Bicycle tubes & tires - Quality?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Bicycle tubes & tires - Quality?

Post by Neto »

My old 10 speed still has one of the original tubes, and it was new in 1974. I recently bought a used 21 speed, because the 10 speed is a racing bike, and I wanted something a bit more fitting for a guy in his 60's. Anyway, the bike I bought has a hole in the tube for the front tire. It is really close to the stem, so I doubt I can patch it. Also, it seems that the rubber they use in tubes now-a-days is not the same as the old stuff, and it doesn't take a patch like the old ones did. (We were always parching our tubes, because our tires were often completely bald, and thin.) Everything I see now says "Made in China" on it, and so far I'm not impressed. (The Brazilian tubes weren't high quality, either.)

Anyway, does anyone here know where you can get good quality tubes? (The tire size is 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Bicycle tubes & tires - Quality?

Post by Bootstrap »

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:My old 10 speed still has one of the original tubes, and it was new in 1974. I recently bought a used 21 speed, because the 10 speed is a racing bike, and I wanted something a bit more fitting for a guy in his 60's. Anyway, the bike I bought has a hole in the tube for the front tire. It is really close to the stem, so I doubt I can patch it. Also, it seems that the rubber they use in tubes now-a-days is not the same as the old stuff, and it doesn't take a patch like the old ones did. (We were always parching our tubes, because our tires were often completely bald, and thin.) Everything I see now says "Made in China" on it, and so far I'm not impressed. (The Brazilian tubes weren't high quality, either.)

Anyway, does anyone here know where you can get good quality tubes? (The tire size is 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8.)
My second son (who is an avid cyclist and participates in cross-state rides) did some research and apparently all tubes ultimately come from just a few sources and are marketed under different brand names. He gets the best results by buying his tubes from the local shop that specializes in bikes or a reliable online source for bicycle maintenance. He never buys them from Walmart, KMart, Target or other big box source.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Thanks Boot & Max. I should have also said that it uses the schraeder type valve stem. Anyway, I had a service call early this afternoon near an area Amish bike shop, so I drove on over there & just bought what he had. Made in China. I guess we'll see, but I doubt if I'll be able to compare it to the one from my Flandria 10 speed, because in another 43 years I would be 104!
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.