Can anything good come out of the internet?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Can anything good come out of the internet?

Post by MaxPC »

For that matter, will anything good come out of the internet?

The easy accessibility to Bibles online has been a good result I believe. But what of all the other internet bits?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Can anything good come out of the internet?

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:21 pm For that matter, will anything good come out of the internet?

The easy accessibility to Bibles online has been a good result I believe. But what of all the other internet bits?
It is a necessary evil, in my opinion.

I also think people were happier before we were all connected. Now there is (almost) no turning back.

I'm sure I'll have more to say by morning.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:59 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:21 pm For that matter, will anything good come out of the internet?

It is a necessary evil, in my opinion.

I also think people were happier before we were all connected. Now there is (almost) no turning back.

I'm sure I'll have more to say by morning.
Make sure you've had enough coffee first. :shock:
3 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

silentreader wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:46 pm

Yeah... I try to have at least one down before replying to emails or posting online.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:02 pm

Yeah... I try to have at least one down before replying to emails or posting online.
Once I made my coffee with Red Bull. I was halfway to work before I realized I forgot my car.
5 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:20 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:02 pm
Once I made my coffee with Red Bull. I was halfway to work before I realized I forgot my car.
One good thing about the internet is that I can measure the distance (or lack thereof) involved in that statement. :geek:
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I have learned many valuable things from the Internet, car repair, music lessons, inspiration and trade craft in my career (building furniture), in the past I learned a lot from Mennonet and it's predecessor both things I now embrace and things I intend to stay away from.
5 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

barnhart wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:57 pm I have learned many valuable things from the Internet, car repair, music lessons, inspiration and trade craft in my career (building furniture), in the past I learned a lot from Mennonet and it's predecessor both things I now embrace and things I intend to stay away from.
Yes, one of the best contributions of the internet is that anyone can get high quality teaching for any number of valuable skills like car repair, welding, and plumbing—and all for free. If you’re adventurous enough to dive in and try something on your own you can pick up a lot of valuable skills.
4 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

The internet and social media have been a way to keep up with college friends who aren't into writing letters- even before email was ever around.
My sister in law used internet to connect with her grandchildren who are overseas - she would read books to them on FaceTime or whatever it is called on the computer. Have other friends who have grandchildren a distance away and can't see them often and use the internet for face to face visits.

Like everything else- there is good and there is bad and we have to learn to use the good and forgo the bad and like anything else many will use it for bad. But that doesn't make the internet bad.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Given how prolifically you post stuff from the Internet on MennoNet, you must see some kind of good in it.
0 x