How unusual are you ?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

How unusual are you ?

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to share things you do that you think are unusual and that others might think is quirky behaviour.

I'll begin -

When I take clothes out of the drier I hang them on plastic coloured hangers and select the colour of hanger that best matches the clothing being hung up.

Perhaps I'm not alone in this but I suspect I might be.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: How unusual are you ?

Post by Ken »

I ride bike (well, ebike) 13 miles each way to work year-round, rain or shine, even though I don't have to.

That makes me pretty unusual around here. I meet a few other hard-core bike commuters every morning as we cross paths but we aren't very common.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

At the age of 68 + I have still never had a haircut in a barbershop or beauty salon. (Or gotten one anywhere where I needed to pay for it. People who have cut my hair: myself, my Mom, My wife, a friend's wife in Bible college, and I think another guy helped me trim the back once, after I did the rest myself.) Is that weird enough to qualify?

(I can't say I have never been IN a barbershop, because I was on a construction crew where we BUILT one. But I was never back in there after it was finished.
When I had a big afro, I would smile at the people inside barbershops as I walked by, while also walking with a bouncing step, to make it bounce.
In case someone wants to accuse me of "cultural appropriation", that's fine with me. It was a black friend who gave me the final encouragement to go ahead & let it be a fro. I never put anything in my hair to make it that way, never had a perm, or used any product to encourage it to be that way. It's the hair God gave me, and it's also very possible that there is some African heritage involved, although it would be way back, like when many Sephardic Jews fled the Iberian Peninsula and moved to the Spanish Netherlands, in the very late 1400's. I also didn't do it as a hair style, but as a way to "stand with" Black Americans.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Neto wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:46 pm At the age of 68 + I have still never had a haircut in a barbershop or beauty salon. (Or gotten one anywhere where I needed to pay for it. People who have cut my hair: myself, my Mom, My wife, a friend's wife in Bible college, and I think another guy helped me trim the back once, after I did the rest myself.) Is that weird enough to qualify?

Some would say it is weird, but I don't think so. Hubby can say the same. His Dad cut his hair and when we married his Dad showed me how to do it, and I have been doing it all our married life. I will admit that there were times I made a few mistakes, but haircut mistakes are never permanent.

Some would find the fact we let our cat sleep with us, as unusual.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Grace wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:59 pm
Neto wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:46 pm At the age of 68 + I have still never had a haircut in a barbershop or beauty salon. (Or gotten one anywhere where I needed to pay for it. People who have cut my hair: myself, my Mom, My wife, a friend's wife in Bible college, and I think another guy helped me trim the back once, after I did the rest myself.) Is that weird enough to qualify?

Some would say it is weird, but I don't think so. Hubby can say the same. His Dad cut his hair and when we married his Dad showed me how to do it, and I have been doing it all our married life. I will admit that there were times I made a few mistakes, but haircut mistakes are never permanent.

Some would find the fact we let our cat sleep with us, as unusual.
Oh, I forgot to include my sister-in-law. She cut it for me one time as well. (My Mom & my wife are the only ones who have cut my hair more than one time. Except for me, I guess I have cut it a few times.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I post on Mennonet.
2 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

RZehr wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:09 am I post on Mennonet.
LOL....thanks for the chuckle this morning.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wouldn't this be a fun question to ask those who know you to answer about you?

I work "in the world" & feel pretty peculiar to people in some ways, daily- in perspective especially. I know I'm viewed as peculiar for a variety of reasons they've commented but I think we can expect that-i do try to be used of the Lord at work,- (appearance wise I'm uncommon with long hair, usually up & covered & long skirts instead of pants- people would never guess how into fashion I was most of my life)

I find I'm uncommon in that I'm willing to "down the hatch" things to help health that I cannot convince others to do,. People won't because they "don't like it". Lately though 2 people have asked me what I do to "never get sick" and a much younger customer said "Val You've changed my life" she's turned over a new leaf,- I give God glory for natural things he made to help certain things in health. (That being said I am overweight,!!)

Amongst fellow brothers & sisters in the Lord I feel uncommon in the variety of friends from various Christian branches that are vastly different from each other- from former Amish to shortly about to become OO Amish to Orthodox priests & parishioners to pentecostal to you name it I love them all. I asked my husband - he said "your devotion to God" which I feel lukewarm compared to many-

I don't like talking "about" myself so this was uncomfortable but kinda worth pondering,-

Grace one of our cats will jump on the bed to sleep too, so sweet right?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:02 am Wouldn't this be a fun question to ask those who know you to answer about you?
Yes I think that would be fun. Perhaps we should open the thread up now to include things you see in others (who not required) that you think are quirky/unusual habits.

I think one area that some people have is how they go about eating their food and they might not even realize it's unusual. I knew a guy when I was young that did not begin to chew his food until he had jam packed his mouth full of food first and his cheeks were bulging.

Here are a couple more I have heard of -

- dipping McDonald’s fries in vanilla soft ice cream
- making sure every different food on the plate doesn't touch each other
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:29 pm
Valerie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:02 am Wouldn't this be a fun question to ask those who know you to answer about you?
Yes I think that would be fun. Perhaps we should open the thread up now to include things you see in others (who not required) that you think are quirky/unusual habits.

I think one area that some people have is how they go about eating their food and they might not even realize it's unusual. I knew a guy when I was young that did not begin to chew his food until he had jam packed his mouth full of food first and his cheeks were bulging.

Here are a couple more I have heard of -

- dipping McDonald’s fries in vanilla soft ice cream
- making sure every different food on the plate doesn't touch each other
Oh you're speaking more of quirky
Did you ever see that show Monk?
1 x