Your Prayer Habits

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Your Prayer Habits

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is for those who care to share how big prayer is in their spiritual life, where they spend their private prayer (i.e. prayer closet) and any thoughts or experiences they have in their prayer times.

Here is an article on 'prayer closets' and 'war rooms'. Any thoughts on this article ?

https://sharinglifeandlove.com/blog/how ... %20prayers!

What I have noticed and I wonder if others have noticed this too, is when it comes to praying, it seems to me the ladies are much more active in talking about prayer and prayer needs than men are.

Personally, I have not been one who spends time each day in an isolated prayer closet where there is nothing to distract me. I talk to the Lord more 'on the fly', throughout the day. Some days more than others. But I do think there is something in what Jesus says here that is important and not just a way of saying don't be praying in public to impress others as the Pharisees where.

Jesus said -
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

I had an aunt who had a small room (like a large closet with a small window) who furnished that little prayer spot and made it sound proof for her periods of prayer throughout the day. One could only see the sky through the window. She spent much time in prayer and her living reflected a person very intune with God. When I think of anyone that lives in a way to continuously be filled with the Spirit, I think of her. Often speaking in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs making melody in her heart unto the Lord throughout the day.

Jesus also got away from distractions to be alone with the Father. If He thought it important, so should I but I get lazy with my spiritual disciplines.

Perhaps as others share their prayer experiences it will be an encouragement to those like me to create some new prayer habits.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Your Prayer Habits

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:27 pm This thread is for those who care to share how big prayer is in their spiritual life, where they spend their private prayer (i.e. prayer closet) and any thoughts or experiences they have in their prayer times.

Here is an article on 'prayer closets' and 'war rooms'. Any thoughts on this article ?

https://sharinglifeandlove.com/blog/how ... %20prayers!

What I have noticed and I wonder if others have noticed this too, is when it comes to praying, it seems to me the ladies are much more active in talking about prayer and prayer needs than men are.

Personally, I have not been one who spends time each day in an isolated prayer closet where there is nothing to distract me. I talk to the Lord more 'on the fly', throughout the day. Some days more than others. But I do think there is something in what Jesus says here that is important and not just a way of saying don't be praying in public to impress others as the Pharisees where.

Jesus said -
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

I had an aunt who had a small room (like a large closet with a small window) who furnished that little prayer spot and made it sound proof for her periods of prayer throughout the day. One could only see the sky through the window. She spent much time in prayer and her living reflected a person very intune with God. When I think of anyone that lives in a way to continuously be filled with the Spirit, I think of her. Often speaking in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs making melody in her heart unto the Lord throughout the day.

Jesus also got away from distractions to be alone with the Father. If He thought it important, so should I but I get lazy with my spiritual disciplines.

Perhaps as others share their prayer experiences it will be an encouragement to those like me to create some new prayer habits.
Your aunt's example is quite inspiring to me. The need to minimise interruptions, disractions and noise is important in my opinion. Yet there are times I have found myself praying silently in the middle of a train station without ear plugs. Those things I find terribly distracting are the computer and the ubiquitous telly playing in every waiting lounge.

Lectio divina (prayerful reading of the Bible) every day is the one with which I am most consistent. When others ask for prayers, I pray on the spot so that I do not forget to do so.

If I am with others who know how to pray it, then the Liturgy of the Hours is also included. The LOH can be a bit tricky for the uninitiated so I reserve that prayer time when with others who understand how to pray it.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I'm curious who else here uses the method called 'Lectio divina' in their prayer times ?

This article in Anabaptist World says - 'Another helpful practice is “lectio divina,” which involves listening to a Scripture several times and noting which word or phrase speaks to us.' https://anabaptistworld.org/read-study-pray-live/

Just scanning this term I see where there are pros and cons by some as to using this method.

Is your church in support of it's use ? Against using it ? Or do they take a position on it ?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:25 pm I'm curious who else here uses the method called 'Lectio divina' in their prayer times ?

This article in Anabaptist World says - 'Another helpful practice is “lectio divina,” which involves listening to a Scripture several times and noting which word or phrase speaks to us.' https://anabaptistworld.org/read-study-pray-live/

Just scanning this term I see where there are pros and cons by some as to using this method.

Is your church in support of it's use ? Against using it ? Or do they take a position on it ?
While waiting for any possible responses to the questions above, some of my experience -

I grew up in a church where they never even recited the Lord's Prayer/Our Father. I only recited it in public school each morning. I don't ever recall even using any written prayers that people have created. When I was a youngster, and we were in some fairly long prayer services where various people one after another would 'lead in prayer', and one of our entertainments as kids, was to count the number of times some would use repeated fill in language to keep their prayers sounding fluent.

I still remember one lady that somewhere in her prayer the phrase 'the sustenance of His power' would be prayed and as kids we waited to hear it. Some would repeat phrases to begin or end a phrase with things like 'Dear Jesus', 'O God', 'Heavenly Father' and others to keep their prayers flowing. When I first heard people pray carefully selecting their words and some taking breaks between one issue and the next, they sounded like amateurs to me in how they prayed. Later in life, these carefully worded prayers with silent breaks were the ones I really paid attention to and still do.

In some of our prayer meetings, those who would lead out in prayer would pray the same things as has already been prayed about by someone else. I look at this text and wonder if at times we might enter into what Jesus said not to do when praying - Matthew 6:7-8
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
Now this text could be referring to just repeating phrases in prayer over and over again but perhaps it could also be applied to one person after another praying in church over the same subject and just wording it differently. Any thoughts on this ?

My preference is in group prayer with everyone participating in praying out loud one at a time (or those who care to) is when the leader in the group first writes down prayer requests and then asks who will pray over specific requests. Any not taken by group members the leader prays for these. This was how we did it in the MB church I attended.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

As a Lenten practice I've begun using the Anabaptist prayer book "Take our Moments" for morning and evening prayer. I've really liked it thus far.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:25 pm As a Lenten practice I've begun using the Anabaptist prayer book "Take our Moments" for morning and evening prayer. I've really liked it thus far.
Interesting and I just ran across it here - https://www.ambs.edu/anabaptist-prayer-book/
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:37 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:25 pm As a Lenten practice I've begun using the Anabaptist prayer book "Take our Moments" for morning and evening prayer. I've really liked it thus far.
Interesting and I just ran across it here - https://www.ambs.edu/anabaptist-prayer-book/
This book appears quite promising. I see there is a download available too. I am pleasantly surprised to see it address the liturgical seasons (i.e. Lent, Ordinary Time, etc.)
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God