Poll: Modesty

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Choose all that you agree with in a general way...

1. Modesty includes not wearing costly array
14%
2. Modesty includes dressing humbly, simply, and without ostentation
13%
3. Modesty includes covering the body
12%
4. Modesty includes wearing loose clothing and clothing that helps conceal a person's figure
10%
5. Since the Bible does not specifically say that we should dress modestly in order to make it easier for others to control their lustful thoughts, there cannot be any measure of truth in this idea at all.
1%
6. Some ideas and values in life can be arrived at intuitively or by observation, and the Bible does not need to specifically address it, in order for the thing to be true or good. (However, we should not make such conclusions equal with the teaching we find in the Bible.)
11%
7. Some discussions about modesty end up feeding and nurturing fetishes and this is not of God. These sorts of discussions should be eliminated, and our personal or corporate standards should not reflect these sorts of things.
6%
8. There can be value in a group of individuals agreeing to abide by certain modesty practices that will help and encourage them to live their lives in love and holiness for God and each other.
13%
9. While men and women should not be blamed for the lust issues of others, men and women should still be encouraged to consider the struggles of others and avoid dressing (or not dressing) in a way that could add to their struggles. We should try to put ourselves in other’s shoes and show kindness and deference to them when we can. It is possible to function this way towards others, without feeling or taking any blame if others cannot control their thoughts. And it is possible to function this way in a general sense, without stressing over whether we have for sure done enough, and without stressing over whether we have eliminated all possible ways for adding to the struggles of others.
13%
10. Women should be taught that whilst they should not try to make men lust after them, they are not responsible if men choose to lust after them and otherwise behave sinfully towards them. In particular, when a Christian man falls into sin with a woman, a woman should not be made to feel ‘you made him do this’. Every member should be taught to possess their own vessel.
8%

Total votes: 130

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Poll: Modesty

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:19 pm
GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:05 pm In case anyone finds this funny, we would see the Rochester Mennonite women shopping, and could not for the life of us figure out why they had Doritos & Mt Dew in their carts.

We thought they had a better system or something. 😋
Oddly enough, back in eastern PA it is my understanding Eastern would frown upon freely buying sodas like that.
:laugh :laugh :laugh
You need to get out more.
1 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Re: Poll: Modesty

Post by GoodGirl »

I live in eastern PA now, and there’s so many plain people at the grocery store, I couldn’t pay attention to them all if I tried.

I will say there is pop in our cart. I guess I’m allowed a few ‘bad’ habits.
0 x