Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Plain Anabaptist Missions, Ministries, and Church Planting

Post by MaxPC »

I can share that in rural and small town areas, there are cooperative missions run by different denominations whose volunteers work together. The pastors have seats on the board and share the workload between their congregations. Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, etc. work to keep these missions humming without theological animus.

Some of the ministries involve:
- Helping the elderly and poor with home repairs.
- Running food pantries, food kitchens and thrift stores to assist the impoverished with clothing and nutrition
- Creating community food plots for fresh fruit and veg to supply the food pantry.
- Providing free transportation to doctor appointments or shopping.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

Post by Ernie »

A thread to discuss this...
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Plain Anabaptist Missions, Ministries, and Church Planting

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:20 pm I can share that in rural and small town areas, there are cooperative missions run by different denominations whose volunteers work together. The pastors have seats on the board and share the workload between their congregations. Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, etc. work to keep these missions humming without theological animus.

Some of the ministries involve:
- Helping the elderly and poor with home repairs.
- Running food pantries, food kitchens and thrift stores to assist the impoverished with clothing and nutrition
- Creating community food plots for fresh fruit and veg to supply the food pantry.
- Providing free transportation to doctor appointments or shopping.
Additionally I can think of disaster relief operations that are ecumenical.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

Post by Josh »

I can think of disaster relief organisations that are restricted to just those of like precious faith.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

By nature, missions will limit the participation of groups to those of similar views. On my mission field, in the late 90s, we had Mennonite Brethren , Evangelical Free, C&MA and Plymouth Brethren. We had a Presbyterian couple, but it was with the understanding that all baptisms on field would be believer's baptism.

This was to insure that the message would not be confusing to the hearers.

For disaster relief, it may be a bit more flexible.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It would be helpful if there were a list of plain/CA organisations and then an accompanying list of their acceptable affiliations. Eg i58 will take almost anyone (cmc etc), whereas the Wengers disaste relief is only open to their young men.

Our own VS units are actually open to any CO but I haven’t heard of any outsiders applying to join one.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Many, many Bible translation projects include translators from different denominations. That helps avoid denominational bias.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:45 pm Many, many Bible translation projects include translators from different denominations. That helps avoid denominational bias.
What would be wrong with having unbelievers translate? Wouldn’t have to deal with any bias.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:45 pm Many, many Bible translation projects include translators from different denominations. That helps avoid denominational bias.
Tribal groups in our area of Brazil tend to be very small. (Banawa was probably the smallest, with 59 members at the time we were assigned to work there, in 1986.) So generally there is just one couple, or two singles in any one allocation. But we did cooperate with a YWAM (think mild Pentecostal) couple who also worked in the same village. In the early years, the people did all they could to "get us at each other's throats", well, mostly tried to create jealousy. I was not allowed (by WBT mission policy) to baptize anyone, but I was there in the water along with the YWAM (JOCUM in Brazil) missionary. I read the Scripture and made some comments. Then years later, when the people decided that they wanted to have a church house, the JOCUM man & I worked together on the building plan, and both worked on the construction phase (for which I got in trouble with some in our own mission - not the part about working with JOCUM, but with being involved in the building process).

The part of the Bible translation process that plays a major role in preventing theological bias is the translation consultant checking process. No interpretation will be approved without adequate commentary support. (And although I never heard of anyone trying to use a "denominationally linked commentary" as support for a unique interpretation, I'm confident that it would not be accepted anyway. There is a great deal more danger of this occurring with the method being used by Wycliffe Associates, which is not at all connected with Wycliffe Bible Translators. It was at one time, having been organized by mostly builders who wanted to use their abilities to aid in the translation task. We had many good experiences working with both volunteers and staff from WA during those years. My father-in-law was on the WA board for a number of years. But they later went off the rails, thinking that they could do a better job of Bible translation than those who had taken the necessary education in order to do it well.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:28 pm
What would be wrong with having unbelievers translate? Wouldn’t have to deal with any bias.
Where will you find unbelievers who are familiar with Koine Greek, or who are willing to live in primitive settings for very little pay? Then there is the deal about the Holy Spirit revealing the truth. Maybe I am misunderstanding. A lot of the early translation work we did was in fact working with Banawa men who were unbelievers. But there needs to be a Christian involved who knows both the Scripture and the "target language" well enough to know when the suggested translation is saying something entirely different.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.