Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

Post by Bootstrap »

What online sources are there for the Froschauer Bible?

I found one here:

https://www.e-rara.ch/zuz/content/title ... 92?lang=en

Is this the source you used, Josh? It looks the same to me.

Are there digitized versions that use a modern alphabet? I am comfortable with Fraktur (and have books in Fraktur on my shelf), but a lot of people who read German are not.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:51 am What online sources are there for the Froschauer Bible?

I found one here:

It's a little different from what Josh showed earlier - but there were different editions. And these differences don't affect the word Selig except for spelling differences.

Are there digitized versions that use a modern alphabet? I am comfortable with Fraktur (and have books in Fraktur on my shelf), but a lot of people who read German are not.
Especially those who are at about introductory course level. Sitting German class during the pandemic was a hoot.
0 x
:hug:
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:57 am Especially those who are at about introductory course level. Sitting German class during the pandemic was a hoot.
FWIW, you could probably learn Fraktur in about an hour by comparing the text of a Luther Bible in both alphabets. Or just puzzle out some text using this chart:

https://web.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/fraktur

If you use Anki, there's an Anki deck for it:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/989130575

Here's a Youtube video that uses English words to teach Fraktur - it looks useful:

0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yeah, Boot, that was the resource I used.

For what it’s worth I think it’s worthwhile to often try to read the original manuscripts, although the original Greek manuscripts are… wow are they hard to read.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:15 am Yeah, Boot, that was the resource I used.

For what it’s worth I think it’s worthwhile to often try to read the original manuscripts, although the original Greek manuscripts are… wow are they hard to read.
The transcriptions are easier to read. Compare:

1. A collation:
https://www.greekcntr.org/collation/index.htm

2. A transcription of one papyrus:
https://www.greekcntr.org/manuscripts/i ... v=40001001

3. The papyrus itself

https://www.greekcntr.org/manuscripts/d ... 01-002.htm
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

How well do Amish actually understand the Luther translation and the King James Bible? I would like people to really understand the Bible and get engrossed in it, not just memorizing individual verses, but really getting caught up in the text and reading it. And translations can get in the way of that.

When I did prison ministry, I was struck by the fact that many, many prisoners insisted on the King James Bible, but did not understand it. And studies have shown that most readers have a harder time understanding the King James than modern versions.

I suspect that may be true of the Luther Bible as well. I haven't ever actually had the kind of conversation with an Amish person that would tell me how well they read Luther German, but it's quite different from the language I hear them speak. And the KJV is quite different from modern English.

But I don't know how well they would understand the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible either. Or how widely used it is. I do think it was done by a competent translator, who was trying to do something good. It could be really helpful, it could miss the mark, I have no way of knowing. It might be a great resource that simply won't get used because the Amish will continue to use the older translations. Or maybe it is getting used, perhaps more by individuals than by congregations. I wouldn't know.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:40 am How well do Amish actually understand the Luther translation and the King James Bible? I would like people to really understand the Bible and get engrossed in it, not just memorizing individual verses, but really getting caught up in the text and reading it. And translations can get in the way of that.
It would vary. When I visited a Hutterite colony, they were very serious about learning German. Some Amish schools take the time to instruct it, and others do not.

In modern German society, some regions have a regional dialect which is not mutually intelligible with standard German, and children learn German in school (or from TV). The Amish have, essentially, retained this system.

As far as understanding the KJV... well, see my comments below.
But I don't know how well they would understand the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible either. Or how widely used it is. I do think it was done by a competent translator, who was trying to do something good. It could be really helpful, it could miss the mark, I have no way of knowing. It might be a great resource that simply won't get used because the Amish will continue to use the older translations. Or maybe it is getting used, perhaps more by individuals than by congregations. I wouldn't know.
And here is why I think the PA Dutch Bible is not that useful. It uses, oddly enough, English orthography, so it is limited to people who can read and write English. PA Dutch is not a language which most of its speakers consider a written language. If they need to read or write something, they will simply use English, which most PA Dutch speakers possess native fluency in - particularly ones who are literate and can read or write.

So this is a book which has a bizarre orthography and is in a language they aren't accustomed to reading and writing, whereas they could just go read the KJV, or one of the many other English translations of the Bible - which are amongst the best in the world. So if they want to do serious Bible study, they would just do that.

More importantly, though, for Amish people who plan to retain PA Dutch and their Amish culture, they consider both the Lutherbibel, standard German, and Fraktur typography a very important part of their culture. They will go to the trouble to instruct in school both the standard Roman alphabet and also the Fraktur alphabet. And they will instruct children how to read both English and German.

Some don't feel this way - and they are comfortable switching to English. This would include many Amish-Mennonites. My own denomination made a decision around the 1920s that they should preach and teach in the language that is the majority around them, for evangelism purposes. So they stopped reading German Bibles and preaching in German. For our one congregation and one mission in a French-speaking area in North America, they preach in French. For our handful of missions in Spanish-speaking regions in North America, they sing and preach in Spanish.

At the same time, that has been accompanied with a tremendous loss of culture. The only people in my congregation who can speak Low German are a couple in their 80s and a girl who grew up in Bolivia.

Trying to impose the idea of a PA Dutch Bible onto Amish culture ignores a lot of Amish cultural realities, and ignores the realities of what it is to be a people who are literate, who choose to retain a traditional German regional dialect (specifically, the one still spoken in Pfälz), and who choose to retain the system of German literacy of learning to read standard German.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:51 am What online sources are there for the Froschauer Bible?

I found one here:

Is this the source you used, Josh? It looks the same to me.

It is not included in the free off-line Bible program called the Word.

Here are the German versions available there:

German
Purchase for use
Elberfelder Bibel 2006 R. Brockhaus Verlag Wuppertal
Elberfelder Übersetzung Edition CSV
Lutherbibel 1984 mit Apokryphen Bible with Deuterocanon
Lutherbibel 2017 mit Apokryphen Bible with Apocrypha
Neue Genfer Übersetzung
Schlachter Bibel 2000

Free for use
Elberfelder Übersetzung von 1871
German 'Neue evangelistische Übersetzung'
German 'van Ess' translation
German Darby Unrevidierte Elberfelder 1905
Hermann Menge (1841-1939) Translation
Luther translation 1545
Luther translation 1912
Textbibel des Alten und Neuen Testaments

(The Luther 1545 is not in Fractur font, so I assume that none of the others are, either.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:03 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:57 am Especially those who are at about introductory course level. Sitting German class during the pandemic was a hoot.
FWIW, you could probably learn Fraktur in about an hour by comparing the text of a Luther Bible in both alphabets. Or just puzzle out some text using this chart:

https://web.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/fraktur

If you use Anki, there's an Anki deck for it:

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/989130575

Here's a Youtube video that uses English words to teach Fraktur - it looks useful:

Another way to compare these fonts would be to get the Word Bible program, and then copy passages into a document program like MS Word, or LibreOffice or OpenOffice Writer. Download a free Fractur font & install that as well. (You can also get a German font that is meant to be the same as the old German cursive.)

Then make a second copy of the same passage in that document, and assign the Fratur font to one of the copies.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:15 am For what it’s worth I think it’s worthwhile to often try to read the original manuscripts, although the original Greek manuscripts are… wow are they hard to read.
The original manuscripts have been found? :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited