School project

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
COVIDpsychresearch
Affiliation: Catholic

Re: School project

Post by COVIDpsychresearch »

Ken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:54 pm Interesting topic. I wish you success.

I'm not one who fell in with any alternative medical approaches to COVID and so I'm probably not who you are looking to interview.

Also it would be great if you were willing to come back and post your conclusions at the end of this project. I'm sure many here would be interested.
Thank you for the support!
0 x
COVIDpsychresearch

Soloist wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:30 pm The majority of the people in Mennonet do not represent the conservative wing of Mennonites.
So keep that in mind.
There are a few pages on here that will give you a good understanding of the basics between the different groups of Mennonites if you are interested.
I will have to look up the link when I get home, I thought it was pinned for some reason.
I will try to get a response to you this weekend or sooner.
Good to know! I will do some research on it and explore some of the other posts more in-depth. In my experience, there is a large spectrum of experiences in denominations, so I was casting a wide net.
0 x
COVIDpsychresearch

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:21 pm
COVIDpsychresearch wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:49 pm Hello!

I know I am a newer member and have not been very active since joining over the summer. I finally ironed out some details of my project with my school's IRB, so I am putting this out there again.

I am a graduate psychology student at a Christian University. For my degree, I decided to do a research project looking at the experiences of Christians who believe or engage with alternative stories about the COVID-19 vaccines that counter mainstream reporting. It is a topic that is close to me, as I have seen how the topic has created division within my family and the global church. At the height of the pandemic, there was so much animosity from both sides, which does not represent the love of God. In particular, I am interested in how it impacts different denominations that I am not familiar with, such as Mennonites and Anabaptists. I have a lot of respect for the beliefs and traditions associated with your faith tradition.

Here are some examples of the interview questions:

1. When did you start digging deeper into alternative vaccine stories?
2.What types of emotions do feel when thinking about the alternative stories?
3. What do you find helpful in growing closer to God and others? Where do you see God working during the past two years globally?
4. As a Christian, I know you understand that God has everything in his hands. Also, you know that God has a plan, etc. In Matthew 6:26-34, recounts the parable about “the birds of the air” who trust in their Heavenly father to provide for them. What does it mean to trustfully wait on the Lord in these stories? What does it mean amidst the events happening in the world today with the pandemic?

Although it is not much, I am able to offer $5 if you would like to be a participant in my project. Being a graduate student does not always pay well!

If you are interested, please private message me. If you have any questions, let me know!

Merry Christmas!
How in the would are you ever going to get informed consent for this? You do realize you will need to insure that everyone that you recruit is indeed consentable.
Consent would involve me reviewing the consent form with the person before I would interview or send them any surveys. If they do not understand the consent form, or do not want to participate, then they would be free to do so! If people started the interview and then wanted to revoke their consent, then their information would be deleted on my end. For people who would go through with it, all personal and identifying information would be removed to ensure confidentiality from others.
0 x
COVIDpsychresearch

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:34 pm I read right from the CDC and etc. Researched what mRNA is and what it does from the source. No conspiracy theories but told people the scientists were using different measuring metrics and misleading people. No matter how gently I shared CDC’s own information or not I was verbally attacked by pro vaccination people and even not vaccinated people for being a conspiracy theorists. People just like falsely accusing someone who tries to dig into things. Good luck finding much good information- I’d say here on Mennonet you have liberal mindsets even with those that think they are not and probably won’t get good responses that represent the conservative end of Mennonites.
The questions I would like to discuss with people is not inherently a conservative issue. I use "alternative stories that challenge mainstream reporting" since it is broad and encompasses a lot of experiences not confined to one side of the political aisle. I am also not doing this to say who is right or wrong on these issues but rather to learn about experiences. In fact, your experience is something that I would be interested in learning more about, as you shared beliefs that caused others to antagonize you while trying to engage in a good faith discussion.
0 x
COVIDpsychresearch

Ken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:28 pm

I know I am a newer member and have not been very active since joining over the summer. I finally ironed out some details of my project with my school's IRB, so I am putting this out there again.

I am a graduate psychology student at a Christian University. For my degree, I decided to do a research project looking at the experiences of Christians who believe or engage with alternative stories about the COVID-19 vaccines that counter mainstream reporting. It is a topic that is close to me, as I have seen how the topic has created division within my family and the global church. At the height of the pandemic, there was so much animosity from both sides, which does not represent the love of God. In particular, I am interested in how it impacts different denominations that I am not familiar with, such as Mennonites and Anabaptists. I have a lot of respect for the beliefs and traditions associated with your faith tradition.

3. What do you find helpful in growing closer to God and others? Where do you see God working during the past two years globally?
4. As a Christian, I know you understand that God has everything in his hands. Also, you know that God has a plan, etc. In Matthew 6:26-34, recounts the parable about “the birds of the air” who trust in their Heavenly father to provide for them. What does it mean to trustfully wait on the Lord in these stories? What does it mean amidst the events happening in the world today with the pandemic?

Although it is not much, I am able to offer $5 if you would like to be a participant in my project. Being a graduate student does not always pay well!

If you are interested, please private message me. If you have any questions, let me know!

Merry Christmas!

What are the issues related to consent? He is simply polling opinions and beliefs, not asking for the private medical records of others.
How in the would are you ever going to get informed consent for this? You do realize you will need to insure that everyone that you recruit is indeed consentable.
What are the issues related to consent?

Isn't he just asking for the opinions and beliefs of the person being interviewed. Like any other opinion poll.

He's not asking to disclose the private medical records of others, or test medications on people without their informed consent.
True I would not disclose private medical records, nor ask about it unless the participant brings it up. All identifying information would then be removed after the interview and surveys.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:56 pmIn a nutshell, FEAR OF LITIGATION has greatly diminished if not ruined, hopes for western society.
In effort to prevent bruises, greatness, great breakthroughs, are stymied. A person in need will, at best, receive a fraction of an answer.
One would *hope* that a survey of Conservative Mennonite types would not generate fear of litigation.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ken wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:19 pm
temporal1 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:56 pmIn a nutshell, FEAR OF LITIGATION has greatly diminished if not ruined, hopes for western society.
In effort to prevent bruises, greatness, great breakthroughs, are stymied. A person in need will, at best, receive a fraction of an answer.
One would *hope* that a survey of Conservative Mennonite types would not generate fear of litigation.
hope as you like.
my comment was response to something i believed important in J.M.’s response, nothing more.
COVIDpsychresearch doesn’t appear distracted.

i disclosed i’m not conservative Mennonite, her stated group of interest. are you afraid of something?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP:
COVIDpsychresearch:
.. In particular, I am interested in how it impacts different denominations that I am not familiar with, such as Mennonites and Anabaptists. I have a lot of respect for the beliefs and traditions associated with your faith tradition. ..

COVIDpsychresearch,
Welcome to MN. :D

This forum is a Heinz57 group of mostly Christians, an occasional atheist, etc.
If you want response in your topic to be limited to a particular group, for instance, practicing conservative Anabaptists, or other,
it’s ok to make that request. (Be aware, you may or may not receive compliance, it’s ok to try.) Admin+mods are available+helpful.

Best wishes as you go forward. :wave:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

COVIDpsychresearch wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:51 pm

Merry Christmas!
Consent would involve me reviewing the consent form with the person before I would interview or send them any surveys. If they do not understand the consent form, or do not want to participate, then they would be free to do so! If people started the interview and then wanted to revoke their consent, then their information would be deleted on my end. For people who would go through with it, all personal and identifying information would be removed to ensure confidentiality from others.
So, as I expected you can only do this in person?
0 x
:hug:
COVIDpsychresearch

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:14 am
COVIDpsychresearch wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:51 pm
So, as I expected you can only do this in person?
It would be done via Zoom, which through my university account, is secure and confidential. To obtain consent, they would agree to type their name on the form to indicate they understood. In the interview, they would also provide verbal assent to engaging in it. If you have other questions, let me know! My university's IRB approved the project and the consent process, indicating that it meets their standards of ethics to conduct research.
0 x