Agreement

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Agreement

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 pmKen S, Jesus' dealings with the religious leadership leading their own people astray called for a different tact than the interpersonal one-on-one relationships.
Jesus' dealings with the religious people of his day were also one on one. We can presume he had relationships with them, too.
Regarding angry people, I am discussing Scripture with Sudsy. You can advise all you like but the discussion is between Sudsy and I in that post. He is not calling me out nor is he pointing out wrong-doing by any church. We are speaking into the Scriptural teachings on interpersonal behaviors between disciples. I have no idea where you are getting these accusations. Feel free to reread Sudsy's post and my response.
If you'd like to have a one-on-one conversation with Sudsy without interference from other forum members, might I suggest the PM feature, or just picking up the phone and making a call?
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

So we can't even agree on agreement.

Again, when we do agree, we just say nothing and let that go. When we disagree, we comment and state our disagreement.

Forums and online sites are full of disagreements. It is human nature. We all do it. I do it as much as the next person. I do try to click the heart on posts I agree on. This shows agreement and no need to say anything more. I am sure I could pick on something said in that post, but if I overall agree, I feel no need to nit pick one issue, most the time. At times I fall into nitpicking too.
4 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm So we can't even agree on agreement.

Again, when we do agree, we just say nothing and let that go. When we disagree, we comment and state our disagreement.

Forums and online sites are full of disagreements. It is human nature. We all do it. I do it as much as the next person. I do try to click the heart on posts I agree on. This shows agreement and no need to say anything more. I am sure I could pick on something said in that post, but if I overall agree, I feel no need to nit pick one issue, most the time. At times I fall into nitpicking too.
Amen and indeed, Robert. Nitpicking certainly explains some of the issues humans face.

I too click the heart. When there is a concept leading to an edifying exploration of the Scripture not only do I share agreement with the heart but I also share the Scripture that supports my agreement with the person with whom I agree (that sounds bit obtuse or circular but I am too tired to try to untie that verbal tangle. I plead your patience.)

It is always gratifying to be able to flesh out life experiences with Scriptural understanding. Proverbs is a particularly rich source for me: I have found repeatedly that all of today’s human characteristics existed millennia ago and were addressed in Scripture, quite frequently in Proverbs. It is a treasure chest of wisdom.

That kind of sharing between those who find agreement both edifies and sharpens each other as iron sharpens iron (Prov 27:17). I have found those types of agreeable discussions quite helpful in strengthening my own faith and studies.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 pm Regarding angry people, I am discussing Scripture with Sudsy. You can advise all you like but the discussion is between Sudsy and I in that post. He is not calling me out nor is he pointing out wrong-doing by any church. We are speaking into the Scriptural teachings on interpersonal behaviors between disciples. I have no idea where you are getting these accusations. Feel free to reread Sudsy's post and my response.
Uh-huh. 8-)
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 pm Regarding angry people, I am discussing Scripture with Sudsy. You can advise all you like but the discussion is between Sudsy and I in that post. He is not calling me out nor is he pointing out wrong-doing by any church. We are speaking into the Scriptural teachings on interpersonal behaviors between disciples. I have no idea where you are getting these accusations. Feel free to reread Sudsy's post and my response.
Uh-huh. 8-)
You puzzle me, KenS. In the Commonwealth when we address a person by name, that is a sign that the following words are addressed to that person. Does that have a different modal connotation in the USA? Feel free to reread my post with that in mind.
Last edited by MaxPC on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:27 pm
.. This forum is not a fine example of spiritually mature believers ..
strongly disagree.
these outnumber others, but aren’t the noisiest.

it’s what you look for.

being it’s so bad here, why not shake the dust, as is often suggested?
if not, it might be well to question what is so magnetic/irresistable?

as my daughter’s kindergarten teacher once advised,
“it’s easy to tell what the children are interested in - when there’s no interest, they disappear.”

i have learned, true for adults, too.
When I first came here, there were lively discussions and "reasoning together" It didn't seem as nasty and antagonistic as it's become. Satan loves to divide the Church as it speaks a witness all its own when quarreling becomes common.

