Coming to a city near me

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Coming to a city near me

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JimFoxvog wrote:
Valerie wrote:Saw a post by a member of MN- who seems discouraged with the lack of faith that was so prevalent in the times of the early Church- healings-etc-(miracles)
So others were chiming in- discouraged too, that what appears to be, teachings against this kind of faith- seems they are dissatisfied with the teachings and discouragement of their Anabaptist denominations and wondering why, they are taught against healings, miracles, etc being for today-

This article, regarding the man responsible for these "The Call" revivals going around America- well they may draw some that are hungering for that kind of power and faith which is seemingly lacking in today's average church-

I think that if this is true, reading this article- maybe should be considered because it is going to draw many, it is drawing many- and one needs to discern this:

http://www.politicalresearch.org/2013/0 ... 3RzXC.dpbs
I wonder why the renewing of New Testament spiritual power is so often connected with right wing politics?
Reconstructionism, plain and simple.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

I'm all for claiming the miracle of many new births. That's something we know God is in favor of.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
Valerie wrote:Saw a post by a member of MN- who seems discouraged with the lack of faith that was so prevalent in the times of the early Church- healings-etc-(miracles)
So others were chiming in- discouraged too, that what appears to be, teachings against this kind of faith- seems they are dissatisfied with the teachings and discouragement of their Anabaptist denominations and wondering why, they are taught against healings, miracles, etc being for today-

This article, regarding the man responsible for these "The Call" revivals going around America- well they may draw some that are hungering for that kind of power and faith which is seemingly lacking in today's average church-

I think that if this is true, reading this article- maybe should be considered because it is going to draw many, it is drawing many- and one needs to discern this:

http://www.politicalresearch.org/2013/0 ... 3RzXC.dpbs
I wonder why the renewing of New Testament spiritual power is so often connected with right wing politics?
Reconstructionism, plain and simple.

J.M.
Buckeye Matt, to answer your question- it is because right wing voters, many times, are grievous over what's become 'legal' which these things grieve the heart of God, and also, give people the (wrong) impression/understanding, that if something is 'legal' it must not be wrong.

J.M. when you state "Reconstuctionism" - what are you conveying in this situation? That of polictics, or that of the Church?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It's legal not to love your enemies.

It's also wrong not to, according to Jesus.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:It's legal not to love your enemies.

It's also wrong not to, according to Jesus.
Again (and again and again) most Christians interpret Jesus words as applying to 'personal' enemies and having nothing to do with taking up the sword against evil- or protecting one's nation against evil.

But ALL Christians that know Christ, would not be for killing unborn, or condoning homosexual marriage- these passages were never 'misinterpreted' in the past- all denominations agree (until lately)
Remember during the Reformation- not all people agreed with Anabaptist 'interpretation' on whether a Christian can serve in military- early Christian writings convey that Christians DID serve- John the Baptist told soldiers what they should do (and he didn't tell them to 'leave' the service) and Jesus used the faith of a centurial soldier as an example (good example) without criticizing his profession.

So I'm just saying, just because Christians believe in serving their country is not seeing it the way Anabaptists interpret it and would not apply the same passages to include serving one's country- too much historical evidence that Christians did serve.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Huh? I never brought war into this.

I'm just saying a nation's laws can't enforce morality - you can't make a law enforcing most of what Jesus told us to do.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Huh? I never brought war into this.

I'm just saying a nation's laws can't enforce morality - you can't make a law enforcing most of what Jesus told us to do.
Then what do you believe the purpose of the teaching of Romans 13 is about?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:

It's about the believer's need to be obedient to state law unless they must "obey God rather than men". I believe Romans 13 teaches us we shouldn't run red lights, drive 25 MPH over the limit, and not file false tax returns.

I don't think it means we should agree to pick up guns and shoot people just because some government official tells us to.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:

It's about the believer's need to be obedient to state law unless they must "obey God rather than men". I believe Romans 13 teaches us we shouldn't run red lights, drive 25 MPH over the limit, and not file false tax returns.

I don't think it means we should agree to pick up guns and shoot people just because some government official tells us to.
Yet it also states: "Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God's minsiter to you for goo. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil".

So my understanding is broader on what falls under 'evil' which would include immorality- and therefore I do believe when God's intention for government was to control 'all' evil- not just some evil. But when laws change to embrace that which God calls evil, and they call evil 'good' then that is not God's will.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:Yet it also states: "Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God's minsiter to you for goo. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil".

So my understanding is broader on what falls under 'evil' which would include immorality- and therefore I do believe when God's intention for government was to control 'all' evil- not just some evil. But when laws change to embrace that which God calls evil, and they call evil 'good' then that is not God's will.
Romans 13 is an observation that nearly all of what government does is basic law and order - don't steal, don't beat your wife, etc., and in my experience this is basically almost all of what police and the courts deal with.

In our country and many others, laws cover things like not assaulting people, stealing, fraud, and so forth, and that's pretty much what government does. Romans 13 teaches to submit under such laws.

It amazes me how much energy Christians expend on finding ways to not comply with Romans 13 - for example, citing it to say they don't need to obey building codes because our government is "immoral". Utterly ridiculous. Or printing false claims on an herbal remedy and then refusing to comply with the state that demands to remove those health claims.
0 x