Cuisines from around the world!

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Pick three (3) types of food you want to try.

French
7%
Italian
3%
Greek
10%
Spanish
14%
Lebanese
17%
Turkey
14%
Thai
10%
Indian
7%
Mexican
3%
Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc)
14%

Total votes: 29

Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Cuisines from around the world!

Post by Swiss Bro »

I guess I had all of those albeit only the Tex Mex variant of Mexican food (unless a Quesadilla in Pacific Beach, CA counts as authentic) and Emigrant Turkish (the ubiquitous Döner Kebab). All of these have great elements but Italian is very hard to beat.

Edit: where‘s German and Swiss?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Greek, Lebanese, and Turkish are the ones I haven't yet tried in their native context (unless the Istanbul airport counts) and would like to. Indian, Chinese, and Korean I also haven't, but am somewhat less interested based on what I've tasted here or in other non-native locations.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Swiss Bro wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:37 am

Edit: where‘s German and Swiss?
Limited to ten options. My quick google search yielded 12 and I had to narrow it down.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PeterG wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:36 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:21 pm The wife, being half Filipino says the only food there worth eating is chicken adobo….everything else is pretty awful.
Not a fan of Jollibee? I don't live near any locations, and don't recall seeing any in my modest travels, but I've heard enough good things about Jollibee that I'd like to try it sometime.
There’s one in NYC.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

While I have eaten authentic samples of all the cuisines listed, there are some not listed I will most certainly give a miss just because of the appearance as well as the odor. Lutefisk comes to mind. There are some dares that should be allowed to go unanswered. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I often wondered... what do people from outside the United States crave when they visit/move here?

Please don't tell me Shady Maple. Or McDonalds.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am I often wondered... what do people from outside the United States crave when they visit/move here?

Quesadilla
Oreo cookie shake from Jack In The Box
These huge pizza slices
Burgers
I never had a Chick fil-a but would give it a go
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Swiss Bro wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:30 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am I often wondered... what do people from outside the United States crave when they visit/move here?

Quesadilla
Oreo cookie shake from Jack In The Box
These huge pizza slices
Burgers
I never had a Chick fil-a but would give it a go
Popeyes chicken sandwich is better than Chick fil-a.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Guatemalans crave Pollo Campero which was a very popular spicy fried chicken chain in Guatemala when I was working there in the 1980s. People were so obsessed with it that they would bring big boxes of it home on the airlines on flights back to Miami and Los Angeles from Guatemala City. Eventually the Guatemalan expat community in the US grew so large that they eventually decided to open one north in Los Angeles. A decade later they are having such success that their are plans for 300+ new restaurants across the US: https://us.campero.com/our-story

It's not really that different from Chic fil-A or Popeyes and is a new entry into the chicken sandwich conversation. Except that the chicken has more of a Latino spice mix rather than Cajun and you can get Central American sides like rice and beans, fried plantains, fried yucca and flan for desert.

So worth a try if there is one in your area and you are into fried chicken or chicken sandwiches.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Ken wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:15 am

Guatemalans crave Pollo Campero which was a very popular spicy fried chicken chain in Guatemala when I was working there in the 1980s. People were so obsessed with it that they would bring big boxes of it home on the airlines on flights back to Miami and Los Angeles from Guatemala City. Eventually the Guatemalan expat community in the US grew so large that they eventually decided to open one north in Los Angeles. A decade later they are having such success that their are plans for 300+ new restaurants across the US: https://us.campero.com/our-story

It's not really that different from Chic fil-A or Popeyes and is a new entry into the chicken sandwich conversation. Except that the chicken has more of a Latino spice mix rather than Cajun and you can get Central American sides like rice and beans, fried plantains, fried yucca and flan for desert.

So worth a try if there is one in your area and you are into fried chicken or chicken sandwiches.
Whenever I've had to do layovers in San Salvador or Guatemala City on my way to the States, I've always noticed the large bags of Pollo Campero as people's carry-ons
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church