I miss the Mennonite women that used to often post, they were never critical.and they inspired me-
A few men with gentle spirits have passed away or no longer here.

The Bible discourages "useless wranglings" so it would behoove us to know when it becomes "useless" wranglings.

I really enjoy Sudsy's determination, tenacity, and ability to turn the other cheek. He has shaken the dust off in breaks away which seems wise. I noticed same as Robert, an "Agreement" thread even turns argumentative.
Looking forward to more posts where people can, including me, not come across harsh.

Build each other up in the Lord, and Be Ye Kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as Christ, for God's sake has forgiven you. (Ephesians 4:32)
3 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm When I first came here, there were lively discussions and "reasoning together" It didn't seem as nasty and antagonistic as it's become. Satan loves to divide the Church as it speaks a witness all its own when quarreling becomes common.

I miss the Mennonite women that used to often post, they were never critical.and they inspired me-
A few men with gentle spirits have passed away or no longer here.

The Bible discourages "useless wranglings" so it would behoove us to know when it becomes "useless" wranglings.

I really enjoy Sudsy's determination, tenacity, and ability to turn the other cheek. He has shaken the dust off in breaks away which seems wise. I noticed same as Robert, an "Agreement" thread even turns argumentative.
Looking forward to more posts where people can, including me, not come across harsh.

Build each other up in the Lord, and Be Ye Kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as Christ, for God's sake has forgiven you. (Ephesians 4:32)
i’ve never asked or suggested anyone leave, i didn’t intend to make this a first. that’s not my job, nor do i want it.
i miss things from MD, too. people and practices. the women, the younger age mix was a positive, too.

i hope some busy ones will return as their children get older. hopenafuture comes to mind.
she used to post when her young boys went to bed. loved that.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm
Uh-huh. 8-)
You puzzle me, KenS. In the Commonwealth when we address a person by name, that is a sign that the following words are addressed to that person. Does that have a different modal connotation in the USA? Feel free to reread my post with that in mind.
Many people in the USA are aware that a conversation on an internet forum is a public conversation.
Last edited by ken_sylvania on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:45 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:48 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:55 pm

Sudsy, I agree with you and in the Bible I find support for your perspective. With the exception of Jesus, my experiences tell me that everyone that has walked the earth has been wrong a number of times in their lives. Everyone has had at least one disagreement with another. Yet Jesus tells us how to deal with these moments to extend grace and restore calm. Does He tell us to confront the other in public? No, quite the opposite.

In Matthew 18 Jesus tells His disciples to go to someone in private when there is error or disagreement.
Private conversations protect the dignity of the parties directly involved as well as protects them from disruptive 3rd parties who seek to keep the agitation and discord going because of their own agendas.

No where does Jesus endorse name-calling or attempts at public slander. When that happens, Jesus tells us to shake the dust from our feet and to walk away from angry people, which resonates with Proverbs 22:24
Jesus didn't go anywhere private to call out the Pharisees for their error.

And I would highly advise you to stop calling people "angry" just because they call you out for inconsistencies or because they point out the wrongdoing of the RCC.
Ken S, Jesus' dealings with the religious leadership leading their own people astray called for a different tact than the interpersonal one-on-one relationships.

Regarding angry people, I am discussing Scripture with Sudsy. You can advise all you like but the discussion is between Sudsy and I in that post. He is not calling me out nor is he pointing out wrong-doing by any church. We are speaking into the Scriptural teachings on interpersonal behaviors between disciples. I have no idea where you are getting these accusations. Feel free to reread Sudsy's post and my response.
So you're not confronting ken_sylvania, you don't think he's in error, and there is no disagreement? That's good to know. There for a minute it looked like there might be.
:hug:
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

It’s quite a trick to avoid honest simple questions over years, then turn it into complaints of others’ nit-picking.
It’s comical to imagine a cheery young shoplifter avoiding questions, entertaining with jokes, flattery, then accuse officers of superfluous “nit picking.”

But in today’s world .. up is down.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN