Can anything good come out of the internet?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Can anything good come out of the internet?

Post by steve-in-kville »

One thing that could be a good thing, yet I see a down side as well, is helpful YouTube videos. Gone are the days of having to get a manual and read it. Computer stuff, cooking, working on cars, guns, household appliances, etc. Search for it and someone has a vid on it.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

We will find out when it's gone. (By what we miss. But perhaps not us, but a future generation.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:21 am One thing that could be a good thing, yet I see a down side as well, is helpful YouTube videos. Gone are the days of having to get a manual and read it. Computer stuff, cooking, working on cars, guns, household appliances, etc. Search for it and someone has a vid on it.
This is gradually being displaced by AI generated garbage with poor quality information.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:21 am One thing that could be a good thing, yet I see a down side as well, is helpful YouTube videos. Gone are the days of having to get a manual and read it. Computer stuff, cooking, working on cars, guns, household appliances, etc. Search for it and someone has a vid on it.
Today I did some panel rewiring after watching a YouTube video on how to do it and was able to do it successfully with only a few minor electrical shocks.

(Just kidding about the shocks—the rest of it is true though.)
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Pelerin wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:03 pm
Today I did some panel rewiring after watching a YouTube video on how to do it and was able to do it successfully with only a few minor electrical shocks.

(Just kidding about the shocks—the rest of it is true though.)
I am shocked. :D Is rewiring that straightforward?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I would re-word that to say "Gone are the days of being able to get a manual that is readable, reliable and complete."

I hate getting manuals that seem to have been machine-translated from Chinese.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Another benefit of the internet is the ability to access parallel Bible translations on Biblegateway and similar websites. It certainly is better than carting around one of those bulky parallel Bibles.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God