New Subsection?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: New Subsection?

Post by RZehr »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:56 am I am uncomfortable with giving a platform to groups that seek to proselytize our religion.

Please do not say that is not what you are doing, I have the playbook from when I was a missionary. You are following it exactly. This is normally referred to as “ pre evangelism.” Some call it grooming.

In other words, is the place for a Catholic answers section, where Mennonites are largely forbidden from challenging Catholic lies?
Same thing with Lex. I don’t believe at all his claim that a week ago he decided to be Anabaptist. I think it is a lie and charade in order to plant his antisemitism here.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:24 am Thankfully we can call out the lies. ..
This happens. i think of it in generally softer terms.
The opportunity to question, esp from an Anabaptist lens, is the “magnet.” Forums do not last if not interesting.
MD-MN has lasted ‘way beyond original expectations. :blah:

If Anabaptism offers better, is Truth, there is nothing to worry about. Over time, Truth prevails.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:46 am I set up a new subforum with rules. I moved the threads into it. Let me know if there are some that I missed.

If this does not work, I can undo it. If it works, it might be a good resource IF people obey the rules.
i visited it. Leaving it open will probably make a difference.
My perception has been, private subforums have not done well. (??)

Leaving it under Christian Theology is also helpful.

The nature of a internet discussion forums is .. reading.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:46 am I set up a new subforum with rules. I moved the threads into it. Let me know if there are some that I missed.

If this does not work, I can undo it. If it works, it might be a good resource IF people obey the rules.
Thank you, Robert; God bless you and your patience in offering this forum. The thread on Catholicism and the different Anabaptist groups were created by Ernie who sought to provide a safe, non-combative place to have questions asked and answered. For my part I am not interested in proselytising to convert others to Catholicism. I was invited here to provide answers to misinformation. While here I have met delightful people who I would consider my friends and as sources of sound thinking.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 pm

Thank you, Robert; God bless you and your patience in offering this forum. The thread on Catholicism and the different Anabaptist groups were created by Ernie who sought to provide a safe, non-combative place to have questions asked and answered. For my part I am not interested in proselytising to convert others to Catholicism. I was invited here to provide answers to misinformation. While here I have met delightful people who I would consider my friends and as sources of sound thinking.
… who invited you here to correct misinformation?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:24 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:56 am I am uncomfortable with giving a platform to groups that seek to proselytize our religion.

Please do not say that is not what you are doing, I have the playbook from when I was a missionary. You are following it exactly. This is normally referred to as “ pre evangelism.” Some call it grooming.

In other words, is the place for a Catholic answers section, where Mennonites are largely forbidden from challenging Catholic lies?
Thankfully we can call out the lies. If this were a Catholic forum we would be banned trying to do the same.
Am I remembering historical Anabaptism wrong? I thought in the earliest days I had read Anabaptists (or Radical Reformers or Evangelical Anabaptists) would show up at Catholic Churches and loudly talk over the priests?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I support this new subsection creation and will try to live by the rules. Thankyou.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:40 pm

Thankfully we can call out the lies. If this were a Catholic forum we would be banned trying to do the same.
Am I remembering historical Anabaptism wrong? I thought in the earliest days I had read Anabaptists (or Radical Reformers or Evangelical Anabaptists) would show up at Catholic Churches and loudly talk over the priests?
Not defending their practices, but they got burned, drowned and hung. So a little more dramatic then banning them.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm

Not defending their practices, but they got burned, drowned and hung. So a little more dramatic then banning them.
The point was Anabaptists were not opposed to proselytizing other Christians in their own churches. And the ancient churches were very familiar with martyrdom themselves as many are . Mennonites should not fear other Christians views
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:57 pm
Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:52 pm

The point was Anabaptists were not opposed to proselytizing other Christians in their own churches. And the ancient churches were very familiar with martyrdom themselves as many are . Mennonites should not fear other Christians views
Actually, The point was that a Catholic Forum would ban us. Appealing to ancient churches that had Anabaptists witness in… No Anabaptist Church would burn any Catholic that started witnessing in the church. Their doctrine would be challenged. Likewise on this forum Catholic opinions will be challenged but not banned. We don’t even ban people espousing nonsensical views on Jews.

So really you can’t appeal to ancient tradition to justify a modern Catholic practice on the Anabaptist forum. Without at least admitting that the same would not work the other way around based on that same ancient tradition.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat