Carbon Removal

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Carbon Removal

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:56 pm
Soloist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm I haven’t seen someone actually use anything that uses less energy then it takes to use alternative forms of power to begin with. It’s irrational to compress sawdust using machines likely powered by coal or petroleum to save on carbon emissions. Hey I got a great idea! You can pay me half of what they get to cut the equivalent amount of emissions. Stop making the “coating” whatever it is, stop wasting energy compressing the sawdust.

Or even a better idea! Eco bricks! Build eco houses! Charge double for them and give people a pat on the back for storing carbon in their walls.
About 10 years ago, we worked with a school district that was using styrofoam plates in the high school cafeteria but apparently came under conviction about the amount of waste that produced. So they bought a recycling machine that used low temperature thermal densification to turn those into bricks. I have no idea if they are still using that or what they ended up doing with the bricks, but the equipment company still exists. They claim you can ship the end product back to their processing center, "where the blocks are converted back into the resources from which they were originally produced." I doubt there's much net energy savings from the complete process, but the landfill might get a little less business.
One imagines it would be possible to have reusable plates and silverware and wash dishes.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:55 pm In their defense, I have wondered why people are going through all the trouble to invent carbon capture machines when plants already exist. If carbon capture were actually serious, all you need to do is build a giant permanent lumber yard. Ok, fine, you can get plants that grow (I mean capture carbon) faster than trees, but the point stands.
Simply reforesting areas that have been deforested would be a great start.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:12 pm
Soloist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm I haven’t seen someone actually use anything that uses less energy then it takes to use alternative forms of power to begin with. It’s irrational to compress sawdust using machines likely powered by coal or petroleum to save on carbon emissions. Hey I got a great idea! You can pay me half of what they get to cut the equivalent amount of emissions. Stop making the “coating” whatever it is, stop wasting energy compressing the sawdust.

Or even a better idea! Eco bricks! Build eco houses! Charge double for them and give people a pat on the back for storing carbon in their walls.
About 10 years ago, we worked with a school district that was using styrofoam plates in the high school cafeteria but apparently came under conviction about the amount of waste that produced. So they bought a recycling machine that used low temperature thermal densification to turn those into bricks. I have no idea if they are still using that or what they ended up doing with the bricks, but the equipment company still exists. They claim you can ship the end product back to their processing center, "where the blocks are converted back into the resources from which they were originally produced." I doubt there's much net energy savings from the complete process, but the landfill might get a little less business.
One imagines it would be possible to have reusable plates and silverware and wash dishes.
Or use compostable plates and forks which are common these days and then just compost them with the rest of the food waste stream.

You have to do a complete energy audit from top to bottom to determine which is more efficient. Because washing metal silverware requires water, energy to heat the water, detergent, etc. And forks and plates made from compostable plant resin require energy to manufacture and ship.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 pm
Or use compostable plates and forks which are common these days and then just compost them with the rest of the food waste stream.

You have to do a complete energy audit from top to bottom to determine which is more efficient. Because washing metal silverware requires water, energy to heat the water, detergent, etc. And forks and plates made from compostable plant resin require energy to manufacture and ship.
You make your own soap. Water doesn't have to be hot to wash dishes. Metal 1 purchase with no more. You can make your own utensils if you so desire from many natural things such as wood or even stone.
I have friends that bought metal plates specifically to cut down on waste. Heating water if you must can be done with only creation of carbon via wood burning which if managed properly, results in planting new trees to replace the used ones. Naturally, that isn't scalable easily, but for anyone desiring to better the environment, toss the plastic and bio-degradable things for home made stuff or... eat with... what God gave you.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:17 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 pm

You make your own soap. Water doesn't have to be hot to wash dishes. Metal 1 purchase with no more. You can make your own utensils if you so desire from many natural things such as wood or even stone.
I have friends that bought metal plates specifically to cut down on waste. Heating water if you must can be done with only creation of carbon via wood burning which if managed properly, results in planting new trees to replace the used ones. Naturally, that isn't scalable easily, but for anyone desiring to better the environment, toss the plastic and bio-degradable things for home made stuff or... eat with... what God gave you.
What you do at home is one thing. I was responding to an institution like a school which is going to have to follow commercial kitchen sanitation standards and use commercial automated dishwashers and such.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:12 pm

And that's exactly what they did at the elementary school across the street. :?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:17 pm Or use compostable plates and forks which are common these days and then just compost them with the rest of the food waste stream.
Whilst paper easily composts (although wax coatings are a problem), the “compostable” plastic-ish utensils and cups actually can’t be composted except in special facilities… which barely exist. And require special pickups. Is it really a good idea to have a truck making a special route for that?
Washing dishes is pretty energy efficient. I mean, we do it in my house every day, plus at the office every day (or at least… I wish we did). It’s not like it’s using a bunch of energy.

There is also this invention called “dishwashers”.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 pm There is also this invention called “dishwashers”.
Is that those things that take a ton of energy to manufacture in China, then they ship them to the US and install them but they don't get the dishes clean anyway?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 pm There is also this invention called “dishwashers”.
Is that those things that take a ton of energy to manufacture in China, then they ship them to the US and install them but they don't get the dishes clean anyway?
You’re thinking of the thing mandated by the Obama adminsitration to hardly use any water. I buy my dishwashers used at yard sales so they don’t have those new dumb requirements. Took a bit of energy (I ate an extra sandwich that day) to get thru the front door and down a narrow hallway.

At my home we just have a sink and a tap. Nobody is going to convince me throwing away dishes EVERY MEAL for 4 people is somehow better than washing dishes.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:34 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 pm
You’re thinking of the thing mandated by the Obama adminsitration to hardly use any water. I buy my dishwashers used at yard sales so they don’t have those new dumb requirements. Took a bit of energy (I ate an extra sandwich that day) to get thru the front door and down a narrow hallway.

At my home we just have a sink and a tap. Nobody is going to convince me throwing away dishes EVERY MEAL for 4 people is somehow better than washing dishes.
Yea the old ones worked better for sure.
0 x