New Subsection?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: New Subsection?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I would support this only after at least one catholic forum gives us similar privileges.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:15 pm I would support this only after at least one catholic forum gives us similar privileges.
:lol:
for myself, my interest in Catholic topics here is attempting to get c. Anabaptist responses+perspectives.
i’m not disappointed.

also, i’m not looking for encyclopedic answers, but real people responses/opinions/discussion. warts+all.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

You never know who is reading forum to learn. If creating this made it less combative it could be he helpful to people that don't get involved in posting but may be trying to discern.

I have had Mennos pm me apologizing for the way people have responded to what I shared regarding EO. It seems some are interested in EO and read this forum. Maybe they are on the fence. However at least for me it would possibly be wrong to represent EO. And I think lur kk era have observed the combative attitudes so probably won't post.

It's a good idea in theory so long as mockery is absent and there are people actually authoritative in the religion? Like Max- he is actually Catholic so his information is trustworthy.

I have learned much about EO but I don't think we have an actual representative here. We have had them post here.

I have visited other FB groups and disappointed at attitudes too regarding responses to explanations. Maybe lurkers are trying to discern things by observing responses. I do believe in contending for the faith which differences will arise if it can be done kindly without mockery or anger it may work. As it is now, feathers fly too easily.

I'd hate to burden Robert & others with this task.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:32 pm It's a good idea in theory so long as mockery is absent and there are people actually authoritative in the religion? Like Max- he is actually Catholic so his information is trustworthy.
We (a) have no evidence he is actually Catholic other than his own claims to be “Plain Catholic”, and (b) his information hasn’t been trustworthy. He frequently makes claims like that the USCCB documents aren’t official Catholic doctrine, only Vatican sources have any authority. I’ve never heard any real life Catholic do this.
I have learned much about EO but I don't think we have an actual representative here. We have had them post here.
I don’t think MennoNet needs to be some forum for dissemination of EO views.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 am
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:32 pm It's a good idea in theory so long as mockery is absent and there are people actually authoritative in the religion? Like Max- he is actually Catholic so his information is trustworthy.
We (a) have no evidence he is actually Catholic other than his own claims to be “Plain Catholic”, and (b) his information hasn’t been trustworthy. He frequently makes claims like that the USCCB documents aren’t official Catholic doctrine, only Vatican sources have any authority. I’ve never heard any real life Catholic do this.
I don’t think MennoNet needs to be some forum for dissemination of EO views.
The topic was about a sub forum for the various religions including EO among the list, thank you for your vote.

I believe Max is Catholic. I've heard much preposterous and questionable claims on the forum but I do not doubt Max, plus I sense the fruit of the Spirit in him. Nobody is without sin, but he's been on forum a long time, no reason to doubt he's Catholic.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Maybe we need an antisemitism section.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I am uncomfortable with giving a platform to groups that seek to proselytize our religion.

Please do not say that is not what you are doing, I have the playbook from when I was a missionary. You are following it exactly. This is normally referred to as “ pre evangelism.” Some call it grooming.

In other words, is the place for a Catholic answers section, where Mennonites are largely forbidden from challenging Catholic lies?
1 x
:hug:
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:56 am I am uncomfortable with giving a platform to groups that seek to proselytize our religion.

Please do not say that is not what you are doing, I have the playbook from when I was a missionary. You are following it exactly. This is normally referred to as “ pre evangelism.” Some call it grooming.

In other words, is the place for a Catholic answers section, where Mennonites are largely forbidden from challenging Catholic lies?
Thankfully we can call out the lies. If this were a Catholic forum we would be banned trying to do the same.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I set up a new subforum with rules. I moved the threads into it. Let me know if there are some that I missed.

If this does not work, I can undo it. If it works, it might be a good resource IF people obey the rules.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

This may be a minority view, but I don't mind proselytizing as long as it is based in persuasion, honesty and openness. Care enough to bring your best and will listen at least once. Once it verges into saying negative things about others instead of presenting your own ideas in a positive light, then I grow weary.
3 x