School project

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
COVIDpsychresearch
Affiliation: Catholic

School project

Post by COVIDpsychresearch »

Hello!

I know I am a newer member and have not been very active since joining over the summer. I finally ironed out some details of my project with my school's IRB, so I am putting this out there again.

I am a graduate psychology student at a Christian University. For my degree, I decided to do a research project looking at the experiences of Christians who believe or engage with alternative stories about the COVID-19 vaccines that counter mainstream reporting. It is a topic that is close to me, as I have seen how the topic has created division within my family and the global church. At the height of the pandemic, there was so much animosity from both sides, which does not represent the love of God. In particular, I am interested in how it impacts different denominations that I am not familiar with, such as Mennonites and Anabaptists. I have a lot of respect for the beliefs and traditions associated with your faith tradition.

Here are some examples of the interview questions:

1. When did you start digging deeper into alternative vaccine stories?
2.What types of emotions do feel when thinking about the alternative stories?
3. What do you find helpful in growing closer to God and others? Where do you see God working during the past two years globally?
4. As a Christian, I know you understand that God has everything in his hands. Also, you know that God has a plan, etc. In Matthew 6:26-34, recounts the parable about “the birds of the air” who trust in their Heavenly father to provide for them. What does it mean to trustfully wait on the Lord in these stories? What does it mean amidst the events happening in the world today with the pandemic?

Although it is not much, I am able to offer $5 if you would like to be a participant in my project. Being a graduate student does not always pay well!

If you are interested, please private message me. If you have any questions, let me know!

Merry Christmas!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: School project

Post by Ken »

Interesting topic. I wish you success.

I'm not one who fell in with any alternative medical approaches to COVID and so I'm probably not who you are looking to interview.

Also it would be great if you were willing to come back and post your conclusions at the end of this project. I'm sure many here would be interested.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Interesting project. I didn't embrace any alternative theories and am vaccinated as is the rest of my Mennonite family. Covid wasn't a polarizing topic in my family.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

The majority of the people in Mennonet do not represent the conservative wing of Mennonites.
So keep that in mind.
There are a few pages on here that will give you a good understanding of the basics between the different groups of Mennonites if you are interested.
I will have to look up the link when I get home, I thought it was pinned for some reason.
I will try to get a response to you this weekend or sooner.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

I read right from the CDC and etc. Researched what mRNA is and what it does from the source. No conspiracy theories but told people the scientists were using different measuring metrics and misleading people. No matter how gently I shared CDC’s own information or not I was verbally attacked by pro vaccination people and even not vaccinated people for being a conspiracy theorists. People just like falsely accusing someone who tries to dig into things. Good luck finding much good information- I’d say here on Mennonet you have liberal mindsets even with those that think they are not and probably won’t get good responses that represent the conservative end of Mennonites.
1 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

https://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/up ... -01-11.pdf

Take a look at that for the basics. Not knowing exactly how you plan on your work, it might be useful to ask for affiliation as well to group answers accordingly.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

COVIDpsychresearch wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:49 pm Hello!

I know I am a newer member and have not been very active since joining over the summer. I finally ironed out some details of my project with my school's IRB, so I am putting this out there again.

I am a graduate psychology student at a Christian University. For my degree, I decided to do a research project looking at the experiences of Christians who believe or engage with alternative stories about the COVID-19 vaccines that counter mainstream reporting. It is a topic that is close to me, as I have seen how the topic has created division within my family and the global church. At the height of the pandemic, there was so much animosity from both sides, which does not represent the love of God. In particular, I am interested in how it impacts different denominations that I am not familiar with, such as Mennonites and Anabaptists. I have a lot of respect for the beliefs and traditions associated with your faith tradition.

3. What do you find helpful in growing closer to God and others? Where do you see God working during the past two years globally?
4. As a Christian, I know you understand that God has everything in his hands. Also, you know that God has a plan, etc. In Matthew 6:26-34, recounts the parable about “the birds of the air” who trust in their Heavenly father to provide for them. What does it mean to trustfully wait on the Lord in these stories? What does it mean amidst the events happening in the world today with the pandemic?

Although it is not much, I am able to offer $5 if you would like to be a participant in my project. Being a graduate student does not always pay well!

If you are interested, please private message me. If you have any questions, let me know!

Merry Christmas!
How in the would are you ever going to get informed consent for this? You do realize you will need to insure that everyone that you recruit is indeed consentable.
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:21 pm

Merry Christmas!

What are the issues related to consent? He is simply polling opinions and beliefs, not asking for the private medical records of others.
How in the would are you ever going to get informed consent for this? You do realize you will need to insure that everyone that you recruit is indeed consentable.
What are the issues related to consent?

Isn't he just asking for the opinions and beliefs of the person being interviewed. Like any other opinion poll.

He's not asking to disclose the private medical records of others, or test medications on people without their informed consent.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:28 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:21 pm

Merry Christmas!

What are the issues related to consent? He is simply polling opinions and beliefs, not asking for the private medical records of others.
What are the issues related to consent?

Isn't he just asking for the opinions and beliefs of the person being interviewed. Like any other opinion poll.

He's not asking to disclose the private medical records of others, or test medications on people without their informed consent.
""What types of emotions do feel when thinking about the alternative stories?""

Anytime you ask questions that touch on mental health, IRB approval is needed. He is asking a mental health related questions, hence it will need BOTH IRB approval, and he will have to take measures that will insure his subjects are consentable. A minor, for instance, would not be consentable. I will point out that he is a grad. student in behavioral health.

Washinton U. in St. Louis got sued, successfully , when a Social Science researcher asked questions of this nature, and the way his paper was presented caused one of the subjects mental distress. IRBs are scared of their shadows, and very risk adverse. 30 years ago, this would not have been the case. Now it is.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

J.M.:
Anytime you ask questions that touch on mental health, IRB approval is needed. He is asking a mental health related questions, hence it will need BOTH IRB approval, and he will have to take measures that will insure his subjects are consentable . . .

. . . IRBs are scared of their shadows, and very risk adverse.
30 years ago, this would not have been the case. . . .
In a nutshell, FEAR OF LITIGATION has greatly diminished if not ruined, hopes for western society.
In effort to prevent bruises, greatness, great breakthroughs, are stymied. A person in need will, at best, receive a fraction of an answer.

i experienced a bit of this, let’s say, 30-ish years ago, when i was in need, and happened to find myself with an older, experienced professional, who seemed so self-secure in his own life, that he actually spoke openly+directly with me about the questions i had, without going through contortions of legal self-preservation. i guessed his office and debts had been paid. He seemed only focused on helping those like me at hand, hoping for his experience, education, wisdom.

It was a great experience.
i don’t expect to ever have a similar experience, worse, i don’t foresee anything like it ahead for my family.

Like the 3 major university professors failing miserably under simple examination, over-scripted, over-lawyered. The hope of excellence is off the table. For fear of litigation. viewtopic.php?t=6301

i’m not Mennonite. or Catholic.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN