Turbo Roundabout?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Turbo Roundabout?

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:19 pm Roundabouts can be designed for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists as well as cars. The Dutch know how to do it:

This looks better than what I was attempting to draw up myself, last night. The completely separate outer ring, designated for bicycles (and buggies, in the case here), with motorized traffic obliged to yield to anyone in those lanes. But that appears to be in a sort of downtown area, and I didn't see many heavy vehicles, semis, or tractors, all of which we have a lot of here, at this confluence of traffic. Also, the County Road that is just around a quarter of a mile away, and also a very busy route.

I don't know if this map will show correctly, because I started the search with just "Berlin,OH", then navigated out OH 39 & US 62 to the area I'm talking about. But I'll give it a try, and see if it works. (Judging from the Preview, it looks like it will display correctly.)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Berli ... ?entry=ttu

Semis travel all of these different routes, in all directions.

Edit: One thing that would help with the situation here, is that that section of US 62 is classified as a "National Byway", and so the highway department owns a considerable space on either side of the roadway.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

If this is the intersection you are talking about, doesn't look like you have much room for a roundabout without tearing out buildings. The one drawback is that they do take space

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VPn9CPs6EHM3piYR8

*Hint, if you want to share a link to a specific google map display that you have zoomed in and arranged how you want, click the "share" button on the google map menu and then copy the link.

Your other issue is going to be that those are two state highways which means that the state DOT will be in charge of intersection design and not your local town as would be the case if it was any other side street in town. That likely means that they will have fairly rigid design and engineering standards for state highway intersections and aren't going to be creative. That is most definitely the case in this part of the country. Our local town does what it wants on its own streets but the state DOT is in charge of design on state highways, including the one that passes right through town.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:13 pm If this is the intersection you are talking about, doesn't look like you have much room for a roundabout without tearing out buildings. The one drawback is that they do take space

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VPn9CPs6EHM3piYR8

*Hint, if you want to share a link to a specific google map display that you have zoomed in and arranged how you want, click the "share" button on the google map menu and then copy the link.

Your other issue is going to be that those are two state highways which means that the state DOT will be in charge of intersection design and not your local town as would be the case if it was any other side street in town. That likely means that they will have fairly rigid design and engineering standards for state highway intersections and aren't going to be creative. That is most definitely the case in this part of the country. Our local town does what it wants on its own streets but the state DOT is in charge of design on state highways, including the one that passes right through town.
No, that one has already been totally rebuilt, doing about all they could with the space available. (They also took the front yards of all of the places through town, and had already taken out all of the large trees through town.) The link I posted still works for me, but maybe that's because I am looking on the same computer on which I created the link. I will try what you suggest.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qtAzhEvfD8gtmvqW6

(To get there from the center of Berlin, you have to navigate down the joint US 62 & OH 39 out of town, till the CR 201 & the OH 557 intersections. Both of these roads end in the area where they want to put in a round-about, CR 201 coming from basically the North, and OH 557 coming up from the South.)

[EDIT: Both my link, and the one I created using your instructions, both show the same view - for me.]
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.