Vocal Fry / Creaky Voice

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Vocal Fry / Creaky Voice

Post by temporal1 »

After viewing this annoying NYT’s video, i noticed a reference to “VOCAL FRY” in Comments.
P.14 RvW / viewtopic.php?t=5042&start=130

NYT Podcasts / “Ending Roe Was Supposed to Reduce Abortions. It Didn’t.” / 22min
Description:
Margot Sanger-Katz,
who writes about health care for The Upshot, explains why the results are not what anyone had expected.
^^interesting maiden? name there. Sanger. :shock:
Found in Comments:
@Shapeguydude WROTE: / 6 days ago
Vocal fry. It's pretty tough to ignore.
@paytonmcdermott9111 WROTE: / 5 days ago
I heard a lot of hand waving and "this probably means this" without much empirical data. Rip
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
“i think” and “probably” repeated over+over - in baby talk form.

Is this what NYT represents?
(i try to ignore.)

Dr Geoff Lindsey / ”Vocal Fry: what it is, who does it, and why people hate it!” / 27min

^^i appreciate this technical analysis of vocal fry. i didn’t know it was “a thing.” ithought it was just beyond-annoying.

Dr Geoff Lindsey
https://www.englishspeechservices.com/homepage-3-2/
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Vocal Fry / Creaky Voice

Post by Bootstrap »

Yeah, I think we're both old, Temp. I find it just as annoying as you do.

I try to let it go, though, it's pretty common these days. And I probably have more vocal fish to fry ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:55 pm Yeah, I think we're both old, Temp. I find it just as annoying as you do.

I try to let it go, though, it's pretty common these days. And I probably have more vocal fish to fry ...
i’m interested in sound and how our senses play roles in our thinking, understanding, choices.
Sounds and smells, etc., factor in, but most often go unnoticed. There’s science to this.
What Are the Five Senses?
The five senses are the five main tools that humans use to perceive the world.
Those senses are sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch.
Elizabeth Holmes seemed to have instinctive talents to use her voice and more, to deceive, on a grand scale.
She deceived many high-profile (esp men) based on .. fairy tales.
viewtopic.php?t=6287

It’s important for (people who notice) to call it out.
i’m thankful for the many messages i received from my elders warning about deceit. It comes when least expected.
And can be tantalizing.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Near the end of Dr Geoff Lindsey’s video above, he refers to UPTALK.
Another speech phenom i noticed, but didn’t think of in analytical terms.

This is in workplace context, but i think it’s a good general reference.

How Uptalk Ruins Your Earning Potential / 4:31min

Table of Contents:
0:00 Uptalk
0:16 Example in Action
1:55 Tonality
2:26 Jeopardy Study
3:20 Applications
4:02 Ron Burgundy?
4:14 Hedging Terms
0 x

UNKNOWN
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:39 pm After viewing this annoying NYT’s video, i noticed a reference to “VOCAL FRY” in Comments.
P.14 RvW / viewtopic.php?t=5042&start=130

NYT Podcasts / “Ending Roe Was Supposed to Reduce Abortions. It Didn’t.” / 22min
Description:
Margot Sanger-Katz,
who writes about health care for The Upshot, explains why the results are not what anyone had expected.
^^interesting maiden? name there. Sanger. :shock:
Found in Comments:
@Shapeguydude WROTE: / 6 days ago
Vocal fry. It's pretty tough to ignore.
@paytonmcdermott9111 WROTE: / 5 days ago
I heard a lot of hand waving and "this probably means this" without much empirical data. Rip
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
“i think” and “probably” repeated over+over - in baby talk form.

Is this what NYT represents?
(i try to ignore.)

Dr Geoff Lindsey / ”Vocal Fry: what it is, who does it, and why people hate it!” / 27min

^^i appreciate this technical analysis of vocal fry. i didn’t know it was “a thing.” ithought it was just beyond-annoying.

Dr Geoff Lindsey
https://www.englishspeechservices.com/homepage-3-2/
I remember a This American Life episode mentioning this about 6 or 7 years ago. Their take was that complaining about it was problematic because women tend to have more vocal fry than men - so for the sake of women's rights we should all try and ignore this awful thing. Incidentally, Ira Glass, the editor and main host of the show, had/has far more vocal fry than any person there.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:56 am I remember a This American Life episode mentioning this about 6 or 7 years ago. Their take was that complaining about it was problematic because women tend to have more vocal fry than men - so for the sake of women's rights we should all try and ignore this awful thing.

Incidentally, Ira Glass, the editor and main host of the show, had/has far more vocal fry than any person there. :P
i’d not heard of This American Life or Ira Glass, i looked up Ira, and see your point.

i agree with Dr Lindsey’s assessment that the general point of vocal fry is to sound aloof, bored, etc.
Language can be used to do that. Language, tone, accent, affectations. It’s interesting. It’s real, and (who knows when/how it all began).

i would be pleased to think “i’m only” running about 6 or 7 years behind you! :lol:
My husband would occasionally say, “my wife lives on Fantasy Island,” i was too honest to protest.

Your post caused me to recall what i now suspect was a precursor to vocal fry .. well, at least, its current popularity+widespread use:

VALLEY TALK / VALLEY SPEAK / VALLEY GIRL

Frank and Moon Zappa Talk "Valley Girl" | Letterman / 12min
✏️ 1982 Description:
“The Zappas play the name game and do valley speak.”
(From "Late Night," air date: 8/10/82)

Personally, i believe this phenom began (probably) in the 1960’s, So Cal .. maybe an offshoot of surfing-beach boy phenom .. picked up by hippies+flower children .. Valerie was there in those years; we were there, early 70’s, “that 60’s life” was a bit tamer, but still strong.

By the time a movie is made, years have passed.

A lot of life is not one color at a time, more PLAID, and/or paisley.

- - - - - - -

Another odd twist in my life has been witnessing authentically young musicians/entertainers presenting themselves on the public stage to share their tender talents on tight budgets (The Ed Sullivan Show was good for this) - now replaced with billionaire matronly females stuffed into spandex+rhinestones prancing around on public stage (as-if) they were teens - it’s both FORMULA and BIG BUSINESS.

Evidently, their audiences are ok with the pretense. And willing to pay handsomely for the weird charade.

This earth can be a strange place to attempt to navigate.
0 x

UNKNOWN