Poll: Modesty

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Choose all that you agree with in a general way...

1. Modesty includes not wearing costly array
14%
2. Modesty includes dressing humbly, simply, and without ostentation
13%
3. Modesty includes covering the body
12%
4. Modesty includes wearing loose clothing and clothing that helps conceal a person's figure
10%
5. Since the Bible does not specifically say that we should dress modestly in order to make it easier for others to control their lustful thoughts, there cannot be any measure of truth in this idea at all.
1%
6. Some ideas and values in life can be arrived at intuitively or by observation, and the Bible does not need to specifically address it, in order for the thing to be true or good. (However, we should not make such conclusions equal with the teaching we find in the Bible.)
11%
7. Some discussions about modesty end up feeding and nurturing fetishes and this is not of God. These sorts of discussions should be eliminated, and our personal or corporate standards should not reflect these sorts of things.
6%
8. There can be value in a group of individuals agreeing to abide by certain modesty practices that will help and encourage them to live their lives in love and holiness for God and each other.
13%
9. While men and women should not be blamed for the lust issues of others, men and women should still be encouraged to consider the struggles of others and avoid dressing (or not dressing) in a way that could add to their struggles. We should try to put ourselves in other’s shoes and show kindness and deference to them when we can. It is possible to function this way towards others, without feeling or taking any blame if others cannot control their thoughts. And it is possible to function this way in a general sense, without stressing over whether we have for sure done enough, and without stressing over whether we have eliminated all possible ways for adding to the struggles of others.
13%
10. Women should be taught that whilst they should not try to make men lust after them, they are not responsible if men choose to lust after them and otherwise behave sinfully towards them. In particular, when a Christian man falls into sin with a woman, a woman should not be made to feel ‘you made him do this’. Every member should be taught to possess their own vessel.
8%

Total votes: 130

GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Re: Poll: Modesty

Post by GoodGirl »

Yes!
And then just an hour ago I was sad we were out of Doritos because I wanted a really good haystack! 😊
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm No, that would’ve been interesting.

We were in western Washington State, way out in the woods.
Well Rochester has had a split, and now there is another church in Western Washington. I don't remember where it is. Maybe 45 minutes away from Rochester church? The ones who left and are starting the new church are affiliating with Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship.
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:16 pm

Well Rochester has had a split, and now there is another church in Western Washington. I don't remember where it is. Maybe 45 minutes away from Rochester church? The ones who left and are starting the new church are affiliating with Western Conservative Mennonite Fellowship.
I know… I wish we would’ve stayed. 😞
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm

For the split? :shock:
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:08 pm
Neto wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 am I hesitated on #6.
6. Some ideas and values in life can be arrived at intuitively or by observation, and the Bible does not need to specifically address it, in order for the thing to be true or good. (However, we should not make such conclusions equal with the teaching we find in the Bible.)
What does it mean to hold to a teaching, but not put it on par with teaching of Scripture? Does this mean that it is to be represented as:
a.) a secondary doctrine?
b.) an application of a Biblical principle, either by direct application at the primary level, or as a secondary application?
c.) an item in the congregation's guidelines?
d.) an appeal from the pulpit, or in private conversation?
These are good questions. I do not think we should establish as doctrine, something that the Bible does not say, nor something that could be interpreted different ways in the New Testament.
For example, the NT talks about God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit in various places. I think we should stop right there.
I was once part of a church whose doctrinal statement said, "God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit". I suggested that we change this to be what the New Testament says. They agreed and it was changed. The underlined is going beyond what the NT says. I don't have a problem with people believing the underlined, but I don't think it should be held at the same level as what the NT says.

When it comes to practical applications of NT principles and commands, I have no problem with a group of Christians agreeing together how they are going to put a teaching into practice. As long as they don't withhold communion, the holy kiss, and the right hand of fellowship from those who have a different application. And as long as they don't all agree to do something that God does not want them to do.
This is very different from a group of people agreeing that certain NT principles or commands are not for our day.
Neto wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 amIf the common expression "The Scripture is our authority for all matters of faith and conduct" is true, then how does this mesh with the idea of adding things which we feel are 'valid inferences"?
If everyone in a group is focused on obeying the teachings of the NT that are painfully easy to understand, this will take care of most disagreements. It is the things that are harder to understand that cause the most disagreements.

