How unusual are you ?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: How unusual are you ?

Post by Neto »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:29 pm I think one area that some people have is how they go about eating their food and they might not even realize it's unusual. I knew a guy when I was young that did not begin to chew his food until he had jam packed his mouth full of food first and his cheeks were bulging.

Here are a couple more I have heard of -

- dipping McDonald’s fries in vanilla soft ice cream
I didn't know for some time that my friends in college were counting how many times I chewed between bites. (They comments after they realized that I nearly always went past 32, the number that some people apparently talk about. I had never heard of it.)

I have never put fries in ice cream, but we (Plautdietsch) like the mix of sweet and salty. So we very often would have potato chips with ice cream. We also would normally have roulkoka (like Indian fried bread) as well when we ate watermelon.

A contrast with people of Swiss Amish background: while they have apple sauce and cheese at every meal ("You haven't eaten until you've had your cheese and apple sauce."), we always had bread. The 'English' people called us 'dough-balls' because chicken dumplings was so often eaten.

I may be 'more unusual that usual', because my sister once told me "You just always have to be different."
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I oppose abortion and homosexual activity but urge care and compassion rather than condemnation and legal prohibition. Neither side like this.

I'm unconvinced both by creationists and those who argue for godless evolution.

I have a graduate school education but have deliberately lived below the poverty line all my life--and still live abundantly.

I don't follow dress codes well.

I put cayenne pepper in my pumpkin pie and mint tea.

So unusual I really don't fit in anywhere.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 pm I oppose abortion and homosexual activity but urge care and compassion rather than condemnation and legal prohibition. Neither side like this.

I have a graduate school education but have deliberately lived below the poverty line all my life--and still live abundantly.

Interesting!

Question- why cayenne pepper- taste or benefit?
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Valerie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:51 pm I put cayenne pepper in my pumpkin pie and mint tea.
Question- why cayenne pepper- taste or benefit?
I like it! And I've grown lots of it, have a gallon of homemade homegrown powder, and it has health benefits.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 pm I oppose abortion and homosexual activity but urge care and compassion rather than condemnation and legal prohibition. Neither side like this.

I put salt on watermelon and pepper on cantaloupe.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:14 pmI have never put fries in ice cream, but we (Plautdietsch) like the mix of sweet and salty. So we very often would have potato chips with ice cream. We also would normally have roulkoka (like Indian fried bread) as well when we ate watermelon.

A contrast with people of Swiss Amish background: while they have apple sauce and cheese at every meal ("You haven't eaten until you've had your cheese and apple sauce."), we always had bread. The 'English' people called us 'dough-balls' because chicken dumplings was so often eaten.
I've often wondered if this might be a Chortitzer thing, since despite my wife's family being 100% Dutch Mennonite going all the way back to Flanders and Friesland, they don't eat this kind of stereotypical "Russian Mennonite" food, outside of an item or two like "pepper nuts" (Pfeffernusse)... but they do eat a variety of other stuff I'd never heard of before. One of them is "German pancakes" being what are actually crepes. Hungarians would call it "palacsinta".

Or perhaps for whatever reason Holdemans simply assimilated more when it came to foods, despite otherwise being one of the best-preserved Russian Mennonite groups, particularly in areas like clothing.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:43 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:29 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:02 am Wouldn't this be a fun question to ask those who know you to answer about you?
Yes I think that would be fun. Perhaps we should open the thread up now to include things you see in others (who not required) that you think are quirky/unusual habits.

I think one area that some people have is how they go about eating their food and they might not even realize it's unusual. I knew a guy when I was young that did not begin to chew his food until he had jam packed his mouth full of food first and his cheeks were bulging.

Here are a couple more I have heard of -

- dipping McDonald’s fries in vanilla soft ice cream
- making sure every different food on the plate doesn't touch each other
Oh you're speaking more of quirky
Did you ever see that show Monk?
No, I don't recall ever seeing the show Monk.

I have watched the show 'Everybody Loves Raymond' and Raymond's brother Robert has a quirky habit of while eating, he always touches his spoon to his chin before putting it in his mouth. He did this right into adult life.

In one show it was explained that when Raymond, Robert's younger brother, was a baby, his mother Marie would touch the spoon to his chin to get dripping food, and so Robert, feeling neglected, started doing it to 'self sooth' since he felt he was being replaced by Ray. If you watch the reruns you will see Robert doing this habit in many of the reruns.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:50 am
Neto wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:14 pmI have never put fries in ice cream, but we (Plautdietsch) like the mix of sweet and salty. So we very often would have potato chips with ice cream. We also would normally have roulkoka (like Indian fried bread) as well when we ate watermelon.

I've often wondered if this might be a Chortitzer thing, since despite my wife's family being 100% Dutch Mennonite going all the way back to Flanders and Friesland, they don't eat this kind of stereotypical "Russian Mennonite" food, outside of an item or two like "pepper nuts" (Pfeffernusse)... but they do eat a variety of other stuff I'd never heard of before. One of them is "German pancakes" being what are actually crepes. Hungarians would call it "palacsinta".
Interesting. We have always called them "Russian Pancakes". (That's also how they appear in the 'More with Less' cookbook.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

My father had an unusual habit of coating a slice of pie with brown sugar. Even butter pecan pie. And he never had a sugar health issue. Nor was over weight.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:30 pm This thread is to share things you do that you think are unusual and that others might think is quirky behaviour.
Maybe not quirky behavior, but when I'm trying to cut out processed foods, I can survive most of the day on hardboiled eggs, fried bacon and bananas. I call it the three-B diet. Drink plenty of water, too.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!