Traveling

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Traveling

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

Hi folks,
Our family is taking a trip to NE Ohio in early August for a family reunion on my mother's side.

But we do plan to start out a week before and go to various places before we get there.

We plan to take the I 80 and want to make a short stop at Davenport, Iowa to see the American Pickers store. Then we plan to go to the Elkart, Lagrange County area to do a little touristy stuff in Shipshawanea, (is that how its spelled?) for a day or day and a half. Then we plan to head to Holmes County and spend a few days at my brother's house before heading northeast to Madison, Ohio. We might stop in at the Middlefield, Geauga County area on the way up there.

Part of my objective for this trip is to dig into the historical evidence of both my husband and my ancestors.I hope to take photos of grave markers and farms where they settled if I can find them. I would also like to get video footage of these areas and of stories from people we talk to.

My brother will be very helpful in Holmes County, but I was wondering if there is anyone on there from Indiana who knows about the local history and could give me some helpful suggestions.
I am also hoping to visit my dad's first cousin, Steve Yoder, who is from Nappenee, I think. He is in his nineties, but from what I have heard is in good health and is of sound mind.

I would also enjoy meeting others of you if you are in any of these areas as well.
Last edited by Mrs.Nisly on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Traveling

Post by temporal1 »

cue Indiana Jones .. aka, ohio jones. :D
have a wonderful trip. it sounds lovely. prepare for hot weather!
bring socks+sweaters. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One of my roommates is from Madison. I think there are a few of us here in NE Ohio who would love a MennoMeet!
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

I'm from NE Ohio. And Steve Yoder is my late grandpa's brother.
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Mrs.Nisly wrote:Then we plan to go to the Elkart, Lagrange County area to do a little touristy stuff in Shipshawanea, (is that how its spelled?)
Shipshewana, but abbreviating it "Ship" is perfectly fine. Consider including Menno-Hof in your touristy stuff, they have an interesting replica of a ship there.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

ohio jones wrote:
Mrs.Nisly wrote:Then we plan to go to the Elkart, Lagrange County area to do a little touristy stuff in Shipshawanea, (is that how its spelled?)
Shipshewana, but abbreviating it "Ship" is perfectly fine. Consider including Menno-Hof in your touristy stuff, they have an interesting replica of a ship there.
And a few other things. :)
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Mrs.Nisly wrote:Hi folks,
Our family is taking a trip to NE Ohio in early August for a family reunion on my mother's side.

But we do plan to start out a week before and go to various places before we get there.

We plan to take the I 80 and want to make a short stop at Davenport, Iowa to see the American Pickers store. Then we plan to go to the Elkart, Lagrange County area to do a little touristy stuff in Shipshawanea, (is that how its spelled?) for a day or day and a half. Then we plan to head to Holmes County and spend a few days at my brother's house before heading northeast to Madison, Ohio. We might stop in at the Middlefield, Geauga County area on the way up there.

Part of my objective for this trip is to dig into the historical evidence of both my husband and my ancestors.I hope to take photos of grave markers and farms where they settled if I can find them. I would also like to get video footage of these areas and of stories from people we talk to.

My brother will be very helpful in Holmes County, but I was wondering if there is anyone on there from Indiana who knows about the local history and could give me some helpful suggestions.
I am also hoping to visit my dad's first cousin, Steve Yoder, who is from Nappenee, I think. He is in his nineties, but from what I have heard is in good health and is of sound mind.

I would also enjoy meeting others of you if you are in any of these areas as well.
Prayers for traveling mercies :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

Traveling with a family - always a challenge. How many of you are there and how are you traveling? Any traveling tips for us greenhorn parents that you could share?
0 x
Mrs.Nisly

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

buckeyematt2 wrote:I'm from NE Ohio. And Steve Yoder is my late grandpa's brother.
Oh that is interesting! So my dad was first cousin to your grandpa too. That would make your mom or dad my 2nd cousin, and you 2nd cousin once removed. Is that how it is? I would say 2nd and a half but I think the corrrct way to say it is with the Once or twice removed thing, but I never remember that order. :)

So are you from Geauga County?

I don't know my relatives on my dad's side very well at all. I have names but that's about it.
0 x
Mrs.Nisly

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

Peregrino wrote:Traveling with a family - always a challenge. How many of you are there and how are you traveling? Any traveling tips for us greenhorn parents that you could share?
There are 5 of us in a minivan. Thankfully, my two sons are now teenagers and we can switch off drivers. My daughter is 8 years old and much easier to entertain. So I don't expect this trip to be terribly stressful. It was 4 years ago that we made the same trip, and even then it was much better than when they were smaller. We had so much fun on that trip.

Since we don't need one of the seats in the back we have either taken it out or put it down and put a large cooler there. Then we keep it stocked with drinks and lunch items so we don't have to spend so much eating out. We get points on our credit card which we save up for trips which we can use toward hotel expenses.

I also have packed one suit case with things in it for overnight for all of us that we take into a hotel so we don't have to lug everything in. This is if we are traveling somewhere that takes two days to get there.
0 x