Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Cooperative Missions Run by Different Denominations

Post by Neto »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:40 am How well do Amish actually understand the Luther translation and the King James Bible? I would like people to really understand the Bible and get engrossed in it, not just memorizing individual verses, but really getting caught up in the text and reading it. And translations can get in the way of that.

When I did prison ministry, I was struck by the fact that many, many prisoners insisted on the King James Bible, but did not understand it. And studies have shown that most readers have a harder time understanding the King James than modern versions.

I suspect that may be true of the Luther Bible as well. I haven't ever actually had the kind of conversation with an Amish person that would tell me how well they read Luther German, but it's quite different from the language I hear them speak. And the KJV is quite different from modern English.

But I don't know how well they would understand the Pennsylvania Dutch Bible either. Or how widely used it is. I do think it was done by a competent translator, who was trying to do something good. It could be really helpful, it could miss the mark, I have no way of knowing. It might be a great resource that simply won't get used because the Amish will continue to use the older translations. Or maybe it is getting used, perhaps more by individuals than by congregations. I wouldn't know.
When I did Bible studies with some new Christians from the plating shop where I worked back in the late 70's and very early 80's, those people (basically Hippies and still using some drugs), they also insisted on the KJV. Back then I just assumed they felt that way because they probably had child-hood exposure to some church or another, and the KJV was still the dominant version in that era.

I do not know High German, and only partially understand and speak Deitsch. So I also cannot judge how well the Amish understand High German. But some Old Order ministers have told me that they read the Deitsch version during study, to help them understand the Deutsch.

I haven't had any contact with him in recent years, but one OO Amish minister I know was also a school teacher, and really stressed that area of learning in the school - the ability to read and understand Deutsch. (I helped him get German fonts, so that he could produce study material for his students. He also published a German language periodical.)

So I would say that the ability to read & understand Deutsch varies greatly from person to person. (Sometimes when I'm on-site at an Amish-owned business, the owner's young children are there as well, and if they are very young, I try to talk with them a bit in Deitsch. At one business here in the Berlin area, when I did that, the child's mother told me that he doesn't speak much Deitsch, mostly only English. And yes, these were Old Order Amish.)

(When my mom was a child, part of the Sunday School time was spent with learning to read German, and the rest of the time was actual Bible study, also in German. This would have been in the mid thirties into the forties. At some point during the war the services were all switched to English, because 'we' were a very small minority in that area, and local suspicion and distrust was very high toward German speakers - to the point that police sometimes came in and broke up the services, forcing everyone to leave.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

I was going to add this to my previous post as a EDIT, but I was too late:

One comment regarding the Fratur font: There was a non-Mennonite family in our MB congregation, an American man who had married a woman he met while serving in the US occupation force in Germany. I was doing some research from our old church records, and she offered to help me with the German. But while she had gone through school in Germany, they no longer used the old script at all there, and she couldn't read it at all. They eventually managed to get her mother out of East Germany, and she knew the old script, but no English. So she read the old church records to her daughter, who translated into English for me.

I have also heard people say that even the Amish who know high German well do not speak it like modern Germans do. There is also a Swiss community here in this area, and I hear the same about them - the language forms used in these cultural enclaves have changed less, or in different ways than the country of origin.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm (The Luther 1545 is not in Fractur font, so I assume that none of the others are, either.)
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔞𝔟𝔩𝔶 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔫𝔱 𝔦𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔅𝔦𝔟𝔩𝔢 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔤𝔯𝔞𝔪 𝔱𝔬 𝔉𝔯𝔞𝔨𝔱𝔲𝔯, 𝔦𝔣 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶 𝔴𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔱𝔬.
1 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:38 pm
Neto wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm (The Luther 1545 is not in Fractur font, so I assume that none of the others are, either.)
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔞𝔟𝔩𝔶 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔫𝔱 𝔦𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔅𝔦𝔟𝔩𝔢 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔤𝔯𝔞𝔪 𝔱𝔬 𝔉𝔯𝔞𝔨𝔱𝔲𝔯, 𝔦𝔣 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶 𝔴𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔱𝔬.
You are correct. (I had tried to do that before, but just looked again, and found it this time. You can actually chose one font for the Scripture text, and another for the notes. I didn't check to see if the font setting is book specific, that is, if all of the English language books would change as well automatically. If so, it would just need to be changed when needed.)
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

It will be a long time until I am at any of your level of fluency. Maybe even Heaven.
0 x
:hug:
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:38 pm
Here is one such font:

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/UnifrakturCook

You can also practice typing in normal letters and see the equivalent using this tool:

https://capitalizemytitle.com/fraktur-font-generator/

𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔦𝔰 𝔞 𝔱𝔢𝔵𝔱 𝔦𝔫 𝔣𝔯𝔞𝔨𝔱𝔲𝔯.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?