Coldest temps you have ever experienced?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Coldest temps you have ever experienced?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm not well traveled, so my answer will pale in comparison to most here.

Give us the coldest straight temperature you've ever experienced, and the coldest wind chill factor you've experienced. In Fahrenheit, please.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Coldest temps you have ever experienced?

Post by Ernie »

Chambersburg, PA around 1992. -32 -not sure what the wind chill was
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Northern Ontario 1996/96, -50 F. It may have been colder but all red went down into the bulb of the thermometer and -50 was the lowest reading.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I remember back in the 90's of having a few blizzards and realy cold temps, but I was too young to care about statistics at the time.

I think we had a -5 and windchills like -20 in the past few years. That'll put a car battery to the test, for sure :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I don't know the coldest I've ever been in, but I very much remember when in New Orleans as an 9 year old waking up at 2 in the morning freezing in bed. That was likely somewhere in the 40s or colder in the house. We were fairly poor and the house had openings to the outside.
The temp that night I remember got down to 18F.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Surprisingly despite living in the northern U.S. since 1989 and living in Montréal for a year, the coldest I've ever experienced was -20 F. (Maybe a few degrees below that.) That's not the threshold at which cars don't start or run properly, so I have zero experience with that.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I think it was -28°F here in northern Illinois, with a windchill of about -40°(F or C). Might have had colder in college in Troy, NY.

Last week we had -16°F here, with a windchill of about -40°(F or C).
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

-51˚F in Montana. I did not bother check the wind chill because there is a point of madness in which I stay inside and do not bother to go out.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:23 am Chambersburg, PA around 1992. -32 -not sure what the wind chill was
I81 looked like a parking lot. The northbound trucks did not have enough additives in their fuel, the fuel jelled and the trucks stopped in the middle of the road.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

-40 *F was not unusual at all in Minnesota when I was there for Bible college. (I was in Omaha, Nebraska for the winter of 74-75, then in Minnesota for the next three winters, then winter of 78 just till school was out for the Fall semester, my final one.) There was one time when the wind chill was around - 65, and they said not to go out unless you absolutely had to. I didn't. But in general, -40 didn't feel as cold as -10 or so did in north-east Oklahoma (my home area), where the humidity was always higher.

Most people wouldn't think we would get temperatures like this in Oklahoma, but -15 was not unusual for the Enid area, where my grandparents lived. That is just outside the area generally considered the High Plains, and it gets even colder as you move farther west. Brutally cold, with strong winds that cut right through you. I imagine that western Canada is the same.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.