Poll: Childhood Trauma

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Check all that generally describe your growing up situation...

1. My parents/guardians weren't perfect, but I couldn't ask for a better home/growing up experience. The home where I grew up was characterized by a lot of love and acceptance.
27%
2. There was a lot of anger and "distancing emotions" in the home where I grew up.
10%
3. There was verbal and emotional abuse in the home where I grew up.
10%
4. There was physical abuse in the home where I grew up.
3%
5. There was sexual abuse in the home where I grew up.
3%
6. There was no abuse in the home where I grew up.
20%
7. Both home and school were emotionally positive environments for me.
17%
8. Neither home nor school were emotionally positive environments for me. There was trauma both places.
3%
9. Home was a safe place but school was not. I experienced a lot of trauma at school.
3%
10. I experienced a lot of trauma at home, but school was a good experience.
3%

Total votes: 30

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Childhood Trauma

Post by Ernie »

I first began taking public speaking engagements about 23 years ago.

My first topic was one that was assigned to me. Teasing, Tormenting, and Trauma.

You can find my notes for that topic here.
https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... ection.pdf
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Poll: Childhood Trauma

Post by Ernie »

By J. D. Vance
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEy-xTbcr2A

This was a good talk... Vance describes life for those in traumatic circumstances and how hard it is to break out of abusive and neglectful homes and circumstances.

Some questions came to my mind about the 40% of lower income homes experiencing multiple instances of trauma compared to 29% for upper income homes. (9:00)
He referred to the 40% as "nearly half" and went on to make his case about lower income homes not offering much training and how the military helped him with this.
But the difference between upper income and lower income is only 11%. So why not also talk about the 29%. Are they working class homes? What options do the 29% have that the 40% do not?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I am thankful that I was taught a good work ethic. I feel i was able to carry that over to my own children.

My dad was very averse to new technology. I grew up with Tv in the home, but it is no where near the threat it can be today. I was the only student in 5th grade that still had a black & white TV. We were late to the game to get a VHS player. Mom bought us the original Nintendo when it was all the rage and dad made her take it back.

Looking back, I don't regret that stuff.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

My parents were wonderful as were my grandparents, aunts and uncles. School was a good memory as well. The most impactful trauma of my childhood was the German blitzkrieg of Britain. After watching friends and families lose loved ones to the bombings, we all placed our priorities on loving each other and helping each other as we never knew who would die next or be maimed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 am My parents were wonderful as were my grandparents, aunts and uncles. School was a good memory as well. The most impactful trauma of my childhood was the German blitzkrieg of Britain. After watching friends and families lose loved ones to the bombings, we all placed our priorities on loving each other and helping each other as we never knew who would die next or be maimed.
Likewise, it was difficult for me growing up when my father left home to fight in the Great Emu War. What a relief when he returned home.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:01 pm
MaxPC wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 am My parents were wonderful as were my grandparents, aunts and uncles. School was a good memory as well. The most impactful trauma of my childhood was the German blitzkrieg of Britain. After watching friends and families lose loved ones to the bombings, we all placed our priorities on loving each other and helping each other as we never knew who would die next or be maimed.
Likewise, it was difficult for me growing up when my father left home to fight in the Great Emu War. What a relief when he returned home.
Your dad was involved with that? :shock: That's really interesting.

Update: (Look's the Great Emu War on Wikipedia). Wasn't that in the 1930s?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:09 pm

Well, the likelihood my dad was in that war is about as likely as anyone here remembers the Blitzkrieg in London.

I guess it is possible some people here are in their 90s… but it seems unlikely. So if on MN we can compose fictional but amusing narrative, I’m going to put in some effort to compose some of mine.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Josh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:15 pm

Well, the likelihood my dad was in that war is about as likely as anyone here remembers the Blitzkrieg in London.

I guess it is possible some people here are in their 90s… but it seems unlikely. So if on MN we can compose fictional but amusing narrative, I’m going to put in some effort to compose some of mine.
Max has previously mentioned that he's in his 90s and experienced the Blitzkrieg.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:12 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:15 pm

Max has previously mentioned that he's in his 90s and experienced the Blitzkrieg.
My father-in-law was on FB until his death, at 99. He was drafted, and did alternative service (as an Amishman). Of course he passed away in 2020.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:33 am I first began taking public speaking engagements about 23 years ago.

My first topic was one that was assigned to me. Teasing, Tormenting, and Trauma.

You can find my notes for that topic here.
https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... ection.pdf
Are you only asking about trauma from parental treatment? (i/.e., not from other sources, such as sibling bullying, or traumatic experiences, such as Max already mentioned?)

When I saw the topic question, I immediately thought of something that happened when I was 4 years old. That's pretty young, so all I remember of it was being told that another child, a friend on mine the same age, had been accidentally shot & killed by his 6 year old brother (a loaded gun left in an available place). I remember crawling under the kitchen table, and just staying there for a long time. I don't think I cried, and I don't know that my mom ever knew why I just sat under there for so long.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.