I guess I would need to hear what you think of when you say "valid inferences".
Regarding the Nature or Identity of the Holy Spirit:
I have had misgivings about claiming the doctrine of the trinity since Bible college days - not from what they taught, but from my own study. (I wrote a paper about this doctrine for Theology I class, must have been a Junior level course, so that's the era I will date my doubts back to.) But since then, or at least commonly on here, I have used the word 'deity' to describe the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. But recently I was questioned here on something of that sort I had said, and it reminded me that while one would 'expect' Jesus to have said this at some point, He is never recorded as speaking of the Holy Spirit in the same manner as He does of the Father - specifically that He never says "I and the Holy Spirit are one", or 'I in Him and He in Me' in reference to the Holy Spirit, as He repeatedly says of the Father.

I would like to discuss the nature and identity of the Holy Spirit, but want to do a read-through of the entire Scripture with this question in mind before I would say too much about it. All I can say now is that I think there is some significant difference. I know that the early "Church Councils" got together over questions similar to this, but since they went beyond the Scripture to come up with the Doctrine of the Trinity before they dealt specifically with the nature of the Holy Spirit, I don't put any real stock in what they said.

Also, for such a discussion here, I would ask all participants to, for the sake of that particular discussion, "assume" that the Doctrine of the Trinity is "in question", and thus to be set aside in the discussion. That is, I would want participants to avoid any arguments in its favor in that thread. If readers cannot do that - cannot assume that it may be false for the sake of the discussion, then I would ask them to not participate. (Not because I have determined it to be false, but that I have determined it to be extra-Biblical. I would just want to avoid the 'noise' or distraction of that question, in order to concentrate on a discussion about the Nature of the Holy Spirit without that added conflict.)

Regarding "Valid Inferences":
I purposely left that vague, because I intended to convey the "fuzzy" nature of doctrines or beliefs which cannot be clearly supported from Scripture. Specifically, I am referring to beliefs that get into "Systematic Theologies", and are presented on equal ground with clearly Biblical doctrine. The stuff they add to "fill in the gaps" with human logic, so that it all "makes sense". I prefer to leave the gaps - the mysteries.

I don't have a problem with people making applications based on Biblical doctrine, even secondary or tertiary ones.
An Example: Jer 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares YHWH, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

The primary application of this text is to the Jewish people, in captivity, in that time and place.
The secondary application could be said to be for all Jews, everywhere, and in every era of history.
One can also make an application that God has this same attitude and intention for ALL of His people, whether Jews or non-Jews, throughout all time. (This would be a tertiary application. It goes almost fully out of the context in which He uttered these words. However, other Scripture shows that He has this same concern for others as well. But it should certainly NOT be taken as a promise of favor toward any political entity.)

I doubt if I've really answered your basic question, so maybe I should have just said that I intended it as a vague reference.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:25 pm
GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm
For the split? :shock:
Ha!😋 No, just stay living where we loved, where my family is… and (in a good way) to also have more church options.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

For those of you who voted earlier today, I had a moderator add Josh's statement as #10. If you agree with that statement, you can mark accordingly and "submit" your vote again.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:05 pm In case anyone finds this funny, we would see the Rochester Mennonite women shopping, and could not for the life of us figure out why they had Doritos & Mt Dew in their carts.

We thought they had a better system or something. 😋
Oddly enough, back in eastern PA it is my understanding Eastern would frown upon freely buying sodas like that.

When I associated with ex-Eastern youth (who were now Pilgrim or Hope), they would gather to play volleyball and would be quite pleased to haul in a cooler full of different kinds of sodas.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Back in the day, Rochester seemed to have some of the most open minded Eastern people I’ve ever met… they also seemed to put up with some of the whackiest seekers I’ve ever heard of.
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Mmm… my family & friends might have been the wackies. 😋
0 x