Cuisines from around the world!

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Pick three (3) types of food you want to try.

French
7%
Italian
3%
Greek
10%
Spanish
14%
Lebanese
17%
Turkey
14%
Thai
10%
Indian
7%
Mexican
3%
Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc)
14%

Total votes: 29

barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Cuisines from around the world!

Post by barnhart »

It's good chicken, but I still prefer Popeyes.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

For authentic ethnic cuisine, your state may have an annual international festival featuring many countries and their foods. I love to visit and chat with folks from different countries and try the ethnic dishes that I'm not familiar with.

One dish I especially like after having it in Indiana, is an Ethiopian large, round bread with dollops of different legumes. Curry is another favorite, and now I make it the Indian way myself. South African braai (similar to our barbecue, is very flavorful.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:06 am
Ken wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:15 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am I often wondered... what do people from outside the United States crave when they visit/move here?

Please don't tell me Shady Maple. Or McDonalds.
Guatemalans crave Pollo Campero which was a very popular spicy fried chicken chain in Guatemala when I was working there in the 1980s. People were so obsessed with it that they would bring big boxes of it home on the airlines on flights back to Miami and Los Angeles from Guatemala City. Eventually the Guatemalan expat community in the US grew so large that they eventually decided to open one north in Los Angeles. A decade later they are having such success that their are plans for 300+ new restaurants across the US: https://us.campero.com/our-story

It's not really that different from Chic fil-A or Popeyes and is a new entry into the chicken sandwich conversation. Except that the chicken has more of a Latino spice mix rather than Cajun and you can get Central American sides like rice and beans, fried plantains, fried yucca and flan for desert.

So worth a try if there is one in your area and you are into fried chicken or chicken sandwiches.
Whenever I've had to do layovers in San Salvador or Guatemala City on my way to the States, I've always noticed the large bags of Pollo Campero as people's carry-ons
Yep, they were getting so many complaints of stinking up aircraft with the smell of spicy fried chicken that they actually developed a plastic-sealed carry-on pack for customers taking their chicken back to the states that wouldn't leak the odors. Now with Pollo Campero spreading out across the US in all the areas where lots of Central American immigrants live that isn't so important anymore. There are probably a dozen outlets in LA alone and more on the way.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

When acutally in Guatemala, you can go enjoy authentic Guatemalan-Mexican food here:

0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Actually the McDonalds in Guatemala are vastly better than any McDonalds you find in the US

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr