The Impact of Human Breath on Global Warming???!!!

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

The Impact of Human Breath on Global Warming???!!!

Post by MaxPC »

As the grandchildren would say: “Oh Puhleeeeeeeze!” This may well be your laugh for the day.
I do not know whether to laugh or to write a letter to PLOS. A study was conducted to determine the impact of human breath on global warming. I hope they do not seek a ban on Mexican food. I like Mexican food.

From the Abstract
Exhaled human breath can contain small, elevated concentrations of methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O), both of which contribute to global warming. These emissions from humans are not well understood and are rarely quantified in global greenhouse gas inventories. This study investigated emissions of CH4 and N2O in human breath from 104 volunteers in the UK population, to better understand what drives these emissions and to quantify national-scale estimates.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: The Impact of Human Breath on Global Warming???!!!

Post by Neto »

Maybe it's worse in the UK..... :hug:
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Every living cell in every plant and animal on the planet engages in cellular respiration where glucose and other carbohydrates are broken down with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide and water. And other greenhouse gases like methane are also byproducts of cellular metabolism.

For millions of years this was all in balance with photosynthesis which converted carbon dioxide back to oxygen. Until the industrial revolution when humans started extracting unfathomable amounts of carbon from the earth in the form of coal, oil, and natural gas and burning it to produce carbon dioxide. And we began to live lives that were egregiously wasteful and destructive of the only home that was given us. And for which we are only temporary caretakers.

Genesis 2:15: Humans are commanded to care for God’s creation.

Leviticus 25:1-7: The land itself must be given a rest and not abused.

Deuteronomy 10:14: All of heaven and earth belong to the Lord.

Psalm 24:1-2: All the earth is the Lord’s.

Daniel 3:56-82: Creation proclaims the glory of God.

Matthew 6:25-34 : God loves and cares for all of creation.

Romans 1:20: Creation reveals the nature of God.

1 Corinthians 10:26: Creation and all created things are inherently good because they are of the Lord.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:15 am Maybe it's worse in the UK..... :hug:
:lol: I would not doubt it with curry as the cause.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:42 pm Genesis 2:15: Humans are commanded to care for God’s creation.

1 Corinthians 10:26: Creation and all created things are inherently good because they are of the Lord.
Catholic Social Teaching - copy and paste

I think we have an obligation to be good caretakers of the earth and its resources. I find the idea of calling the earth "God's Creation," and saying it proclaims God's glory, a bit odd coming from someone who believes that the best explanation available for the origin of the earth is that it is the result of a "big bang" billions of years ago, and that the multitude of varieties of plants and animals on the earth is simply the result of mutations and natural selection.
3 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:24 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:42 pm Genesis 2:15: Humans are commanded to care for God’s creation.

Catholic Social Teaching - copy and paste

I think we have an obligation to be good caretakers of the earth and its resources. I find the idea of calling the earth "God's Creation," and saying it proclaims God's glory, a bit odd coming from someone who believes that the best explanation available for the origin of the earth is that it is the result of a "big bang" billions of years ago, and that the multitude of varieties of plants and animals on the earth is simply the result of mutations and natural selection.
Oh I think we are living in a world and universe of God’s creation. I just don’t think the Hebrew scribes who consolidated and compiled Genesis and the other books of the Pentateuch probably around 600 BC were trying to capture a scientifically correct narrative. They were piecing together older oral and written texts that are sometimes inconsistent. They were writing down the truths as they understood them.

And yes, I agree with Catholic social teaching here. And yes I disagree with the willful blindness of so many Christians who think we can just hand-wave away the destruction we are wreaking on this planet. And the downside of creating a healthier and more sustainable planet is what? That we might have to live less greedy and wasteful lives? What do you think Jesus say about that outcome? Would he approve or disapprove?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr