells us to shake the dust from our feet and to walk away from angry people, which resonates with Proverbs 22:24
I disagree. Jesus publicly called people "broods of vipers". At one point, he called a political leader a "fox" (which was an insulting term to mean someone is dishonest or conniving).
Jesus also said that whoever is without sin can cast the first stone. Jesus was the only one without sin so He could. If we can do what Jesus did, then where are the miracles ?
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 pm Jesus also said that whoever is without sin can cast the first stone. Jesus was the only one without sin so He could. If we can do what Jesus did, then where are the miracles ?
I haven't picked up stones to throw at anybody, and I don't think anyone else has, either.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:44 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 pm Jesus also said that whoever is without sin can cast the first stone. Jesus was the only one without sin so He could. If we can do what Jesus did, then where are the miracles ?
I haven't picked up stones to throw at anybody, and I don't think anyone else has, either.
I'm sure all here do not have that same view. Imo, there is much stone throwing that goes on here and I am guilty as anyone. What the scripture calls being spiritually immature. This forum is not a fine example of spiritually mature believers. The fruit of the Spirit is very lacking and the acts of the flesh too obvious. But until we all face up to it, humble ourselves and seek daily to be filled with the Spirit, it will likely continue. I know I have no excuses.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

.. This forum is not a fine example of spiritually mature believers ..
strongly disagree.
these outnumber others, but aren’t the noisiest.

it’s what you look for.

being it’s so bad here, why not shake the dust, as is often suggested?
if not, it might be well to question what is so magnetic/irresistable?

as my daughter’s kindergarten teacher once advised,
“it’s easy to tell what the children are interested in - when there’s no interest, they disappear.”

i have learned, true for adults, too.
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm

Jesus didn't go anywhere private to call out the Pharisees for their error.

And I would highly advise you to stop calling people "angry" just because they call you out for inconsistencies or because they point out the wrongdoing of the RCC.
Ken S, Jesus' dealings with the religious leadership leading their own people astray called for a different tact than the interpersonal one-on-one relationships.

Regarding angry people, I am discussing Scripture with Sudsy. You can advise all you like but the discussion is between Sudsy and I in that post. He is not calling me out nor is he pointing out wrong-doing by any church. We are speaking into the Scriptural teachings on interpersonal behaviors between disciples. I have no idea where you are getting these accusations. Feel free to reread Sudsy's post and my response.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God